Zurich or Lausanne or Basel or Geneva for 2 nights

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2021 at 14:23:34 #825805

Hi everyone,

This will be our third try to visit Switzerland since the pandemic began. Hopefully, our trip starting August 27 will not be cancelled this year. We will start our trip in Lindau, Germany on August 27 for 2 nights and then will be embarking on a river cruise on August 31 in Lyon, France. I need to choose a hotel in Switzerland for August 28 and 29th, 2 nights and am trying to decide on where to stay according to the train schedules.

Our choices seem to be Zurich, Lausanne, Basel or Geneva. As much as I read everywhere sounds great.

Just looking for suggestions from travelers who visited these cities/towns. on where would be a beautiful place to see for two nights/3 days.

Thanks for all your help.

Phyllis

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2021 at 20:10:13 #934827

Hi Phyllis,

I hope that this time you can finally come to visit Switzerland.

This type of question is very difficult to answer as we do not know what you prefer what you like so it really depends on the visitor. 🙂

I guess you’ve already seen these pages, but in case you didn’t:

Make sure to check all the tabs on those pages.

Personally, I am living in Lausanne and I love this town. It has a great Olympic Museum, the harbour, called Ouchy has a wonderful atmosphere. I also love that it is so hilly. In my opinion, Lausanne is a very Swiss town although I am not sure that this would be the best option if you are coming as a tourist to see touristy places. If you are coming to Lausanne I would recommend visiting Montreux and the Lavaux area.

Geneva and Zurich are very international, many people speak English, great museums – from these two I, personally would choose Zürich.

I’ve been a few times Basel, it was OK, but not my favourite town – again, it is depending on the people. 🙂

If you are staying in Geneva you can take a train and visit Lausanne for half a day or vice versa, they are very close, just 60 mins away.

I hope this helps a bit,
    Ildiko

Arno
    15481 posts
    1 April 2021 at 9:42:47 #934828

Hi Phyllis,

Everywhere sounds great and I honestly think you can’t go wrong for two nights in any of these towns, provided that you do a bit of research based on your interests like Ildiko said. The pages Ildiko linked to will hopefully help you make a decision.

Don’t miss our self guided walks in each of the cities:

Shahharesh
    Participant
    15 posts
    1 April 2021 at 17:51:20 #934829

If you’d want to experience the true taste andjoy of Swiss, please try and avoid the big cities like Zurich and Geneva. Better to go in the heartlands and enjoy the beauty of nature. Lausanne or Montreux are anytime better, even if its just 2 days.

Lijianhughes
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 April 2021 at 0:55:03 #934830

Hello Phyllis,

If you’re a nature and countryside lover like me you would definitely choose Lausanne among the 4. Apart of the attractions that Ildiko mentioned in the historical town you can also visit the lovely Lavaux vinyard along the lake Geneve shore. I also found it easier to find nice food in smaller towns compared to that in big cities. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Regards

Li

• The thread ‘Zurich or Lausanne or Basel or Geneva for 2 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.