3 days in March after Bernina Express, what to do?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2016 at 15:57:48 #810468

hi there,

my husband and I will be taking the Bernina Express on 3/19/17 arriving at Chur at 18:20. We will be flying home out of Zurich on 3/23 in the morning. Looking for things to do in the middle 🙂

Should we take a train to Lucerne and stay there the entire time until we have to fly out? Or should we just stay in Zurich? Or stay in Chur?

it will be our first time in Switzerland.

Thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 December 2016 at 19:08:52 #857508

Hi dreamheart,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps! Can you share what your interests are? Would you like to hike, shop, visit museums, make more scenic trips, etc?

In any case I’d suggest to stay near the Alps (so not Zurich for all 3 days), but that still leaves plenty of options.

Note that the main menu options “Where to go” and “What to do” provide a lot of ideas. That’s a good place to start exploring.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2016 at 3:10:00 #857509

Thank you for your response! Not sure about hiking in March because of the weather, but if it’s doable then we’d love to do it. And yes more scenic trips please. I’ll look at your suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 December 2016 at 7:42:57 #857510

Hi Dreamheart-

You concerns about March weather for hiking are certainly valid. I’ve had a few warm sunny days in late March, for example, near Murten (at 435 meters above sea level), but the weather is usually not all that great.

However, at such lower altitudes, there may well be worthwhile trails. Some of the trails around Lake Lucerne may be OK. I’d not plan on it, but, if you base in Luzern (German spelling) , you have a wide range of options available, including day trips to , for example, Bern, mountains (Mt. Titlis), lake boat rides (limited schedule) or the city itself. And, maybe a hike.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

This thread may give you some ideas, but I don’t know if those trails will be accessible:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Also, some of the trails near the Jungfrau are groomed for winter hiking until near the end of the ski season, sometime in March. Annika and Arno know those better than I do, and also know more about when they are open.

Check this link, too:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘3 days in March after Bernina Express, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.