4 night trip to Switzerland in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 13:18:07 #814258

helo,

I had last posted in dec 2017 i but due to certain situations was n0t regular with the posts-so starting up fresh thread.We are a family of 6 adults- with 4 people in the age group of 45-48years and 2 in the age group of 18 and 19 years-planning a 4nights stay in swiss-flying from India to Zurich and straight to Bern and settling up for 4nights there and making it as our base we plan to visit lucerne,interlaken,Bern and surrounding places that can be covered-our tentative dates are 12th june to 15th june-on 16th we take a tgv form zurich to paris

My queries are-

1.For this long stay and for these areas which rail pass would be prefferred

2.Wish to do one panoramic train-so probably we can do that from interlaken to lucerne or vice versa-and seems its a golden pass line-is this route a part of golden pass line panoramic train-is it covered in the swiss travell pass and is reservation needed in this.

3.Wish to do lake boat cruise-so which lake do you suggest though am sure all the lakes are beautiful but can do only one so your suggestion would be much appreciated

4.If we plan to extend one more day thn which pass can be used for one day only

5.Is the route same for coming back from jungfrau and mount tiltis-like we come back using the same way we went there or is it different

6.What more suggestions can you give us for our itineary that i have mentioned.

Thank you

sonia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 18:39:51 #875691

Hi Sonia,

Has it been decided that Bern will be your base? You’re wasting time traveling back and forth. If you would consider two nights in Lucerne as well you could get more out of your stay.

1. We have a page on our website on how to choose the best rail pass that has a spreadsheet to help you. You will need to check the prices of all your planned train, bus, gondola, boat tickets (you plan to take) and do the math to compare prices.
    2. Yes, you could take the Golden Pass from Interlaken to Lucerne. It is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass and reservations are not needed.
    3. If you combine it with your trip to the Jungfraujoch you could take a boat trip on Lake Thun. If you consider staying in Lucerne you could do one on Lake Lucerne. They are both nice and you’ll have to see how it fits best into your itinerary.
    4. Depends on what activity you have in mind. My suggestion is to play with the spreadsheet as per point 1.
    5. From Interlaken to Bern will be the same. Please be advised that you can’t visit Jungfraujoch and Mt. Titlis on one day. Mt. Titlis is much closer from Lucerne.
    6. The activities you are planning to do are fine. However, I wouldn’t use Bern as your base for your full stay. If you really want one base for your stay, I would look at a village closer to Interlaken. Have a look at Wengen or Grindelwald for example.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2018 at 13:58:02 #875692

helo,

Thank you chantal-Nopes we have not yet decided for making Bern as our base as am still working on the itinerary which i will be able to finalize once all me queries are done-we just happened to meet 3 Swiss couples on different occasions here in India-one lives in Zurich and one lives in lucerne-so they advised us to put up in Bern probably due to commuting is more easier than villages-

My main aim is to do any 1lake boat cruise,visit any mountain-be titlis or jungfrauh,an experience of cogwheel or funicular and any swiss panoramic rail and just enjoy our stay walking around strolling around,enjoying swiss rails

so moving on to my queries:

1.besides grindelwad and wengen,which other villages do u suggest

2.is it easier to commute to different places from the villages

3.lucern to interalken-is it the golden pass panoramic train or some other train and is it called the lucern interlaken express.

4.day 2 we plan to visit lucerne-if i dnt opt for visiting mt,titlis-thn what else can be done in lucerne besides the city sightseeing

5.day 3 we plan to visit interlaken-if i dont opt for visiting jungfrauh,then what else can be done in interlaken

( we wil do only one mountain between titlis and jungfrauh)

6.day 4 we plan to vist bern,basel,zurich-any other suggestion of place.

7.Any other option of using any other swiss panoramic train journey as per my itineary n places that i have mentioned

8.if gng to jungfrauh-to avail the 25% discount from the rail pass-do we have to start from wengen only

Thanks for all the help

sonia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2018 at 17:39:17 #875693

Hi Sonia,

1. You could look at Murren and Lauterbrunnen as well.
    2. I wouldn’t say it’s easier, but it’s also not more difficult. Public transport in general is very well organized in Switzerland. It doesn’t really matter where you stay. Have a look at the map and you would see where these villages are in relation to your activities. Also, I think it’s a nicer experience to stay at a typical Swiss village rather than in a city. The Swiss timetable will help you to find out how long it takes to travel from A to B.
    3. The term ‘Golden Pass Panoramic’ is a marketing name for some trains that are painted differently to the normal trains and have one panoramic first class coach. You can take basically any train that suits your schedule. They leave every hour.
    4. Please have a look at activities in Lucerne.
    5. Please have a look at activities in Interlaken.
    6. You only have 4 nights. I think visiting these cities and mountains would be a stretch. I would even recommend not to go to Basel.
    7. The scenic train trips are listed here, but I don’t see where another one could fit into your itinerary. Instead of the Golden Pass from Interlaken to Lucerne you could look at the Golden Pass from Interlaken to Montreux and back. That would be a full day, but since your traveling in June it will be longer light in the evenings. If you look for this trip in the timetable, make sure to put Zweisimmen in the ‘via’ box.
    8. Here you can read how to get to Jungfraujoch.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 8:56:21 #875694

Helo

Thanks..some more clearifications

1.so out of murren,wengen,grindelwald and lauterbrunnen…Which place would be the best option (dont prefer car free place though)

2.How do we commute from these villages..

3.How about a visit to Stanserson in that open cable car

4.Any where that i can experience a cogwheel or funicular

Thanks

Sonia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 10:05:02 #875695

Hi ssonia,

1. It is really about personal preference in the end. I think Wengen is the most popular choice around here. 🙂
    2. Trains or cable cars typically – you can find details on the Swiss railways timetable.
    3. Stanserhorn is nice – a unique experience – you can read about my day trip there (and see photos) from last May here.
    4. There are many in Switzerland. The Jungfraujoch trip is a cogwheel train for example as one route up Mt. Pilatus & Mt. Rigi. Most trains up into the mountains are cogwheel. The trip to Stanserhorn starts on a funicular before the open-top cable car ride. The world’s steepest funicular is in Stoos (if you have time to get there) – here is my trip report on that.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 11:57:02 #875696

Hi

Thanks

so we have booked our flights and we land in zurich at 9 in the morn-we wud be putting up in an appartment in any of the places you have mentioned but they wont be available to us before 3-So what is possible for 2-3hrs in zurich before we board our train to our base.

2.Are there any specified areas to stay in the village may be near a train station or so.

Thank you

sonia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 15:46:17 #875697

Hi Sonia,

Probably the most popular activity in Zurich (other than shopping and exploring the old town) would be a lake cruise. For other ideas visit our Zurich activity page here.

Anything in particular you’d like to do in Zurich?

I’m not sure what you are looking for in question #2…areas to stay in what village near a train station? Places to visit in Wengen before checking in to an apartment or hotel?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 1:58:08 #875698

>> so we have booked our flights and we land in zurich at 9 in the morn-we wud be putting up in an appartment in any of the places you have mentioned but they wont be available to us before 3-So what is possible for 2-3hrs in zurich before we board our train to our base.

If it were me, I would head straight to the town or village in which you plan to stay the night, and drop off your luggage at the hotel. You can then spend time exploring the local area and return to the hotel for check-in at your convenience later in the day.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 6:04:25 #875699

Helo and Thank you 🙂

I wanted to know that if I put up in any of the villages that you have mementioned then does that village has any particular area where to stay any district as when I llook for apartments in airbnb they show addressees so get confused

2.Which of thesw villages have train linea for easy commuting

3.Any other towns besides these villages to make as base

4. lucern to interlaken and vice versa is the Lucerne interlaken express and it does not needs reservations.. am i right. ??

thanks

sonia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 6:51:03 #875700

Hi Sonia,

>> when I llook for apartments in airbnb they show addressees so get confused

Look up the address in Google Maps, then look for nearby transport. Railway stations and bus stops (as well as cable car stations etc) are shown in Google Maps if you zoom in close enough.

If you hover over the icon for a bus stop, it will tell you the official name of the bus stop and the route number/s of the buses that stop there. Use that information in the Swiss Timetable (to which you have already been given the link) to find out about when the bus runs.

If you will need to rely on a bus, find out what time the first and last bus of the day runs, how frequently it runs during the day, and what the service is like on weekends. Do all that before booking your accommodation.

>> 2.Which of thesw villages have train linea for easy commuting

Which villages are you referring to? Those in the Jungfrau Region?

Grindelwald is reached by train, and has a town bus service. The town bus service only runs until early evening, so staying within easy walking distance of the railway station is a good idea.

Wengen is reached by train and is car free. Most hotels will pick up guests and their luggage from the station on the day of arrival, and drop them off again on the day of departure. Check before booking, or make sure to book a hotel within easy walking distance of the station.

Mürren is reached by first getting a train to Lauterbrunnen. Then, for the rest of the journey, you have two options:

• Cable car up to Grütschalp (on the cliff above Lauterbrunnen), then train along the top to Mürren
    • Bus along the floor of the Lauterbrunnen Valley to Stechelberg, then cable car from there up to Mürren.

With luggage, I would prefer the first option.

Lauterbrunnen is reached by train, and has a good village bus service, running half-hourly from early morning until late at night. Look for accommodation within easy walking distance of the railway station or a bus stop.

>> 4. lucern to interlaken and vice versa is the Lucerne interlaken express and it does not needs reservations.. am i right. ??

Yes.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 12:52:12 #875701

Thank you so much-

are their any other towns where a base can be set up besides the villages of the jungfrauh region

We have day 4 free as day 2 a we will spend going around lucerne with stans and boat cruise and lucern sight seeing and and day 3 jungfrauh along with interlaken-so any suggestions for day 4

Thanks

sonia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 8:36:15 #875702

Hi Sonia,

You are looking for somewhere to stay around Interlaken that isn’t a Jungfrau region village? I would look then at Interlaken itself or Thun or Brienz.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 7:11:55 #875703

hello

Thanks

I have finally booked my apartment in Wengen close to the train station-Thank you for all the help-will be needing certain more help when I would start working on my day to day itinerary-My travel is in the june-so before that I would get back for more help-Thank you once again for all the help and support-a wonderful forum that has really helped me and others as well.

Thanks

sonia

• The thread ‘4 night trip to Switzerland in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.