About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Swiss Travel Pass validity coming from Germany
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Swiss Travel Pass validity coming from Germany

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Sargentwendy
Sargentwendy
5 posts
Jun 7, 2022 - 12:48 AM

Three of us in our family are traveling from Munich to Luzern on Sunday, July 10, 2022. Our Swiss rail pass (already purchase through one of your recommended sellers is for 8 days consecutive - 2nd class) and it will be going into effect on July 10th. I understand that I need to have a reservation - or a purchased ticket -for train travel in Germany. Once I get to Zurich I would like my Swiss Rail pass to go into effect and not cost us anything for the Zurich to Luzern portion of the trip.

What is the best way for me to proceed? Should I buy all 3 seats now? The three of us want to sit together and we are willing to pay a little extra just to make sure that we have 3 seats together. I believe seat reservations may not be recommended in general here, but since the three of us want to definitely sit next to each other, I believe we should purchase seat reservations just to be on the safe side. Agree?

Can you tell me the best way to secure our tickets given these parameters? We would be willing to pay a little more if it reduced a fair amount of travel time because it will be a fairly long day of travel including the 2-hour (roughly) car travel time getting to Munich as well as the turning in of our car rental. There are so many variables here so I don't know how to sort through all the ticket choices efficiently.

Can you help me with some ideas?

I know that the scenic part of the Golden Rail Pass train route doesn't begin until after we leave Luzern so I am not particularly concerned with the train route, and in this case time efficiency is more important to me than taking a particular route. I would like, however, to be assured that connecting times give us enough time to move from one platform to another and that we won't miss our next train! (Pleasantly, that doesn't seem to happen very often in efficient Switzerland!:-)

And, finally, I can't guarantee our "available" departure time precisely from Munich in selecting our specific choice of train because we there is no way to predict with complete accuracy our driving time due to potential detours or accidents, etc.. I would like to err on the cautious side giving us some extra time for mishaps, and I would rather not be in a big rush with our final selection of train.

I would be SO grateful if you could help me take all these factors into account and suggest the best way that I should proceed with getting my 3 tickets - hopefully in advance - unless you recommend otherwise.

THANK YOU, VERY, VERY MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!!

Best Regards -

Ildiko
Ildiko
2575 posts
expert &
Jun 7, 2022 - 9:38 AM in reply to Sargentwendy

Hi Sargentwendy,

If you would like to reserve your seats for the Zürich - Lucerne trip, you can do that here: www.myswissalps.com/train/reservations/price . But you are right, we belive that no seat reservation is needed :)

Regarding the Munich - Zürich trip, you only need to buy a train ticket from Munich to the border (St. Margrethen SG). From the border to Zürich you can use your valid Swiss Travel Pass. (Learn more: www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/germany/).

Swiss connecting times can be very short, it is also part of the effective Swiss rail system. If the SBB timetable shows a short connection time, no worries, it will be doable.

So from Munich to Zurich and further to Lucerne? This is what you are looking for?

The Zurich - Lucerne trip is quite short, only 40-50 mins with no change. If you do not have a seat reservation, you can hop on to any train - with your Swiss Travel Pass.

According to the timetable, on July 10 you could travel by these direct trains from Munich to Zurich:

• EC 192, dep: 12:55. arr: 16:27 (no change)
  • EC 190, dep: 14:55. arr: 18:27 (no change)
  • EC 98, dep: 16:52. arr: 20:27 (no change)

There are many direc trains from Zürich to Lucerne, so probably that won't be difficult to choose from. If you worry that the German train might be late a bit, allow more time between the connections. Like 30 mins. Or even longer so you can go to visit Zurich. (You can leave your luggage at the train station).

I hope this helps a bit,

Ildiko

Last modified on Nov 24, 2022 - 6:36 PM by Arno

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022