Train from Lucerne to Bern & rail pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    30 March 2018 at 7:26:34 #880155

Hello again Faye !

I can’t believe what just happened ! I had done a whole bit about the French part of Switzerland and then, all of a sudden, my computer decided to shut down and then, just as quickly, started up again. I think that Windows was doing some updates. Anyway, when I got back up, everything I had done in my next post was gone ! 😓 I think I am going to give this a break. All I am going to do now is thank Rockoyster for posting a link that shows the linguistic regions of Switzerland, and upload another map that kind of shows the same thing, but in a different way. This new one has four colours for the four languages but then a whole lot of white. The colours are for the effectively-settled parts of the country and the white is for the lakes and mountains, which are not effectively settled. However, you can see fingers of colour running up the valleys. A good example of this is the Rhone valley in the Valais. Okay, I am going to upload and save before something else happens. More later today, I hope.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2018 at 16:53:08 #880156

Hi Peterli

Some nice ideas there for us for our upcoming week in Ticino in early June. We decided we needed to dedicate a trip just to this area as we haven’t explored it before – it is too far away from our usual base for day trips and deserves a proper visit!

May come to you, Rockoyster and Alpenrose for more advice soon.

Maggie

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    1 April 2018 at 0:01:32 #880157

Hi Maggie,

I am sure you will enjoy your explorations in the Ticino. I’ll add a couple more attachments here. The first is a map showing the region of the Ticino to the west of the Ticino River (Bellinzona) and north of Lago Maggiore (Locarno). You will note that there are no railways running up into this region, just the one coming eastward from Domodossola to Locarno and then on towards Bellinzona, but you can get around fairly well by Postal Car or automobile. I prefer the latter as it gives me much more freedom of movement. The second is a Swiss postage stamp, issued in 2016, which shows the Ponte dei salti which is just up the river from Lavortezzo, and dates back to the Middle Ages. It was rebuilt in 1960 and is one of the big attractions in the Verzasca Valley. I saw it referred to as the Jump Bridge. Dei salti is translated as “of the jumps” but I believe the better translation in this case is “rapids” (like sault in French) On the map you will notice, just north of Locarno, up a separate road, a place called Mergoscia. I have never been there but friends have and they speak highly of it. You can google the word and see whether it looks interesting. In fact, you can google as many of these place names as you wish to get a better idea of what you might want to include in your itinerary. Have fun in this other region of Switzerland !

Aha ! Here’s where I saw it called the Jump Bridge. http://www.ticino.ch/en/commo ns/details/The-romanic-bridge-Ponte-dei-salti-/2707.html. I know salto is jump in Italian but I still don’t agree with the translation in this case.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    1 April 2018 at 0:25:01 #880158

I guess I really should be doing this in a new thread, but here is a map showing public transportation in the Ticino.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    3 April 2018 at 5:29:36 #880159

Hi Peterli,

Thank you so much for sending this detailed French and Italian regions of Switzerland! A lot of useful info here and we wish we have one month to spend there so we can explore these regions as well, but we’ll save this useful thread for our future travel. I have heard so much about Ticino, Lugano and Lago Maggiore. Beautiful places!

We’ll read more of the helpful tips here tomorrow and respond accordingly. Thanks again Peterli. Talk later.

Faye

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    3 April 2018 at 5:35:33 #880160

So sorry about what happened, Peterli. What a bummer! I really appreciate you putting time and effort on giving very helpful information.

I plan to resume doing our itinerary tomorrow. It has been a very busy weekend and hope to finish this in a couple of days. I can’t believe pur trip is a month away. I hope the weather gets better. I check almost everyday and it still called to most places we are going to.

Okay, really falling asleep now so I will talk to you tomorrow. Have a great day!

Faye

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    3 April 2018 at 7:11:03 #880161

Hej,

I’ve been pretty busy these last few days, as I have two short trips to make in the next two weeks (leaving tomorrow). I wasn’t too worried about the stuff that I lost because it was all about the French-speaking part of Switzerland, and I know you will not be spending that much time in this region. I know you are planning on staying in Montreux for a few days, so whatever you see and do from there will be your Romandie experience, at least for this trip. To get an idea what each of the places I am going to mention is about, I suggest that you google each of the words that I have put in bold. No doubt you will want to go le Château de Chillon at Veytaux, and take the little train up to the nearby Rochers de Naye http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-ca/rochers-de-naye-viewpoint-above-montreux.html. Further afield, I would suggest a trip to Gruyères (cheese-making and a pedestrian-only cobblestone street leading up to the château) and Broc (Cailler chocolate). You might enjoy the old walled town in Morat where you can walk along some of the remparts, and the Roman amphitheatre in Avenches. I would also recommend taking one of the lake boats along the side of the Léman (Lake Geneva) and if the weather is nice and time permits, I would definitely go over to Yvoire in France on the opposite side of the lake (across from Nyon). http://www.yvoire-france.com/ By the way, there is also a Roman amphitheatre in Nyon. If you want to see some spectacular caves, go to Les Grottes de Vallorbe, to the NW of Lausanne, grottesdevallorbe.ch/ and the nearby Lac de Joux is also lovely. You might also enjoy Chaplin’s World in Corsier-sur-Vevey. http://www.chaplinsworld.com/ en There is also the Clin d’Ailes, the Swiss Air Force museum near Payerne http://www.clindailes.ch/ and the largest Roman mosaic is at the nearby Musée Romain de Vallon. http://www.museevallon.ch/mrv a/There are also roman mosaics in Orbe, a short distance north of Lausanne. http://www.region-du-leman.ch/en/P522/orbe-roman-mosaics. I ended up putting in a few links, but not all of them. Some of them may be in French only, but many will be in English and if not, will have a British flag to click on for English

All the places I have mentioned are in either the cantons of Vaud or Fribourg. There are also some very interesting places further north, in the canton of Neuchâtel and the Jura Bernois, but I don’t think you will have time for these.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 23:26:38 #880162

Hi Peterli

Thanks for your suggestions for Ticino!

I have also made a note of a few ideas from your last post as well. we have visited quite a few places you mention in French speaking Switzerland as they are in reasonable reach of our base in Thun area but there are others we haven’t been to yet.

Maggie

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    4 April 2018 at 4:16:18 #880163

Thank you, rockoyster. We are glad we are going to Geneva even just for a little bit.

Faye

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    4 April 2018 at 4:19:27 #880164

Hello Arno,

Thank you for the helpful information. We didn’t know that there’s a Riviera Card that hotels in Montreux give for free. Thanks again!

Faye

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    4 April 2018 at 4:45:56 #880165

Hi Peterli,

You have given so much information on what to do and where to go in different place we are headed to. These places are beautiful… I hope we can get to fit everything in our itinerary. Thank you so much for taking the time, I know you are very busy for your trips that started today. Enjoy and I will talk to you later. Take care!

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    5 April 2018 at 0:47:18 #880166

Hi rockoyster,

We just heard from our travel again that our ticket from Lucern to Interlaken is a Golden Pass ticket. Would that mean that it’s only a one way ticket? Is there a Golden Pass one way ticket? Will it be more cost effective if we get say the 1, 3, 5 or 15 day pass? My apology, I am just very confused with the different kinds of passes Switzerland offers. I have to read the different passes on SwissAlp’s website.

Thanks for your help!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 3:21:59 #880167

Hello Faye,

A ticket from Lucerne to Interlaken sounds to me like a one way ticket. The term “Golden Pass” may be confusing you. It doesn’t refer to a travel pass but to a train route – the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass).

The Luzern to Interlaken Express follows the Golden Pass route and is the most scenic way to get between those two towns.

It’s impossible to say which Swiss Travel Pass would suit you best given the journeys that are already factored in to package.

All I can do is repeat the advice to read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

My gut feeling is that because you have several trips covered you may want to focus on the Swiss Half-fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard) or a Swiss Travel Pass Flex (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex) covering a suitable number of days.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    5 April 2018 at 3:38:02 #880168

Hi rockoyster,

Thank you so much for your insight. You guys are truly the best here. Have a great night!

Faye

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 3:44:01 #880169

It’s lunch time in Australia Faye! But I will try to follow your advice and indeed have a great night. Don’t let that spreadsheet give you a headache.😎

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    5 April 2018 at 4:00:27 #880170

Oh… Thought you were in Switzerland. 🙂 I was wondering why you were up so early as it is showing 3:21 AM on your reply. 🙂 Well, hope you’re having a great day Mr. rockoyster. I do hope it doesn’t give me a headache. Haha!

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    5 April 2018 at 4:16:03 #880171

Hi again rockoyster,

I always forget to ask which village to stay better; Murren or Wengen? I have booked a hotel in Murren and Wengen as I am not sure which one is more ideal to easily get to attractions? They are free cancellation. 🙂 Thank you!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 4:38:16 #880172

I would pick Wengen. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/permalink/gY 5txqDW9mqS6v8AAFcRTQ.

If you go back to the start of that thread you will find the definitive guide to the area.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    10 April 2018 at 5:41:25 #880173

Thank you rockoyster. We will be staying in Wengen.

Also, we only have a day and a half to spend in Montreux. Peterli mentioned that there are a lot of nice places to see there but with such a short time, not sure what we can fit in our schedule other than the le Chateau de Chillon at Veytaux. Peterli mentioned:

” No doubt you will want to go le Château de Chillon at Veytaux, and take the little train up to the nearby Rochers de Naye. Further afield, I would suggest a trip to Gruyères (cheese-making and a pedestrian-only cobblestone street leading up to the château) and Broc (Cailler chocolate). “

Can we do all of the above or that is too ambitious?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2018 at 6:35:41 #880174

Hello MrsM,

I’m afraid that part of Switzerland is not one I have yet had the opportunity to enjoy so I have no first hand knowledge of the area. No doubt Peterlii will come back to you on that one.

You will have already travelled from Montbovon to Montreux so getting back to Gruyères will mean you will be doubling back that way. How about a cruise on Lake Geneva? Maybe from Lausanne over to the medieval village of Yvoire(http://www.yvoire-france.com) in France.

The best I can advise in the meantime is to check the SBB Timetable to find the quickest route to the various places you want to visit.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • The thread ‘Train from Lucerne to Bern & rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.