Child traveling for free with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 12:38:45 #816271

Hi,

Quick question: If I purchase a half fare card, my 14 year old child then travels free if he’s travelling with me. Is this correct?

If it is correct, is there then no need to purchase any other passes for him – for example a child regional Bernese Oberland Pass or child Jungfrau travel pass? Are these passes now not necessary if I have a family card due to my purchase of the half price card?

Thank you

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 13:05:07 #886561

Hi Sparksy,

You need to order the free Swiss Family Card at time of purchase of the Swiss Half Fare Card. That is what entitles your child to travel free.

A note though: Will you have both the Swiss Half Fare Card and either the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland or Jungfrau Travel Pass for yourself? As some people travel with both during their trip.

If you are traveling in the Bernese Oberland / Jungfrau region and using either the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland or Jungfrau Travel Pass for that days travel (rather than using the Swiss Half Fare Card) then the Swiss Family Card does not apply for your child.

So, you must use The Swiss Half Fare Card and the ticket you bought at 50% off for the trip you are on for your child to be free on the Swiss Family Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 1:30:01 #886562

Hi Lucas,

Ah yes – a very good point. I do plan to use the Bernese Oberland or Jungfrau pass along with the half fare card, so I will need to buy my son a pass too. (I thought it seemed too good to be true!!)

Thank you

• The thread ‘Child traveling for free with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.