Which leg of the Glacier Express is beautiful?

• Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    15 June 2021 at 14:17:32 #825854

Because of this past year with Covid we have adjusted our future Swiss train itinerary.

1. We were going to board the Glacier Express in St. Moritz but some of our group do not want to be on the train that long. I came up with a plan to take the train from Zurich to Lugano———spend a few days there————–then take the train From Lugano to Andermott and then get the Glacier Express in Andermott————–traveling to Zermatt.

2. My first question is the scenery on this leg of the Glacier Express beautiful? Is there any particular leg on the Glacier Express that is more worthwhile than the other?

Thanks

Kathy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 June 2021 at 18:52:12 #935183

Hi Kathy,

The route from Brig to Zermatt is quite scenic.

Different sections of the Glacier Express are explained in detail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    15 June 2021 at 19:49:17 #935184

Dear Anna,

This trip will probably be in Sept. 2022————–dont want to chance issues because of Covid

Thanks for your help

Kathy

Annika
    7124 posts
    16 June 2021 at 7:29:51 #935185

Hi Kathy! Let’s assume things will look much better by September 2022. Travel options to Switzerland will very probably already improve in summer 2021. You’ll have lots of time to plan now, and I hope you’re looking forward to your trip :-).

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 June 2021 at 7:36:20 #935186

Hi Kathy,

Most of the Glacier Express route is scenic, but my favorite section is Andermatt to St. Moritz. Just two alternatives to consider:

• To travel from Lugano to Zermatt, there’s also the Centovalli route via Locarno, Domodossola, Brig. That still includes the Brig to Zermatt leg of the Glacier Express route. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/centovalli.
    • Zurich to Lugano can be done on the Gotthard Panorama Express via Lucerne. That includes a boat section where you can sit outdoors if the weather is friendly. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress.

Have fun planning!

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    16 June 2021 at 8:23:26 #935187

Thanks again for your helpful advice. We will be traveling from Interlaken to Lucerne———possibly the cruise on Lake Lucerne—-cogwheel train to top of mountain. returning by gondola

Our itinerary is as follows:

Flying into Ljubljana for 3 nights

Ljubljana–Zurich

Zurich–Lugano—2 nights

Lugano—Andermott; Glacier Express to Zermatt

Zermatt—-Interlaken for 2 nights

Interlaken to Lucerne for 2 nights

Lucerne to Zurich Airport

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    16 June 2021 at 13:56:59 #935188

I have a few questions:

1. On the day we leave Lugano on the train to Andermatt is the train station we arrive into Andermatt the same as where we would get the Glacier Express?

2. I think we will be buying a Swiss Train pass———–on our trip to Andermatt do we need to buy a ticket if we have the train pass?

3. Do we buy a ticket for the Glacier Express?

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    16 June 2021 at 16:12:44 #935189

Hi Sparkyenos,

>>Zermatt—-Interlaken for 2 nights<< >

This confuses me.. Are you spending any time in Zermatt? I assume you are, but it sounds like just for a cup of coffee. Sounds like a lot of time on trains and missing the beauty of Zermatt, and the iconic Matterhorn. The train to Interlaken is at least three hours or more.

As far as I know the train station is the same to get the Glacier express. As long as you have your Swiss Travel Pass, you don’t need a ticket, but you will need a reservation, (which is essentially a separate ticket). You can/should make the reservations before you go. There will be a separate fee, for the reservation only, but not much since it is only a small leg of the Glacier Express.

I hope you have a great trip. The scenery on nearly all trains is beautiful. More so because you can absorb it without having to concentrate on the road. Happy trails.

Danielsan

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    16 June 2021 at 18:13:48 #935190

Yes we will spend 2 nights in Zermatt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2021 at 18:54:40 #935191

Hi Sparkyenos,

Here you can see the validity map of the Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. Swiss Travel Pass is valid on trains and panoramic trains, except the seat reservation. So for the Glacier Express you need to get your seat reservation in advance. You can read more about it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets.

If you want, you can combine the Gotthard Panorama Express and the Glacier Express like this: Lugano – Göschenen (Gotthard Panorama Express), Göschenen – Andermatt (cogwheel train), Andermatt – Zermatt (Glacier Express). Read more about it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress/gettingthere.

There is only one train station in Andermatt.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    16 June 2021 at 19:26:20 #935192

Thanks for all your advice

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    16 June 2021 at 20:23:29 #935193

Hi Sparkyenos,

Very glad to hear. If you haven’t already been there, you will not be disappointed, trust me. Enjoy!

Danielsan

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    16 June 2021 at 21:51:44 #935194

Yes I have been to Switzerland before but wanted to revisit because of the unbelievable beauty———–anxious to have more train rides

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    16 June 2021 at 22:59:06 #935195

Touche. I couldn’t agree more, and can’t wait to go back!!

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    18 June 2021 at 15:34:14 #935196

I find it very confusing trying to figure out which train to take—–

If I am leaving Lugano heading to Zermatt the following is recommended:

Lugano to Goschenn on the Gotthard Panorama Express

Goschenn to Andermatt on a Cogwheel Train

Andermatt to Zermatt on the Glacier Express

How do I make the arrangements for all these times for 3 different train schedules———is this doable in one day?

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    18 June 2021 at 16:46:42 #935197

Hi Kathy,

This can be done in one day, yes. The cog wheel train from Goschenn to Andermatt is, I believe only about a 12-15 min. ride. It’s basically just a connection between the two stations, and no reservation needed. You just need to figure out the arrival time from Lugano, and the time leaving Andermatt. Those are the two you will need the reserve for. The timetables should be able to help you out on that. You can also take the public train to Goschenn, as it travels along the same route if you are having trouble with the reservations. That way you only need the one reservation on the G-express. Just another option. Also, as Arno had mentioned, there is also the Centovalli route to Brig, which I understand is very scenic, and quite a beautiful ride. The ride from Brig into Zermatt is only about another hour and a half or so (give or take), with one less transfer. I hope this helps and doesn’t further your confusion, but there are many options with the STP. You have plenty of time to figure things out, so take your time, and enjoy that part as well as the trip itself.

Danielsan

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    18 June 2021 at 17:24:10 #935198

Thanks again————–I have traveled quite a bit in Europe on trains but never have I had so many questions and so much doubt about which route to take: making sure we dont pick a train that goes through too many tunnels and hopefully not too many stops———trying to lighten the luggage so to make the connections easier

will be in touch

Kathy

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    18 June 2021 at 17:58:17 #935199

More questions:

Do I take the trip:

1. Lugano—-Brig on the Centovalli Train; then Brig to Zermatt on the Glacier Express

2. Lugano—Goschenn (Gothard Panorama Express————Goschenn—Andermatt (Cogwheel train)————Andermatt—Zermatt (Glacier Express)

I feel really overwhelmed with all these choices————-I start to read about different train lines and I become confused. After this decision is made I am really confused as to how I will sort through the schedules of each of these trains.

I guess my big question is what choice do I make that is the least problematic and easy to render??????????????/

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 June 2021 at 19:07:32 #935200

Hi Kathy,

1. The first option Lugano to Brig (via Locarno) will take you about 3 hours (fastest connection).

2. The second option Lugano to Brig (via Goschenen) will take you about 5 hours (fastest connection).

From Brig, there are regular trains to Zermatt. If you are planning to take the Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express, you need to make seat reservations. Alternatively you can also take the regular trains (without reservations) which travel on the same routes. For details about making seat reservations, please use the following links:

I hope this information is helpful. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Anna

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    19 June 2021 at 10:12:48 #935201

Thanks for the great advice

Kathy

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    19 June 2021 at 10:20:02 #935202

The second option is:

Lugano—Goschenn——

–Goschenn——Andermatt——

—Andermatt——–Zermatt—–

I am looking for the train trip with the best views and least amount of connections.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • The thread ‘Which leg of the Glacier Express is beautiful?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.