Travelling from Paris to Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 15:10:07 #814259

Hi, I am bring my parents (70 years old) to visit Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe). We are entering from Paris on 4 March 2018, they are exiting Switzerland from Zurich to go back Singapore on 9 March 2018.

Any advice how we can travel in the most budget way from Paris to Jungfraujoch and then to Zurich? Should we travel from Paris to Geneva or Bern? Should we get rail passes? Thank you so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 17:26:35 #875704

Hi Mikamikomilo, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

It depends on what your are looking for. If you’re planning to only stay in the Jungfrau Region, I would travel via BaselBernInterlaken. That is the fastest way and probably the cheapest. The Swiss timetable will tell you.

If you’re interested to explore more, you could travel via Geneva to Montreux. From there you can take the Golden Pass to Interlaken (Jungfraujoch) and before going to Zurich you could consider visiting Lucerne as well.

You will definitely need a rail pass. Use our web page on how to choose the best rail pass to help you find out which rail pass is the best for your trip. You will need to check the prices of all your planned train, bus, gondola, boat tickets (you plan to take) and do the math to compare prices.

Be sure to also check:

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 February 2018 at 19:18:35 #875705

Hello Chantal,

You have stated to Mikamokomilo <<You will definitely need a rail pass.>> and this brings to mind a question I often have. How does one know whether it is more economical to simply pay for one’s travel as one goes or to buy a rail pass ? Also, perhaps not in this case, but in general, should the cost of a car rental not also be evaluated and compared ? I notice that Mikamokomilo will be in a party of at least three, and in these cases a car rental can be more attractive, as one rents one car but buys three or more passes. If money is no object, that is one thing, but the cost of renting one car versus buying multiple rail passes is worth considering. I am not suggesting that Mikamokomilo has even the slightest thought of renting a car, and so I am just asking in general terms for any traveler or group of travelers. I only thought of asking the question today because of your statement <<You will definitely need a rail pass.>> which was preceded by questions about what they were looking for. Thanks !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 22:04:37 #875706

Thank you, Chantal and Peterli.

Do you have advice if I only want one or two places as home base? My parents do not like to change hotel too frequent, so it would be best that we stay in the same hotel through the whole trip. Where would be the best location if I were to pick Geneva route (also considering the rail pass/budget for transport)?

My primary objective is to go up to Jungfraujoch, the other places are secondary. We will be travelling in a group of 4. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2018 at 7:02:00 #875707

Hi Peterli,

‘Definitely’ was maybe a bit of a bold statement. In Mikamokomilo’s case I tried to get a rough idea of his trip: Basel – Interlaken (CHF 60,-) or Geneva – Interlaken (CHF 75,-), Jungfraujoch (discounted with a rail pass), Interlaken – Zurich Airport (CHF 75,-) and perhaps a boat trip Interlaken – Thun – Interlaken (CHF 70,-). The Swiss Travel Pass for 3 days is CHF 223,- which is an average of CHF 74,- a day.

Based on that, I believe it’s worth exploring one of the passes. You will of course always have to do the math to see which one is the cheapest option.

I personally never recommend the car as per the information on this page, however, it’s a fair point to evaluate the cost of renting a car should someone considering that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2018 at 9:22:20 #875708

Hi Mikamikomilo,

If your primary objective is to visit Jungfraujoch and you prefer not to have (many) hotel changes I would suggest to stay in Wengen. Grindelwald could be another option.

There’s a train leaving from Paris (Gare de Lyon) at 07:57 which brings you in Montreux at 12:11. The Golden Pass leaves Montreux at 13:44 and gets you to Wengen at 17:49. If this is too much traveling you could spend a night in Montreux.

When playing with the Swiss time table to plan your trip, make sure to put Zweisimmen in the via box when traveling from Montreux to Wengen or Grindelwald. This will give you the Golden Pass route.

Web pages you may want to check as well:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 16:07:21 #875709

Hi Chantal,

Thank you so much for your kind advice, i just have a few more doubts to clarify regarding the Eurail select pass, 2 countries (France & Switzerland), 4 days (cost CHF241).

I can pick any 4 days (within 2 months valid) to utilize this pass? The 4 days do not have to be 4 consecutive days?

If above is correct, I think it is worthwhile to buy the Eurail select pass because:

Paris – Montreux: Euro 85

Montreux – Interlaken: Euro 58

Interlaken – Zurich (since we are leaving from Zurich airport): Euro 90

= Euro 233 = approximately CHF268

Another question, do you recommend us to stay in Interlaken or Wengen?

Thank you so much!

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 February 2018 at 17:03:41 #875710

Hi Mikamikomilo,

Yes, you can pick any 4 days within a 2 month period. You’ll find all details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass. To find the best pass for your plans, I recommend to include all your tips in your calculations: not just the town to town transfers, but also day trips by train/cableway/boat and museum visits. Chantal referred to our “how to choose the best rail pass” page, where it is explained.

Whether to stay in Interlaken or Wengen depends on your preferences. Interlaken is a central town in the valley, and it’s easy to do day trips to a large area from there. Wengen is a car free village in the mountains, much more charming, but it takes more time to get there so it makes sense to do trips in the Jungfrau region only. Please see the below pages for more information like things to do and recommended hotels:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 17:04:57 #875711

Regarding the free boat rides that comes with the pass, do I have to take the boat ride on the day i utilize the pass or can be any of the days (even though it is not the 4 days)?

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 February 2018 at 17:06:25 #875712

The free boat trips only apply on one of the 4 days, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass/validit y.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 17:10:20 #875713

Thank u, Arno! I don’t see it written anywhere so I needed to clarify 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 February 2018 at 17:18:17 #875714

You’re welcome! Sorry, indeed we don’t mention that for each trip separately. The page says “You can travel on the free routes on your selected travel days only”. Then, on the map and further down the page, you can see that these boats are free. I’d recommend to download the map of this pass and any other pass you might be considering. That way you have all the details at hand.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 19:17:51 #875715

Hi Arno, Thank you. one more question, where can i check which are the trains that I need to make reservations when using the Eurail select pass?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 February 2018 at 20:17:42 #875716

Within Switzerland reservations are not generally required or used. I don’t see anything on your itinerary that would require you to make a reservation on a Swiss train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 22:57:48 #875717

Thanks rockoyster. Im travelling from Paris to montreux, do I need reservations for that?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 February 2018 at 1:23:09 #875718

From Paris to Geneva or Lausanne you will need a reservation but not from your arrival point in Switzerland to Montreux.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 23:45:25 #875719

Hi, thank you so much, how can i make the reservation for the train from Paris to Swiss?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 February 2018 at 0:54:44 #875720

You should find out all you need to know here http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france.

You can book using the SBB Timetable mentioned earlier in this thread by Chantal.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 13:41:48 #875721

Hi Rockoyster,

Im sorry Im still confused about the seat reservation on french train after reading so much. I went onto the timetable and to trainline.eu, it goes to a payment page where there is a drop down list of discount & loyalty cards, what should I choose to utilize the EUrail select pass? Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 16:32:01 #875722

Hi Mikamikomilo,

Have you tried this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations/price. When you go to the website of ACP Rail you’ll have to fill in your travel date and on the next screen you’ll have the option to select ‘reservations only’. Good luck.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 February 2018 at 11:06:06 #875723

Hi Mikamikomilo,

In your case you can also try the Singaporean website at http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ book-now/article/passholder s-seat-reservation-guide. You can select the Eurail Select Pass there.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Travelling from Paris to Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.