My understanding on Swiss cross border tickets

My understanding on Swiss cross border tickets

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
ETRAVEL
ETRAVEL
22 posts
May 23, 2018 - 9:47 AM

Hi,

Would like some help to validate my understanding on cross border train ticket purchase when I am holding a Swiss Travel Pass.

Planned to travel on 04Aug18 from Venice to Zurich, and I found the following train schedule :

12:20 Venice to Milan (Train FR9730)

40 minutes connection time in Milan

15:25 Milan to Zurich (Train EC20)

So my questions as follow:

1. Since I got the Swiss Rail pass, I understand I only need to purchase ticket up to Chiasso, am I correct ?

2. The 15:25 train departing Milan to Zurich has got Chiasso as a stop, I am assuming I can continue with the same train without getting off. Milan to Chiasso covered by my purchased ticket in Italy, and Chiasso to Zurich will cover by my Swiss Rail Pass. Is my assumption correct ?

3. Do I need to validate my Swiss Rail Pass in order to use it for Chiasso to Zurich train ?

4. I found some other train schedule with only 10 minutes connection time in Milan, i.e. saving of 30 minutes for the whole journey. Am I able to make the connection in 10 minutes in Milan ? Just not sure how reliable train timewise in Italy.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Leeanndep
Leeanndep
3 posts
May 23, 2018 - 2:32 PM in reply to ETRAVEL

I am also interested in this question although we are coming from Paris into Switzerland.

Lucas
Lucas
8004 posts
expert &
May 23, 2018 - 2:42 PM in reply to ETRAVEL

HI Etravel and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Correct
  2. Correct - no need to get off the train if you already have your ticket (shown when asked up to Chiasso and thereafter you show the Swiss Travel Pass when asked)
  3. No. You pick the start date at time of purchase (https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price) and then you are good to go once you've printed it at home. Read about how to use the Swiss Travel Pass here.
  4. Maybe. :) On Italian trains....I might buy the ticket with the 30 minute connection.
Last modified on May 23, 2018 - 2:43 PM by Lucas
Leeanndep
Leeanndep
3 posts
May 23, 2018 - 3:08 PM in reply to Lucas

Lucas - how about if I travel with a half fare pass? Travel from Paris to Engelberg with 3 children.

Last modified on May 23, 2018 - 3:09 PM by Leeanndep
Lucas
Lucas
8004 posts
expert &
May 23, 2018 - 6:53 PM in reply to Leeanndep

Hi Leeanndep,

A little trickier as you need 2 tickets (one for Paris to Basel & another for Basel to Titlis with the Swiss Half Fare Card).

Try these links:

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018