Swiss Travel Pass Flex or not

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2015 at 15:50:44 #807381

hi

we are a family of 5, with 2 kids aged 3 & 6 and a baby. We would like to travel from Adermatt to Zermatt & return 3 days later. Any other travel will be on a mountain trains like The Jungfraujoch & The Gornergrat, So i assume that is 50% off. We are not planning any other train trips, so I don’t know if the pass is worth the cost if we are just doing one return trip.

Do the kids still travel free on the mountain trains?

is there a way to compare the prices with or without the travel pass?

thanks

P.S is there anyway to search the forum posts? perhaps somebody has already posted something similar…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    10 June 2015 at 17:45:01 #843757

Hi alzoo,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You can search the website, including the forums, through the search box at the top of the page.

There’s indeed a way to compare regular prices versus various passes. It is explained here. It takes some time but you will definitely find the best option. Please let me know whether that helps you out.

All the passes can be found here. Each pass page explains how it works, children fares, what’s included, where to buy, etc.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2015 at 12:12:20 #843758

Thanks Arno

here is what I have worked out.

Full

• 2 X return train andermatt=Zermatt 292
    • 2 X Gornergrat = 164
    • 2 X Lauterbrunnen – Jungfraujoch 367
    • TOTAL = 823

day rail pass

• 2 X 3 day Rail pass = 478
    • 2 X Gornergrat = 82
    • 2 X Lauterbrunnen – Jungfraujoch 183.6
    • TOTAL = 743.6

Half fare

• 2 X half fare Card = 240
    • 2 X return train andermatt=Zermatt 146
    • 2 X Zermatt Gornergrat = 82
    • 2 X Lauterbrunnen – Jungfraujoch 183.6
    • TOTAL = 651.6
    Annika
    7115 posts
    11 June 2015 at 18:15:23 #843759

Hi alzoo,

Most of your numbers look fine, although I don’t understand how you travel to Lauterbrunnen as this doesn’t seem to be included in your calculations. Apart from that, if all of this takes 3 days you don’t need a Swiss Travel Pass Flex. A 3-day Swiss Travel Pass is cheaper. Either of these passes provides a 25% discount on Jungfraujoch tickets from Wengen, and free traveling to Wengen (see here please). That’s CHF 127.50 per person. I would recommend to travel back via Grindelwald for more diversity, but that doesn’t change much financially.

Note that you can save more if you buy your passes online, please see myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price and myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard/price.

I hope this was useful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2015 at 12:23:50 #843760

Hi Annika

apologies I should have stated we are travelling by Car for most of our time in Switzerland. I thought I we could take it easy with the train to Zermatt & return.. that is why I chose the flex. however it seems the half fare pass it cheaper again.

With my calculation for the mountain trains I took 50% off, should I only take 25% as you have written. It states on the website:

Half fare – You get a 50% discount on tickets for trains, buses, boats, city transport and mountain transport;

Flex – Cable cars, cogwheel trains and funiculars are discounted by 50%;

I got the impression I could take the train directly from Lauterbrunnen (where we are staying) to Jungfraujoch, or must I only leave from Wengen. on the shop.jungfrau.ch/en/ti ckets/bergbahn I could choose Lauterbrunnen as the departure.

thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Alex

Annika
    7115 posts
    12 June 2015 at 16:01:44 #843761

Hi Alex,

The Swiss Half Fare Card is indeed (in general) the best choice for drivers. Both the Swiss Half Fare Card and the Swiss Travel Pass Flex offer 50% off on cable cars and cogwheel trains, but there are a few exceptions for the latter. Please see myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpassflex/validity. You can purchase the Swiss Half Fare Cards through http://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/swiss-half-fare-card or any of the other points of sale listed on myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard/price.

You can travel to Jungfraujoch from any station. Lauterbrunnen is perfect as trains to Kleine Scheidegg depart there, so with one change you’ll reach Jungfraujoch. Wengen is perfect too but you can’t get there by car. Be sure not to buy fixed date tickets in advance. If the weather is bad there’s no point in going up.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Flex or not’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.