Travel in Switzerland; which rail pass do I need?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2016 at 15:12:01 #808562

Hi All,

I’ll be coming to Zurich to France on 7th June 2016. i Have accommodation booked in Interlaken from 7th to 10th and Zurich from 10th to 12th.

I’m not able to finalize what all to do in Interlaken and Zurich and therefore whether to buy a swiss pass and if yes then which one to buy? Reading various forums it seems like Saver card or Half fare card might be helpful.

Can anybody please help me ?

Regards,

Jatin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 March 2016 at 18:25:03 #849146

Thanks for your post Jatin! Welcome!

As you say you first need to know what you will be doing while there. Please see:

Then you pick a pass as explained here: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

You’ve probably been reading old information. There is no Saver card and no Swiss Pass any more. The Swiss Pass was replaced by the Swiss Travel Pass. Please see here for all current options: myswissalps.com/ train/ticketspasses.

Feel free to let us know if you need more help after going through the above.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2016 at 22:08:18 #849147

Thanks for the info Arno!

So, I am thinking of going one day to Jungfraucoch, a boat trip tp Brienz, Steam train to the Brienzer Rothorn. I am in Interlaken for 2 full days(8th and 9th June). don’t wanna pack everything and yet don’t want to miss out on Must Do’s if possible

The tickets that i need to book are

1. Zurich to Interlaken on 7th June and return on 10th June.

2. Interlaken to Jungfraucoch and back

3. Internal travelling in Interlaken

4. Internal travelling in Zurich on 10th, 11th and 12th before i leave for Paris on 12th

• I want to know which Travel pass would you guys suggest. There are two of us( me and my wife) who’ll be going all the places together .I believe there is some card which can give 15% discount for that?
    • which pass i buy based on your inputs do i need to reserve some of these tickets right now or i can just hop in when i’m there?

Thanks a ton guys!

Jatin Baveja

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 March 2016 at 6:37:23 #849148

Hi Jatin,

The saver option with the 15% discount does no longer exist. Actually the regular prices are now at that saver level, so it’s no loss.

You can look into these 3 options:

1. Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland + tickets from Zurich to where the pass begins (Bern/Lucerne) + a ZurichCARD or local day tickets while in Zurich.
    2. Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days + a ZurichCARD or local day tickets while in Zurich. Depending on what you will do in Zurich you can opt for just an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass too.
    3. Swiss Half Fare Card for your entire stay, to buy discounted tickets for all trips.

Which option is best depends on whether you prefer convenience (if so, do not pick option 3) or the cheapest option (find that out here).

It’s convenient to buy the pass in advance (purchase links are on the pages I linked to), but further tickets do not need to be booked in advance.

• The thread ‘Travel in Switzerland; which rail pass do I need?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.