New rail pass – Saver Day Pass

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 November 2017 at 5:56:00 #813598

Previously it was necessary to have a half-fare card in order to buy a Saver Day Pass. This is no longer necessary. If you are able to buy a Day Saver Pass around 10 days before travel you can get a DSP for CHF52 (or CHF29 if you have a Half-fare Card). If you try to buy one a day ahead you pay CHF106 instead of CHF52. So it needs a bit of pre-planning to be properly cost-effective.

Make sure you read the Terms and Conditions at http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html

In particular if you don’t have a Half-fare Card then there is no discount on the mountain cog-wheel trains and cable cars that are shown as dotted lines on the validity map.

Note 1: Half-fare Card above refers to either the domestic version or the tourist oriented Swiss Half-fare Card.

Note 2: Not sure if this is a short term offer for the “off-season”.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 November 2017 at 18:45:51 #871467

Thanks for the update Rockoyster! I don’t think this is a temporary offer, although the product might disappear if it does not work for SBB and the other transportation companies. I will see if we can add a full page about it some day. Until then I have added details and links to our page about the 1-day travelpass for Swiss Half Fare Card holders, as the Saver Day Pass is an alternative to that. So at least we have a central place to refer to now. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2017 at 13:23:29 #871468

Does one need reservation to use the Day Pass on the day of travel? Do you just get on any train that is in GA area without additional reservation?

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 November 2017 at 19:33:36 #871469

Hi Wentao,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Reservations are not required in Switzerland apart from a few tourist trains. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 6:19:36 #871470

Hi,

I will be traveling to Switzerland from Milan on Nov 30, and will be leaving Switzerland from Basel to Paris on Dec 4 (afternoon at 4.30pm). So its total of 5-days, 4 nights in Switzerland. I would like to ask whether my plan below on purchasing the passes is correct. There isn’t 5-day pass, so I was contemplating to buy either:

Opt 1: Saver Day Pass (CHF 52) for Nov 30 travelling + 4-day pass (Dec 1, 2, 3, 4)

Opt 2: 4-day pas (Nov 30, Dec 1, 2, 3) + Saver Day Pass (Dec 4)

Opt 2: Point to point ticket (Day 1, Nov 30) + 4-day pass (Dec 1, 2, 3, 4)

Opt 2: 4-day pass (Nov 30, Dec 1, 2, 3) + Point to point ticket (Day 5, Dec 4)

For your information, my traveling areas are:

Nov 30: Milan to Zermatt (Via Domodossola and Brig). Reaching Zermatt in the late afternoon [around 5pm]

Dec 1: Exploring Zermatt, including taking the Gornergrat train. After lunch, Zermatt to Luzern (based in Luzern – 3nights)

Dec 2: Exploring Luzern, Interlaken

Dec 3: Exploring Mount Titlis

Dec 4: Luzern – Zurich (explore for 2 hrs) – Basel (explore 2 hours). By 4.30pm, taking train from Basel to Paris.

Appreciate some feedback on the above travel pass/train tickets so I can purchase the necessary in advance. Trying to be cost-effective.

Thank you.

Hani

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 November 2017 at 6:33:57 #871471

Hi Hani and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Any of your options will work. The Saver Day Pass will only save you a few CHF (provided you can get them for CHF52) on the trips you plan compared to point to point tickets. That’s assuming you will just go Domodossola to Zermatt and no other transport on day 1 and same for Luzern Basel via Zurich on last day.

Yes you can buy in advance on line. Swiss Travel Pass you can buy here http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price and request on-line, print at home delivery. Saver Day Pass you can buy at the SBB Ticket shop on-line. http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html You probably need to buy 10 days in advance to ensure lowest price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 9:22:52 #871472

It really depends on the travel plans you make on each day as to whether point to point tickets or the Saver Day Pass is better for the days you don’t use the Swiss Travel Pass.

Once your travel itinerary is set you can use our excel sheet here to help you do the math and compare prices.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 November 2017 at 21:01:47 #871473

It is now possible to purchase the Saver Day Pass using the SBB mobile app. Even though the app updated on my iPad to version 7.2.1 yesterday I could not see the SDP option. I deleted the app and re-installed and the SDP option appeared. I now have SBB app version 7.2.2.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2017 at 1:11:39 #871474

Hi Lucas and Rockoyster,

Thanks for the replies and links. I think I will just get the Day Saver Pass and Swiss Travel Pass. I have checked on several websites the difference is small.

My next question is about activating my pass in the train from Domodossola to Brig and Zermatt.

So my plan is to:

1. Purchase train ticket online now for departing Milano Centrale at 12.23pm, arriving Domodossola at 13.43pm. It says the train is Eurocity34. And it will cost 11euro.

2. I found that the same EC34 train goes straight to Brig from Domodossola at 13.48. So I guess I can stay on the same train right without going out of the train at the station because I have my Swiss Day/Travel Pass and the train conductor will come and activate/validate in the train (on the same seat?, need to reserve or change?).

3. Once I’m in Brig, I can continue using the pass. Just need to change train, as EC34 arrives at Brig Station. So, arriving at Brig station Platform 1, then walk to Brig Bahnhofplatz (I have 11 mins to catch next train to Zermatt) on Platform 12.

Appreciate your advice especially on about activating my pass.

Thanks.

Hani

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 November 2017 at 2:36:50 #871475

Hi Hani,

You wrote . . . So I guess I can stay on the same train right without going out of the train at the station because I have my Swiss Day/Travel Pass and the train conductor will come and activate/validate in the train (on the same seat?, need to reserve or change?).

There is no validation/activation required. Just show the conductor your pass (I am assuming you will have printed at home before your travel). Conductor may also ask to see your passport for identification. You don’t need seat reservation on the Swiss leg. Stay where you are.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2017 at 7:20:33 #871476

Yes, once you have bought the Swiss Day Saver (for a specific day) or the Swiss Travel Pass (with a set start date) then you don’t activate it once purchased.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2017 at 23:19:37 #871477

Hi Rockoyster and Lucas,

Thanks again for the reply and confirmation.

OK, noted. It’s pretty simple then with the 2 passes.

Just purchase on the date, print at home and print it along wherever you go in Switzerland.

I’m all set then with my train schedule and itinerary from Milan to Zermatt.

Thank you!!

Hani

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 November 2017 at 1:22:29 #871478

Hi Hani,

When you said “Just purchase on the date . . .” did you mean “Just purchase FOR the required date”?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 4:16:18 #871479

Hi Rockoyster,

Yes, that’s what I meant 😉

I will buy later tonight for the required date.

Saver Day Pass: for 1st day (Nov 30).

Swiss Travel Pass: for the next 4 days (Dec 1, 2, 3, 4).

Can’t wait to explore Switzerland using trains.

Thanks!

Hani

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 16:16:59 #871480

Thank you so much! I was able to purchase it for my travel date.

• The thread ‘New rail pass – Saver Day Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.