Mar 30, 2018 - 4:52 AM
in reply to debraquade
Here is some info to supplement what rockoyster has already provided.
>> I am planning a trip in mid October from Basel and am wondering about weather conditions.
The weather will be very chilly. There may or may not be snow at higher altitudes. Other aspects such as rain and cloud cover are unpredictable.
>> WE would want to hit the highlights like Matterhorn, Bern, Zermatt, Luzerne , Geneva
- The Gornergrat railway in Zermatt, from where you can view the Matterhorn, will be running.
- The winter 2018/19 timetable for the cableway from Zermatt to Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise has not been released yet, but based on the 2017/18 timetable, the top section (between Trockener Steg and Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise) will probably not be operating between 29 October and 9 November 2018.
- Pilatus: The cableway from Kriens to Pilatus Kulm will be closed for maintenance from 22 Oct until 9 Nov 2018, but you can still go up and back on the cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm. The cogwheel railway operates until 18 November before closing for the winter.
- Rigi: all modes of transport to the Rigi will be operating in the second half of October.
- Stanserhorn funicular and cable car: operating until 18 November.
- Titlis gondola: operating until 4 November, before closing 5-16 November for maintenance.
- The Schwyz–Stoos funicular (world's steepest funicular) will be operating until 18 November.
>> are excited about the Glacier Express and other scenic rail trips.
The Glacier Express and Gotthard Panorama Express trains only run until 14 October, before taking a break. You could still travel along the same routes in regional trains though.
If you plan on incorporating scenic train trips into your itinerary, your overnight stops should be chosen with those routes and travel times in mind. There is a map of the panoramic routes to help with your planning: it is attached to the map showing where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid, and you can download it from the following page:
Approximate travel times for the scenic routes (one way) are as follows:
- Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz: 8 hours
- Golden Pass Line (part) from Luzern to Interlaken Ost: almost 2 hours
- Golden Pass line (part) from Interlaken Ost to Montreux: 3 hours
- Gotthard Panorama Express (boat and train) from Luzern to Lugano: 5.5 hours
- Palm Express (PostBus) from Lugano to St Moritz: almost 4 hours
- Voralpen-Express from Luzern to St. Gallen: 2.25 hours
- RegioExpress Lötschberger (full) from Bern to Brig: 1.75 hours
- RegioExpress Lötschberger (part) from Spiez to Brig: Just over 1 hour
- Centovalli Railway from Locarno to Domodossola: 1.75 hours
If you want to calculate travel time for short sectors along these routes, you can use the Swiss Timetable:
Last modified on Mar 30, 2018 - 8:17 AM by Arno