Train passes for 11 days in Switzerland & Germany

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2019 at 15:09:53 #823825

Hi,

I’m in the beginning stages of planning my first trip to Switzerland and Germany in September 2020. I am planning to flying into Zurich and out of Munich. I need assistance try to figure out which train passes I might need to compare for my trip. From the day of arrival to the day of departure, I will be in Switzerland 11 days. See my tentative Switzerland itinerary below.

3-Sep-20 – Depart Los Angeles for Zurich.

Day 1 (4-Sep-20) Arrive in Zurich, then transfer to Lucerne, by train, for the night.

Day 2 (5-Sep-20) Take the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne to Lugano (Boat/Train combo – Lucerne–Lake of Lucerne–Flüelen–Gotthard–Bellinzona–Lugano). Spend the night on Lugano.

Day 3 (6-Sep-20) Take the Bernina Express from Lugano to St. Moritz(Bus/Train combo – Lugano – Tirano – St. Moritz). Spend the night in St. Moritz.

Day 4 (7-Sep-20) Take the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt. Spend three nights in Zermatt.

Day 5 & 6 (8-Sept-20 & 9-Sept-20) Explore Zermatt: Take the Gornegratbahn, visit Gornergrat, take the Kleine Matterhorn Cablecar, visit Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, do the 5 Lakes hike, walk around the town, etc.

Day 7 (10-Sep-20) Take the train from Zermatt to Wengen. Spend four nights in Wengen.

Day 8, 9 & 10 (11-Sept-20, 12-Sept-20 & 13-Sept-20) Explore the Bernese Oberland region. Take the Jungfrau Railway to Jungfraujoch, explore Wengen, Mürren, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, and Interlaken. Visit to Schnyige Platte, Grindelwald First, do the First Cliff Walk, First Flyer, First Glider, First Mountain Cart, First Trottibikes, do the luge (toboggan) track at Pfingstegg, paragliding, view the waterfalls, etc.

Day 11 (14-Sep-20) Take the train from Wengen to Interlaken to Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany). From Freiburg im Breisgau, rent a carand drive to Schwangau, to continue my trip in Germany.

Since I will be in Switzerland 11 days, will I be able to make an 8-day Swiss pass, flex or continuous, work with use of the Bernese Oberland pass in the middle or by using Supersaver fares and/or buying a German Railways advance-purchase sparpreis ticket to Freiburg in Breisgau on the end days? It seems there might be a way to do it but I’m not sure how so I can start to compare pass prices. If not, I can compare the half-fare card with a 15-day continuous.

Any advice on the itinerary or on train passes would be appreciated.

• The thread ‘Train passes for 11 days in Switzerland & Germany’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.