Traveling with kids (4 & 6 yrs). What”s for them?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2016 at 20:08:34 #809091

Hi. I am travelling with my wife and two young kids to interlaken, lucerne and zurich from 21-27 june.

We will cover jungfrau, Titlis, Rhine falls, visit Bern, Thun lake and much more.

Do we have something special for kids somewhere in these places or nearby.

We are pure vegetarian Indian. So are veg food options available easily?

Kindly suggest us good accommodation options also near stations (Kids get tired soon).

Budget: 150 chf approx

Thanks

Vipin Mittal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 May 2016 at 0:22:02 #851545

Hi Vipin-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps and the forum.

I have some partial answers to get you started.

First of all, without seeing your specific itinerary, it is difficult to answer your questions. And, it seems from casual observation that you may be trying to fit quite a lot into the days that you are there.

That lodging budget is difficult to meet in big cities or main tourist sites. At least, you will be there before the heavy tourist season begins. Sometimes it is best to stay just a bit outside the main cities, on a train line or in a place with frequent bus service. This thread describes one:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/2-night-stay-at-luzern-vs-meggen

This may help, as it list some budget hotels.

http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa vemoney

It is hard to judge what will interest children of ages 4 and 6. My most recent experience was with an 8 year old granddaughter. Shew was fascinated by the Lion in Luzern, and also the Bourbaki Panorama nearby.

There are childrens’ playgrounds in many towns and cities in Switzerland. There is an especially nice one near the Transport Museum ( das Verkehrshaus) in Luzern, near the lake shore , accessible by bus and, more fun, lake boat. Or, you can walk along the pleasant lake shore to reach it.

map.search.ch/?x=6190m&y=21415m&z=204 8.

If the link does not give you the aerial image, switch to it.

In the main stations in Bern, Luzern, Zürich, and others, there is a very useful tourist information office. I have used the one in Luzern many many times. I am s ure that they would have ideas for children’s activities.

Would they like to experience snow?

Vegeterian food is widely available in Switzerland. Many restaurants have “Veggie Special” or “Veggie Hit”

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/culture history/food

One of the oldest vegetarian restaurants in Switzerland and in Europe is “Hiltl” in Zürich.

http://www.hiltl.ch/en/

<<“The restaurant holds the Guinness world records for being the oldest continuously open vegetarian restaurant in the World.”>> Could be.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Hiltl_Restaurant

In larger cities, the Coop, Migros and other stores have buffets which include vegetarian items.

<<“Kindly suggest us good accommodation options also near stations (Kids get tired soon).”>>

If you choose a Swiss Travel Pass for discounted travel, city buses and trams will be free. The tram and bus service is frequent in major cites..every 8 minutes for trams during the day. So, you may not need to stay close to a main station. There is some form of free or cheap fare for children. Arno and Annika are the experts on travel passes. Perhaps they can jump in.

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2016 at 13:32:30 #851546

Thanks Slowpoke for such valuable feedback.

I have created an itenary after going through this wonderful website.

Day 1: From Paris-Basel-Interlaken. Enjoy the activities there.

Day 2: Interlaken – jungfraujoch (Top of the Europe)- interlaken

Day 3: Interlaken – Zermatt (day trip) – Interlaken

Day 4: Interlaken – Lucerne ( enjoy city, lakes etc.) Stay at Lucerne.

Day 5: Lucerne – Mt. Titlis – Lucerne

Day 6: Lucerne – Zurich (stay) – enjoy rhine falls- Zurich

Day 7: Leave Hotel – enjoy city – airport zurich

This way I am able to cover jungfraujoch, titlis and Rhine falls along with interlaken, zermatt, lucerne, zurich city trips.

Do you suggest me to make any changes or is it ok to go with this type of itenary?

Regards

Vipin Mittal

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 May 2016 at 16:01:39 #851547

Hi Vipal.

That itinerary will work. You are doing a lot of traveling, but it is all workable.

Keep an eye on the weather around the Jungfrau ad be flexible about which day to go up. Your hotel or the train stations and tourist offices in the area will have deatiled information. Everyone neeeds that information. If you go up into the clouds, you won’t have much of a view.

Zürich is the least “touristic” town on your list.

There is a nice, small zoo at the end of the Nr. 6 tram line. If you go there, and after you get off the tram and before you reach the zoo….look to your left as you walk toward the zoo. The cemetery is beautiful with flowers and shrubs, and worth a short detour. There is a gate that you can enter through.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2016 at 6:33:13 #851548

Thanks Slowpoke.

In fact, Zoo will be entertaining for kids too.

So I am sticking to this itenary and booking my hotels accordingly.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2016 at 15:59:07 #851549

>> Zoo will be entertaining for kids too.

Hi Vipin

If you decide to take your kids to the zoo, there is an interesting way of returning to central Zürich that they might enjoy.

It is called “Seilbahn Rigiblick” and is an automatic single-cabin funicular (no driver) that travels between the top of the Zürichberg (hill overlooking Zürich) and a small plaza at the bottom. From there you can catch a tram back to Zürich Hauptbahnhof (main station).

Here are directions to follow this route to return from the Zoo:

:: At the Zoo bus stop, catch the #39 bus (travelling in the direction “Letzistrasse”). Alight at the stop called “Rigiblick”. From the Zoo to Rigiblick will take 5 minutes (5 stops). This bus runs 7 days a week every 30 minutes (at 9 minutes and 40 minutes past the hour) from early till late.

:: Catch the Seilbahn Rigiblick (funicular) all the way down to the last stop. The funicular leaves every 10 minutes from the top station, travels 4 stops, and takes about 7 minutes. Standard Zürich public transport fares/tickets apply, and it is in the central fare zone (zone 110).

Before you catch the funicular, you can enjoy panoramic views over Zürich, the Zürichsee (lake Zürich) and the mountains in the distance from a little park (with seating) adjacent to the funicular.

:: From the bottom station of the funicular, walk straight ahead through the small square to the tram stop, from where you can catch the #10 tram (direction “Zürich, Bahnhofplatz”) back to Zürich Hauptbahnhof. This trip will take 9 minutes (6 stops).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2016 at 8:31:57 #851550

Thanks Alpenrose for this great suggestion for the kids. I will include this in my itenary while in Zurich.

To all,

What is there to do in Grindelwald First exactly. Can it be done with Jungfrau top of Europe. And is their any combined ticket for both? Kindly suggest ( keeping in mind – 2 kids).

Vipin Mittal

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 June 2016 at 10:56:12 #851551

Hi Vipin,

You can visit Jungfraujoch and First in one day, but you can also spend the entire day going to Jungfraujoch: spend some time at Kleine Scheidegg enjoying the view, play in the snow at Jungfraujoch, visit the ice palace, etc. Please see myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch. There are no combined tickets that I know of as these are separate attractions and not in one location.

First is a place to start or end a hike. There’s a restaurant and a playground. And there’s a zip line (First Flyer), but not for young children. Minimum weight is 35 kg.

• The thread ‘Traveling with kids (4 & 6 yrs). What”s for them?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.