Travelling around Switzerland in November by car

• JYrafael
    Participant
    4 posts
    19 September 2022 at 18:44:09 #828380

Greetings to all,

I’m travelling to Switzerland this November during mid month (end of 2nd week to 2nd last week of Nov) and planning to rent a car to drive around.

Will like to seek advise and insights from people who are familiar to Switzerland on,

1. What I will need to be aware of, and in preparation (e.g. other than winter tyres) to rent a car during this period.

2. What is the weather generally like if I am to drive during this period? I understand that it is still in Fall, but googled around only to realise that there might be snow in some areas.

3. Is it common for people to travel by car around Switzerland in November? this will be my first time to Switzerland.

3. Is my itinerary feasible for driving? Below is a summary.

Day 1: depart from Zurich to Lucerne.

Day 2 & 3: Brünig

Enroute Engelberg (cable car).

Enroute Aletsch Glacier via Fiesch (Gondola) [if time permits] & Enroute Interlaken, Grindelwald, Jungfraujoah (switch to Train)

Day 4 & 5: Berne (Enroute to Blausee possible?)

Day 6 & 7: Zermatt (I’m aware we are not allowed to drive into Zermatt. Any advise or suggestion where to park the car?)

Day 8: Lugano

Day 9 & 10: Varenna, Italy (Which are the ferry point options to drive and cross to Varenna?)

Day 11: Liechtenstein

Day 12: back to Zurich

I feel it will be a valuable/interesting experience to drive in a different country and climate, and would like to do so if conditions permit. However, I do also want to ensure it is generally safe first and foremost and having some precautionary measures.

Really appreciate if fellow members could advise on my concerns and or any suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    19 September 2022 at 19:15:41 #947079

Hi JYrafael,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

It’s generally safe to drive on Swiss roads in autumn and winter time. It’s not unusual to find snow in November. If you are not familiar driving in winter or the mountains, the following links provide some useful information for your trip and answers to some of your questions:

That’s right, you won’t be able to drive all the way to Zermatt. The furthest you can drive to is Täsch, where you’ll have to park your car. There is a big parking garage next to the train station. You can find further details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/travel

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Eurogal
    Participant
    3 posts
    20 September 2022 at 19:18:24 #947080

Are you adamant about driving? Most/all the places you mentioned are easily accessible by train. The Swiss Train system is remarkable, easy, and probably more affordable than renting a car (nowadays). Comfortable too. Just a thought.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2022 at 7:30:36 #947081

Hi JYrafael,

in my opinion, driving in the mountains during winter time can be tricky. If you are not used to drivng in the mountains, I do not recommend it. As Eurogal wrote, the Swiss rail system is great.

Please, have a look at this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/carversustrain.

At http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/compare-train-and-car-costs-of-a-switzerland-trip you find a spreadsheet, please feel free to use that to compare your travel costs.

Regards,

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading this: Car rental in Switzerland

JYrafael
    Participant
    4 posts
    26 September 2022 at 1:20:54 #947082

Hi Anna,

Thank you for your input.

Is there any car transport like the Autobahn you would know that I can take to ferry over to Italy? Or across Switzerland if the mountain passes (if any) are closed base on my itinerary?

Rafael

JYrafael
    Participant
    4 posts
    26 September 2022 at 1:24:44 #947083

Hello Eurogal,

Pleasure to speak to you. I’m not particularly adamant, but thought driving itself will be an experience as well as I do enjoy driving.

Based on my itinerary, would there be tricky path that I may encounter?

Rafael

JYrafael
    Participant
    4 posts
    26 September 2022 at 1:31:05 #947084

Hi Ilidiko,

Appreciate your input.

As mentioned to Eurogal, I think I will be an interesting experience if I am to drive across Switzerland.

on my itinerary, would you be able to advise if I wil be driving on mountain passes alot? Or which are the path that I may be coming across tricky mountain pass as mentioned by you. I’m going in November, understand that it’s not winter yet, will it still be as tricky?

Rafael

Anna
    6382 posts
    26 September 2022 at 4:31:08 #947085

Hi Rafael,

Driving in Switzerland is fairly fast and safer if you stick to the motorways and tunnels. But the views are less interesting than if you were to follow the mountain passes. In November however most of the mountain passes are closed due to safety reason. So you’ll have to take a car train in some cases (http://www.myswissalps.com/car/cartrains) to reach your destination for instance to Zermatt and to Fiesch, depending on which route you take.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Travelling around Switzerland in November by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.