Where to purchase Swiss Museum Pass in Switzerland

• Marggy
    Participant
    51 posts
    19 August 2022 at 14:08:37 #828131

After having to postpone our Switzerland trip in 2020, we were very excited to arrive in Basel late yesterday. We will spend the next 5 weeks touring in Switzerland. I thought I was organised but have hit a problem today with purchasing the Swiss Museum Pass.

We headed off to the train station to buy our Half Fare Cards and Swiss Museum Passes. Whilst we purchased the Half Fare Cards, we were told the stations no longer sell the museum pass. We headed off to the tourist information office but no they don’t sell the Swiss Museum Passes either and told us to go to the post office. The post office said they could order them but were unsure of when we would get them. This wouldn’t really work because we are travelling around and want to start using them straight away.

We then tried the Kunstmuseum only to be told they need to be ordered and to order them, we need a Swiss residential address.

Does anyone know of anywhere we can purchase the museum passes? We are moving on to Neuchatel tomorrow.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    19 August 2022 at 17:49:25 #945824

Hi Marggy,

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, you can use it as Swiss Museum Pass. You can find the details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/details

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

Marggy
    Participant
    51 posts
    20 August 2022 at 4:14:09 #945825

Thanks Anna. I don’t have a Swiss Travel Pass. I have the half fare card so wanted to purchase the Swiss Museum Pass.

Anna
    6384 posts
    20 August 2022 at 12:21:30 #945826

Hi again,

The Museum Pass is available separately from the Swiss Travel Pass as an annual pass. I’m not sure this would be practical for you.

As an alternative, you might want to check if your hotel provides a Visitor Card. This usually includes some discounts or free entrance to local museums and tourist attractions.

Regards,

Anna

Marggy
    Participant
    51 posts
    20 August 2022 at 18:52:25 #945827

Hi Anna, some of the hotels do provide a card that gives us discounts. Before leaving home I did a comprehensive spreadsheet that showed it was worth it for us to buy the Swiss Museum Pass. However, I have been unable to purchase it. Do you know where I can get it?

Thank you

Anna
    6384 posts
    20 August 2022 at 19:00:49 #945828

Hi again,

You can order the Swiss Museum Pass online here: http://www.museumspass.ch/en/

Also, you can contact them directly and enquire if it’s possible to purchase the pass directly.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 August 2022 at 6:00:39 #945829

Hi Marggy,

Sorry to hear about your problems getting a Swiss Museum Pass. Apparently it’s not easy for travelers from abroad to get one, unless they’re having a Swiss Travel Pass (Flex). The Swiss Musem Pass website isn’t clear about this either. I think Anna’s advice to contact the organization directly is your best bet. I hope you get this sorted and that the rest of your long stay in Switzerland is everything you hoped for after several years of waiting :-)!

Marggy
    Participant
    51 posts
    29 August 2022 at 4:29:43 #945830

Sorry for the delayed response. My only excuse is that we have been putting in long days enjoying the Swiss scenery. We have had such great weather and our trips up Schilthorn and Jungfrajoch were just amazing. We did contact the Swiss Museum Pass directly and these are the options they gave us.

1.Come into their Zurich office and purchase the pass directly. (This won’t work for us because Zurich is about half way through our trip).

2. Order the pass online or over the phone with them and they send it out the next day.

3. Order it at a post office or a major museum and it would be about a week or so before it was sent out.

With options 2 and 3, they said we could use the order for 2 weeks whilst we waited on the pass to arrive.

We have decided to just forget about purchasing it. We would have to put a hotel address and we think the risk of the pass not turning up at the hotel when we are there is not worth taking. Hopefully the information will help someone else.

On a positive note, there are discounts that we were not aware of so did not include in my spreadsheet, e.g. yesterday we visited Hallwyl Castle we received a 2 for 1 voucher for a range of other castles.

Thanks again for your help.

Anna
    6384 posts
    29 August 2022 at 4:38:20 #945831

Hi Marggy,

Thanks for sharing this information although none of the options worked out for you. Glad you found some alternative options though.

Glad you’re enjoying your trip and I hope the weather continues to be great.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Where to purchase Swiss Museum Pass in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.