Travel with 4 year old and 1 year old Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2017 at 20:10:14 #810511

Hello!

I am looking to come to the Jungfraujoch area the end of January for a visit for my birthday. We would stay in Grindelwald but I want to try out some trains and gondolas etc for the amazing views. I heard heading to the top might not be the best idea with such young kids and altitude sickness. Are there any recommendations of what we can do to keep the kids safe but see some amazing mountain views? The 4 year old is pretty good with hiking and we use a backpack for the baby. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We plan on staying in the area for 3 days or so and then drive back home to Germany.

Thanks again!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7094 posts
    3 January 2017 at 10:35:52 #857739

Hi jaquet21, thanks for joining us!

You’re right, you should be cautious when bringing along an infant to such altitudes. It’s explained at our Jungfraujoch page. You’d best consult your doctor first. If you’re hesitant, note that there are lots of alternatives that are less high and still offer amazing views, such as Kleine Scheidegg (half-way up to Jungfraujoch), Männlichen and First. Our Bernese Oberland page offers further suggestions. Does that help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2017 at 12:02:20 #857740

Hi Annika!

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes I did check that out- but honestly do you think its better to do this trip in the spring? We don’t live too far and will definitely come as I cannot wait to see it but im wondering if winter time is a bit much with small kids to be out for a lot of the day. Thoughts?

Annika
    7094 posts
    3 January 2017 at 15:38:00 #857741

Hi jaquet21!

Winter and spring will offer quite different experiences. Weather wise there are no guarantees in any season. Winter holidays allow you to enjoy snow-capped, cosy landscapes, especially in the Jungfrau region. Spring can be more varied, but this highly depends on the exact timing of your visit. Note that late March to early or mid May are low season, meaning that quite some cable cars and mountain trains will be shut down and hotels in typical tourist resorts may also be closed. The second half of May and June would be better in that case, but it all depends on your wishes. Even in low season you can have a very enjoyable stay with wonderful scenic trips. Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn will still be accessible, and there are lots of scenic train trips to be made. I suggest you check this page and then discuss your priorities and your children’s abilities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2017 at 9:54:15 #857742

Hi

we a grouo of 3 families are planning to visit Switzerland on May7th to May12th

There would be 1.5year old kids as well

Could yiu help in listing out the places to visit where our preference is scenic trip .We would even love to visit cou try sides and village stays as well to have a really relaxing ambience

We have took eurail pass and we believe that is enough to travel throughout swiss

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 January 2017 at 10:08:11 #857743

Hi anazo707,

This is jaquet21’s thread. Please post this in a new thread here. Before you do, you may want to take a look in the main menu to learn about regions/towns and activities so you can post more detailed questions.

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2017 at 11:00:08 #857744

Noted

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2017 at 19:40:25 #857745

Ok thanks. We will be coming- as i just booked hotel accommodations. I hope to do some Sledging in Männlichen and hopefully take the cog up halfway to Kleine Scheidegg. Any recommendations on hikes that last about 2 hours? I will check out those pages and any other suggestions are gladly welcomed! Do we just get tickets to Kleine at the base? We are staying in Grindelwald. Thanks again.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 January 2017 at 10:40:35 #857746

Hi Jaquet21,

You’ll find hiking suggestions on the Jungfrau region page. Not all trails will be accessible in winter, but Grütschalp to Mürren and Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg should be open and don’t take too long. The tourist office can provide more suggestions based on the weather when you’re there.

I don’t understand your ticket question, please elaborate on that and I’ll be glad to help you out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2017 at 7:38:48 #857747

Hello,

Ok the hikes look great and I’d like to go sledging as well. Both options would be perfect. I was looking into tickets now for hiking and sledging but its so confusing. How does that work for 2 adults, a baby and a 4 year old? do we get day passes or just tickets for individual things? what does the family card give you? As for the cogtrains, cablecars- any suggestions on those to get out of the cold for a few and see some sites? We will check the tourism office but with discounts I should probably work that out beforehand? Thanks again! We leave Friday!

Meredith

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2017 at 14:13:28 #857748

>> Ok the hikes look great and I’d like to go sledging as well. Both options would be perfect. I was looking into tickets now for hiking and sledging but its so confusing. How does that work for 2 adults, a baby and a 4 year old? do we get day passes or just tickets for individual things? what does the family card give you?

Hi Meredith. Depending on your plans, you could buy individual tickets, get a Hiking and Sledging Pass (available for between 2 and 7 days), a Grindelwald-First Sledging Day Pass or a Kleine Scheidegg-Wengen Sledging Day Pass. As you are staying in Grindelwald, you could get your tickets or pass from Grindelwald Railway station. There are no prices listed for children under 6, so I assume they are free.

Here are some links describing the various passes, with details of routes covered and prices, and a price list for normal tickets to help you work out which option is cheapest for your particular plans.

Hiking and Sledging Pass (whole region)

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauhikingsledgingpa ss

Grindelwald-First sledging day pass

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/sledging/grindelwal d-first-sledging-day-pass/

Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen sledging day pass

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/sledging/kleine-scheidegg-wengen-sledging-day-pass/

Price list for normal tickets

http://www.jungfrau.ch/filead min/Prospekte_und_Bros chueren/Jungfraubahnen _Fahrpreise_Preisliste .pdf

>> As for the cogtrains, cablecars- any suggestions on those to get out of the cold for a few and see some sites?

Trains are heated, but cable cars and gondolas aren’t! Mountaintop restaurants always provide a cosy retreat though!

I have attached a panorama map showing the various modes of transport in the Jungfrau Region. If you have a Hiking and Sledging Pass, you can have unlimited rides for free on those shown with a solid line (with a couple of exceptions for late afternoon/evening). On those shown with a dotted line, you get a 50% discount, i.e. between Eigergletscher and Jungfraujoch, between Mürren and Schilthorn.

Before going up to a mountain top, find out what time the last service down leaves!

I hope you find this useful.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Travel with 4 year old and 1 year old Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.