Easiest route between Interlaken & Füssen Germany

• lizzy
    Participant
    7 posts
    11 January 2019 at 14:42:16 #819444

Me and my two sons will be traveling from Interlaken Switzerland and making the long journey to Fussen. I am trying to figure out the best way to get there. I used the Bahn.com website and they gave me a train route ( I posted it below ) I was wondering if anyone ever did this route before or if there is an easier way. Also they list several train stations online in Fussen area I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to which is the right one

Here were the choices

Füssen

Füssen Pulverturm

Füssen Tiroler Straße

Füssen Ziegelwies

Since I really don’t want to be lost alone with two boys on the train if you can help me

I would be very grateful . Any help on if I should use the Swis Pass for this or just pay for this journey would also be appreciate

Thanks for all the help !!

Interlaken Ost dep 09:00 7 IC 964 Intercity Direction: Basel SBB

Number of bicycles conveyed limited , Reservation optional , business-compartment , Bordrestaurant , handy/quiet zones , parent-and-children compartment

Operator: SBB

Bern arr 09:52 6

Transfer time 10 min. Adjust the transfer time

Bern dep 10:02 2 IC 813 Intercity Direction: Romanshorn

Number of bicycles conveyed limited , Reservation optional , business-compartment , Bordrestaurant , handy/quiet zones , parent-and-children compartment

Operator: SBB

Zürich HB arr 10:58 33

Transfer time 11 min. Adjust the transfer time

Zürich HB dep 11:09 5 IR 3265 Interregio Direction: St. Gallen

Number of bicycles conveyed limited

Operator: SBB, SBB, SBB

St. Margrethen arr 12:47 2

Transfer time 8 min. Adjust the transfer time

St. Margrethen dep 12:55 S 3 S-Bahn Direction: Bregenz

Number of bicycles conveyed limited , 2nd class only , It is mandatory to hold a valid ticket in local lines (REX, R, S-Bahn) , space for wheelchairs , Wheelchair space – For advance notification, call +43 5 1717 , Low-floor coach , WC with limited accessibility for wheelchair

Operator: Österreichische Bundesbahnen

Bregenz arr 13:10

Transfer time 10 min. Adjust the transfer time

Bregenz dep 13:20 S 1 S-Bahn Direction: Lindau Hbf

Number of bicycles conveyed limited , 2nd class only , It is mandatory to hold a valid ticket in local lines (REX, R, S-Bahn) , space for wheelchairs , Wheelchair space – For advance notification, call +43 5 1717 , Low-floor coach , WC with limited accessibility for wheelchair

Operator: Österreichische Bundesbahnen

Lindau Hbf arr 13:32 1

Transfer time 9 min. Adjust the transfer time

Lindau Hbf dep 13:41 5 RB 22867 Regionalbahn Direction: Kißlegg

Number of bicycles conveyed limited , 2nd class only , vehicle-mounted accessaid

Operator: DB ZugBus Regionalverkehr Alb-Bodensee

Hergatz arr 13:56 2

Transfer time 18 min. Adjust the transfer time

Hergatz dep 14:14 1 ALX84111 alex – Die Länderbahn GmbH DLB Direction: München Hbf Gl.27-36

Number of bicycles conveyed limited , Tickets available on board train , space for wheelchairs , vehicle-mounted accessaid

Operator: alex – Die Länderbahn GmbH DLB

Kaufbeuren arr 15:42 2

Transfer time 18 min. Adjust the transfer time

Kaufbeuren dep 16:00 1 BRB62783 Bayerische Regiobahn Direction: Füssen

Number of bicycles conveyed limited , Behindertengerechte Ausstattung

Operator: Bayerische Regiobahn

Füssen arr 16:58

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 16:15:20 #901931

Hi Lizzy and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It is a long trip between those 2 towns – you mean Füssen in Germany yes?

The Swiss railways timetable will give you the most direct routes available be default: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It will be about 8 hours and between 4 and 6 changes. “Füssen” with no other names would be the main station in town which is what you most likely want.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2019 at 1:25:46 #901932

Firstly Füssen has only one main railway station (a terminus). All the other names you see will be local bus stops

A better option than your one is to try and fit your journey to suit the Eurocity Zurich – Munich services, which avoids many changes of local train.

Therefore my advice is to travel as follows:

Interlaken Ost ab 10:30 7 IC 1066 Intercity Richtung: Basel SBB
    Bern arrive 11:24 p4

Bern dep 11:32 p7 IC 715 Intercity Richtung: St. Gallen(CH)

Zürich HB arr 12:28 p34

Zürich HB dep 13:02 p12 EC 195 Eurocity Richtung: München Hbf

Buchloe arr 16:56 p2

Buchloe dep 17:47 p4 BRB62797 Bayerische Regiobahn Richtung: Füssen

Of course on this basis you could also leave Interlaken earlier and have a longer break (for lunch?) at Zurich or St Gallen

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    12 January 2019 at 18:27:21 #901933

I thoroughly enjoy riding regional trains in Germany because although they clip along they are somewhat slower than the fast ICE and EC expresses. And you get to see the scenery along the way. Sometimes in the fast trains it’s all a blur and you don’t know where you are.

But if it’s the destination you want perhaps the suggestion by 1960man is a good one.

Depending on when you’re travelling you’ll probably be able to get a good advance purchase ticket (at considerable saving on the regular fare) through http://www.bahn.de

The advance purchase tickets issued by DB commit you to a specific train and, as I discovered last year, any additional travel (in Germany) by regional train as would be the case getting to Fussen is part of the deal (all indicated on the same ticket).

So, I’d suggest looking at two tickets. Getting from Intrerlaken Ost to Zurich, you might have some flexibility with your Swiss pass. Or simply purchase one way tickets from Interlaken Ost to Zurich. There may be an advance purchase option here too but others are better experienced to advise you about that.

We all experience the occasional frustration in our travels but that’s VERY MUCH the exception rather than the rule. There is no need to be worried about being “lost alone with two boys on the train”. But as always PPPPP applies; prior planning prevents poor performance.

My only suggestion is to make sure you allow good time when changing trains especially if you have the two boys and luggage. Connections in Switzerland are “guaranteed” but sometimes it can be a bit of a rush especially if you have to change platforms and use the stairs. It’s sometimes better to take your time and catch the following train when you are “in transit” and have luggage and/or children.

So, as 1960man suggested, taking an earlier train may be another option.

You’ve asked a very good and thought provoking question and I’m sure you’ll all be fine. The are good resources on here but, personally, I can’t help but reiterate the PPPPP concept.

Enjoy your travels – and I’m sure everyone on here will be interested to hear how you got on.

lizzy
    Participant
    7 posts
    12 January 2019 at 19:29:11 #901934

Thank you all so much for you suggestions I will look into getting ticket through Zurich to Munich .

I have another question that hopefully can be answered , We will be in the Bernese Oberland region, we are staying in Wengen for 7 days .. We are traveling from Zurich airport straight to Wengen then spending out 6 days out and about and then as mentioned heading to Fussen Germany

What type of rail pass. do we get? Would this include my round trip to Zurich and back

IT is one adult and two kids under 15 and I understand kids are free?? If someone can advise me which would be the best pass to purchase I would be grateful – it seems quite confusing someone mentioned Swiss pass then I hear another day pass option.. I’m a bit perplexed

thank you !!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 January 2019 at 20:33:18 #901935

The most appropriate pass (if any) depends entirely on your personal itinerary.

If your kids are under 16 the they travel free if they have a Swiss Family Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard) which is free when acquired with a Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) or a Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard).

As you are spending most of your time in Wengen you could look at a Jungfrau Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass) or a Bernese Oberland Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and). An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass has the advantage of also getting you to and from Zurich.

You really should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

lizzy
    Participant
    7 posts
    12 January 2019 at 20:38:12 #901936

Thank you for the pass info

I am wondering what pass is used for the round trip Zurich to Wengen and return trips ?

Does that pass have us ride for just the fee of the pass ?

Would that be a Swiss pass? someone mentions a golden pass is that different

I tried to do the daily itinerary to determine which pass but sometimes

things are not in your control like the weather … achey joints and you alter your plans at times

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 January 2019 at 20:48:15 #901937

The Swiss Travel Pass (not Swiss Pass – that is not for tourists) is the most flexible and has the most comprehensive coverage. Look at the map you can download at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

The Golden Pass is a train line and not a pass at all. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 10:29:58 #901938

Yes, if you want to be as flexible as possible on your trip then the Swiss Travel Pass is best by far (and it is only option to also cover Zurich airport to Wengen).

The other regional passes are good for flexibility as well but only within their “region” as opposed to all of Switzerland with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Be sure to download the PDF map for each pass on the “where it’s valid” tab on each rail pass’s page (links from Rockoyster’s post).

Also, to compare ticket prices from Switzerland to Germany look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany/pri ce – If you have a valid Swiss Travel Pass on the day of travel to Germany, you’ll only need a ticket from the Swiss-German border to Füssen (most likely St Margrethen but it will depend on the route you take).

• The thread ‘Easiest route between Interlaken & Füssen Germany’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.