Travel in/around the Jungfrau region

• Rlyons9999
    Participant
    16 posts
    26 March 2023 at 16:25:35 #829418

This is an amazing site and I greatly appreciate all of the wonderful information you provide. My wife and I will be staying in Wengen this summer and using it as a base to travel around the Jungfrau region. We plan to purchase the BOP since it appears to cover most all of this area. We will fly to Zurich and take the train to Wengen. I have four questions:

1. It seems that most all of the areas we will be visiting will be covered by the BOP. There are many threads indicating a benefit to also purchasing a second pass such as the Swiss half fare card. Do you think we would benefit from the purchase of a second pass?

2. If we elect to only purchase the BOP, would we purchase a separate regular train fare from Zurich to Lucerne and then use the BOP to cover the rest of the trip to Wengen?

3. When using the BOP, do we still need to go to the ticket office and acquire a ticket or do we simply just hop on the train/bus/cable etc. ? I assume that if the BOP only covers a portion of the fare, then we would have to first go to the ticket office.

4. Generally speaking, is theft much of an issue with luggage placed in the racks on the train? Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    26 March 2023 at 18:19:54 #952612

Hello Rlyons9999,

Thank you for your kind words for our website!

In answer to your questions:

1. If most of your travel will be mainly in the Bernese Oberland, for sure it makes sense to purchase the Berner Oberland Pass. The Swiss Half Fare Card, would be sensible add-on, if you intend to make a few trips outside the Berner Oberland Pass validity area, as the regular fare tickets can get expensive. More details here: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard

Did you use our ‘How to choose a rail pass’ calculation sheet? This is the best way to make sure. https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

2. Correct, if you have purchased the Berner Oberland Pass – the travel to Wengen via Lucerne, would require you to purchase a ticket from Zurich to Lucerne. You can actually travel to Wengen via Bern too. This route is quicker, naturally, via this route, you would need a ticket for Zurich to Bern. Do use the timetable link to plan your route: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable and here is the Berner Oberland Pass coverage map: https://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity

3. For most travel within the Berner Oberland Pass area, no additional tickets are required. You simply show your pass when requested. https://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/howtouse. There are just a few exceptions for which you need additional discounted tickets.

Yes, correct, you would need to purchase a ticket for the journeys outside of the Berner Oberland Pass area. This would need to be prior to boarding your train. (Failure to do so can result in a fine, if asked by an inspector).

4. Theft is uncommon but it does occur. Better to be safe and just keep an eye on your luggage whilst on the train.

I hope all is clarified, feel free to reach out if there are further questions.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    27 March 2023 at 14:08:16 #952613

Sorry to jump in

But I was finding the Top of Europe Pass better value then BO pass? I find BO pass give a couple of extras like Titlis / Golden pass Line (upto Saanen) . Am I missing something?

Anna
    6362 posts
    27 March 2023 at 15:59:56 #952614

Hi Sanjeev,

The Berner Oberland Pass has a much bigger coverage than the Top of Europe Pass.

You can view the Berner Oberland Pass validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity

Regards,

Anna

Ventsislav
    Participant
    75 posts
    27 March 2023 at 18:43:31 #952615

BOP covers everything in the Junfrau region except the train up from Eiger Glacier train station, and the cable car from Murren up. As far as I have checked, you still need to go to the counter to get your free ticket on the cablecars and the furniculars,

Calculations show that buying a Swiss Half Fare Card and BOP is a very good investment. Actually, if you buy a 6 or more day BOP and you have a SHFC it is actually cheaper than just having a BOP.

sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    28 March 2023 at 3:54:49 #952616

Thanks for your replies . I was looking at this TOP OF EUROPE WINTER PASS, need for 3 days only from April 21, 2023

http://www.jungfrau.ch/de-ch/top-of-europe-winter-pass/#1357

This says for 3 days with HFC: CHF 179. The BO Pass is CHF 150 . I like to visit Jungfrau and I think in TOP OF EUROPE WINTER PASS includes it.

Am I missing?

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 March 2023 at 8:19:13 #952617

Hi Sanjeev,

Yes, one ride to Jungfraujoch is included in the Top of Europe Pass. If you need it before April 30, you can use the winter version. It looks like the Top of Europe Pass will be discontinued after that.

Whether this is better than a Berner Oberland Pass, depends on the rest of your plans. The Berner Oberland Pass is much better if you plan to visit a a larger area. If you want to make sure what’s the cheapest option, you can run calculations as explained here: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

Rlyons9999
    Participant
    16 posts
    28 March 2023 at 20:21:49 #952618

Anna – Many thanks for your thoughtful response. Much appreciated

sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    29 March 2023 at 2:21:45 #952619

Can I have MySwissAlps area of Validity for TOP OF EUROPE WINTER PASS. I am sorry I did not find, even on repeated search

Understandings MySwissAlps is much more better and also simpler

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    29 March 2023 at 11:56:56 #952620

Thank you sanjeev,

Sorry, we do not have a coverage map for the Top of Europe Winter Pass on our website. This pass was ‘created’ during corona and will actually be discontinued.

I assume you found the one on the Jungfrau website?

Kind regards,

Yolanda

sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    29 March 2023 at 12:17:44 #952621

Yes, that I have given in my Mar28 reply.

Understanding on MySwissAlps is much easier.. I can see BO Pass Validity. Some like it if I have Top of Europe Validity pass, then i can see and decide which one would be better for me.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    29 March 2023 at 12:22:51 #952622

Apologies Sanjeev,

I may have misunderstood, are you trying to decide between buying the Berner Oberland Pass or buying the Top of Europe Pass?

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    29 March 2023 at 16:38:06 #952623

Hi Rlyons9999,

In regards to question 3, basically as I understand the BOP, it works similar to the Swiss Travel Pass in that on boats, trains and busses, you can hop on/hop off as long as you have the pass to show when/if asked by an inspector. However, with cable cars (and I assume funiculars) you will need a pass to board. This is usually in the form of what looks like a credit card that you will swipe upon entering the cable cars (and, I believe while exiting too). That’s how it was in September 2018 when I went, and I assume it’s still so. If I recall correctly, I believe in some places they offered a small rebate of some kind if one returned the card in the way of recycling, but I can’t be positive. Perhaps the experts, or those recently traveling there can verify. You’re going to have a good time, enjoy.

Regards,

Danielsan

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    30 March 2023 at 9:33:49 #952624

Thank you Danielsan 🙂

Yes, the Berner Oberland Pass ‘operates’ the same as the Swiss Travel Pass 🙂

For additional tickets for the cable car/funicular, yes, these come in either the ‘credit card’ or paper form. I have witnessed both.

When I was in the Jungfrau area last month, they were in paper form.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Travel in/around the Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.