Weather and clothing for Aug trip Switzerland

• ying8484
    Participant
    14 posts
    23 July 2022 at 4:38:49 #827863

Hi all,

I am travelling to Switzerland for 3 weeks in Aug, and will be staying in Luzern, Grindelwald, Murren, Zermatt and Zurich for this trip. I know the weather fluctuates between towns. Can I check typically what would people wear for a sunny day hike (is tees and shorts up at Mannlichen or Schynige Platte sufficient?) and what layers do you need for a trip up to Jungfraujoch or Titlis or Matterhorn Glacier Paradise?

For night time, would you all recommend a base layer + pjs?

And for city area, are top + jeans sufficient? Or will still need an outer jacket?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    23 July 2022 at 8:36:24 #944709

Hi ying8484,

In summer, it’s common to wear T-shirts, shorts and flip flops. If you’re hiking on the mountains, T-shirts and shorts are sufficient but be sure to wear proper shoes and also bring a windproof or a light jacket as it does get windy up in the mountain sometimes. For trips to higher elevation such as Jungfraujoch and Titlis, I suggest wearing layers and maybe a thicker jacket if you’re not used to low temperatures.

You can find more information about what to pack for a hiking trip in the mountains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/preparation

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 July 2022 at 10:10:03 #944710

Hi ying8484!

Anna’s packing tips are very good. Dressing in layers is best in Switzerland, especially when hiking and visiting mountains tops.

You’ll find typical Swiss weather patterns and forecast interpretation tips here:

ying8484
    Participant
    14 posts
    29 July 2022 at 13:58:52 #944711

Thank you both!

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    30 July 2022 at 11:16:08 #944712

Hi ying8484,

I spent two weeks in Sept of 2018. In that time I wore a pair of short pants, a tee shirt, and an occasional sweat shirt the whole entire time. I had a pair of sweat pants, gloves, a light wind-breaker type jacket, sweatshirt, and a ski hat in my ‘go-every-where-bag’ (nap-sack) throughout my whole trip.

The only time I wore long pants was when I went up to Mt Titlis. I thought being (inside the glacier) around/in and outside would warrant longer pants. As it turned out, I didn’t need long pants at all. (In fact, I changed back into my shorts on the way back down to Engelberg on one of the gondolas).

It’s always good to pack layers in a bag/nap-sack in case of needing them. As it turned out, I had phenomenal weather and didn’t need any more than a sweatshirt when I was there. Again, that was in September. The only place you may be weary of, may be on the Jungfraujoch, or, perhaps the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise as they are higher than the rest of the places you mentioned. Other than that, you should be fine, but pack layers just in case.

Hope this may help you in some way. Enjoy your trip and have fun.

Regards,

Danielsan

ying8484
    Participant
    14 posts
    30 July 2022 at 14:01:45 #944713

Thank you! The weather seems gloomy these days, so fingers crossed for gd weather when I fly over next week! What about sleepwear? The usual pjs or need thermal? Cos I saw that the weather at night can drop to 8deg.. Or would swiss hotels have heaters? thanks!

Anna
    6382 posts
    30 July 2022 at 14:18:48 #944714

Hi ying6484,

Normal pjs would be sufficient. All Swiss hotels have heating but these might be switched off in summer unless there’s a big temperature drop. You can always check with your hotels when you make your bookings.

Regards,

anna

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    30 July 2022 at 15:01:24 #944715

Hi ying8484,

Just go with whatever is your usual pj’s, or a pair of shorts and a tee. That much less to pack….I can’t see it getting that cold. If so, just get under the covers and wait for the morning….hope your weather is great, enjoy.

Danielsan

ying8484
    Participant
    14 posts
    30 July 2022 at 17:15:29 #944716

Thanks for the tips! I will go with you all have suggested! 🙂

• The thread ‘Weather and clothing for Aug trip Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.