Trip to Switzerland from India in mid May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2019 at 12:23:53 #821826

Ours was a 8 day trip to Switzerland starting May 13th. It was perfectly smooth and hassle free, thanks to this forum for all the valuable suggestions and SBB mobile app which guided us throughout the journey.

Flight – Oman Air , reached Zurich around 8 PM (First day).

Prepaid card – We took Sunrise, SALT was having some technical issues and Swisscom was sold out. Nevertheless Sunrise connectivity was pretty good. It was 20 CHF with unlimited data usage

Swiss Travel Pass -Took 8 day travel pass from Euro Rail. Got some 4K discount.

Locations – Started with Zurich, 3 nights at Luzern, 3 nights at Interlaken and again 1 day at Zurich.

First day just checked in to hotel and slept off.

Zurich – Second day we covered Rhine falls and Schaffhausen. We climbed till top of Munot Fortress. Travelled to Luzerne on same day. Covered Luzern city in the evening

Luzern – Third day we went to Mt Rigi . Took this route – – > Luzerne->Vitznau (Boat) ->Rigi Kulm (Red Train)-> Arth-Goldau(Blue Train) ->Luzerne . Rigi was snow covered. But both the train journeys were scenic. Afternoon went to Mount Pilatus. Alpnachstad cogwheel was not operational due to snow. So went and came back via Kriens. Pilatus was also snow covered .

Fourth day we went to Mount Titlis. It was a sunny day and view was beautiful. Afternoon went for Swiss chocolate adventure, at Swiss Transport museum and Glacier garden near Lion Monument.

Interlaken- Fifth Day , we travelled to Interlaken. After checking in went to Harder Kulm. After noon went to St Beatus cave. It was long walk of 1 km (one way) inside the cave.

Sixth Day – Just roamed around Thun and Bern

Seventh Day – We decided not to go to Jungfrau as day was very cloudy. Instead went to a glacier cave in Grindelwald and afternoon at Lauterbrunnen seeing all waterfalls.

Zurich – Flight was at night 10, so initial plan was to explore Zurich. But it was raining heavily so just hopped in and hopped off different trams and shopping malls in Zurich.

Missed Jungfrau due to weather and also my son got terrible cold. Also in Bern there was lot more to cover, but we had a quick trip in Bern. In Zurich we couldn’t visit museums as it was Monday and museums were closed. Otherwise trip was truly memorable , Swiss Trains/Buses /Trams were amazing .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 May 2019 at 15:43:56 #913252

Thanks for sharing your trip memories Smitha vj! Good to read that you were able to plan flexible based on the weather. That’s how you make the most out of it.

I hope your son is feeling better now. Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2019 at 7:28:30 #913253

Hi Smitha, read your trip report and got tips to follow for my upcoming trip to Switzerland in first week of June.can you please tell me from where to buy Sim card i mean Zurich airport shops ? Also is Sunrise sim is good and its advantages over Salt sim? Will it cover other European countries as well? I am from India .Waiting for your reply thanks in anticipation

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 May 2019 at 16:52:23 #913254

Hello Singhmonika1,

Apart from information that Smitha may provide, you’ll find our SIM card recommendations here: http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2019 at 12:26:46 #913255

Hi, It looks to be a good visit. I am planning vacation in similar way in Sept.

Can please share

Flight details, Flight cost

Hotels / apartment stays – names with cost

whether you had taken Swiss Pass ?

What was your overall trip cost

Is it OK if we take a trip of 3 family members – travelling Ist time on our own

• The thread ‘Trip to Switzerland from India in mid May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.