Wengen 3 days: itinerary, tickets, routes, Berner Oberland Pass too?

• Cora
    Participant
    18 posts
    21 April 2024 at 18:32:08 #1436677

Hello,

I’m very grateful and appreciative to my Swiss alps community for all the help.

So just when I thought that I have my Switzerland trip planned according to your suggestions, I feel like I’m more confused than ever.

Staying in Wengen ( Arenas resort Victoria) for 3 nights

Here’s my itenerary:

1. 22.08.2024 Zermatt to Wengen. Stopping at Interlaken ost. I messed up here because I only purchased ticket to interlaken ost, so meaning I have to purchase another ticket from interlaken ost to Wengen. Am I right?

2. Arriving at 11:58 from Zermatt. Store luggage at interlaken ost .
    Will do harder kulm and lake Brienz boat tour if time permits. Is it doable to do both?

3. 23.08.2024

Grindelwald First. What’s the best route, if I decide to do Lake Brienz today. I also would like to do the  hike . how much time is needed as I’m thinking on the way back to Wengen will stop at Lauterbrunnen for a stroll and see the falls.

3. Schilthorn- Murren – Gimmelwald- Mannlichen- Royal walk- panoramic hike to Klein scheindegg and back to Wengen.

When purchasing ticket with a combination train and aerial ride, do I do it separately ? For example, Wengen to schiltorn. There are 2 gondola ride for this route. When i input Wengen to Schiltorn, am I paying for the whole trip (return trip) which includes train and aerial cable car with transfers until I get to my destination ?

Also is it worth buying an oberland pass . I already purchase swiss half card.

Thank you so much .

Best, Cora

• Yolanda
    2412 posts
    22 April 2024 at 0:05:01 #1436690

Hi Cora,

That’s great to hear you are finding our forum and website useful 🙂

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, you’ll need to buy a ticket for your journey, Interlaken Ost to Wengen

2. Yes, I think it’s possible to fit in a boat trip on Lake Brienz and also visit Harder Kulm during the afternoon.

The boat trip from Interlaken Ost to Brienz is just over an hour but there are shorter boat trips too.  More details in the attached link:  https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/boat-lake-brienz/.

A visit to Harder Kulm without any hiking at the top would take around an hour.  All information here:  https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/harder-kulm/

3. There are a two options to travel from Wengen to Grindelwald. (a) Take the train to Grindelwald and then walk or take the bus to the Firstbahn cable car station. (b) In Wengen take the cable car to Mannlichen, then the gondola down to Grindelwald Terminal and then train to Grindelwald/ Firstbahn cable car station. Both journeys take about 1 hour.

All details on how to reach Grindelwald First:  https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/grindelwald-first/

I wasn’t sure of which hike you were referring to? Were you thinking of the hike from Grindelwald First to Grosse Scheidegg.  If it’s this one, you would need around 1h 30 (https://www.myswissalps.com/blog/hike-first-grosse-scheidegg/)

4. If you have keyed in Wengen-Schilthorn return then this is your entire trip to reach Schilthorn and back.  More on a visit to Schilthorn in the below link:

If you are envisaging a lot of travel in the region.  I think based on your plans above, it could be worth investing in the Jungfrau Travel Pass (25% discounted with the Swiss Half Fare Card too).  If further afar, the Berner Oberland Pass (30% discounted with the Swiss Half Fare Card) could be another option too. However, as you will already have the Swiss Half Fare Card (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/)  , I do recommend that your carry out some maths to see if it is worth your while as there is a minimum 3 day purchase for either passes.  Take a look at our guides below and also the coverage maps too:

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Cora
    Participant
    18 posts
    22 April 2024 at 15:50:50 #1440642

Hi Yolanda,

Thank you for responding. I appreciate what you do specially for us first timers  traveling to Switzerland. I can’t thank you enough for all the help and advice. It really is a big help.

I having a hard time deciding which combo excursion I should pursue.

1.     a)  Wengen-Schilthorn with stop to Murren( stroll) and Gimmelwald for lunch and stroll(return ). Where do I stop to hike to Gimmelwald? Before I reach Schilthorn piz gloria or should I do it on the way back. Which is best route.

b) Wengen-Mannlichen, includes royal walk and panoramic hike to klein Scheindegg

2.    a) Wengen-First Grindelwald, includes first walk and Balchapsee hike.

b) Wengen – Männlichen, includes panoramic hike to klein Scheidegg

Questions: How to buy the tickets. I’m debating if I should buy Oberland pass. If I have Oberland pass for 3 days then I don’t have to worry about train transfers and in between transportations since it’s all included in the Oberland pass. There are 4 of us travelling and I’m the most active one and most likely doing most of the excursion. My husband has mobility issue and  the other couple travelling with us are not into hiking. Any recommendations for them? We are based in Wengen for 3 nights at Arenas resort Victoria-lauberhorn. They could join me in Männlichen minus the hiking part. A stroll around Lauterbrunnen valley is another. And even just Wengen is also beautiful.

The Oberland pass for 3 days is consecutive. For example if I buy for August 22, then I have to use it for the days August 22,23,24. If I don’t buy the Oberland pass, then I would have to buy 4 separate tickets?

Best,

Cora

Anna
    6406 posts
    23 April 2024 at 9:01:52 #1440662

Hi Cora,

If you could only pick 2 hikes, I would do Wengen-Mannlichen and the panoramic trail to Kleine Scheidegg on day 1 and Wengen-Grindelwald First and hike to Bachalpsee on day 2.

Regarding tickets and passes, I think the Berner Oberland Pass would be the most convenient option if you are planning to do a lot of mountain excursions as mountain transportation can be expensive without a railpass. You can purchase the Berner Oberland Pass at a reduced price if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card.

For travellers not into hiking and mountain excursions, I think the Swiss Half Fare Card might be sufficient as you can still purchase rail tickets at half-price.

Regards,

Anna

Cora
    Participant
    18 posts
    25 April 2024 at 4:28:47 #1459699

Thank you Anna.
    I like your suggestions.
    In addition to the two hikes, I still would like to go to Murren and Gimmelwald, and Schilthorn if time permits.

Best,

Cora

Yolanda
    2412 posts
    25 April 2024 at 7:50:44 #1459704

Hi Cora,

I’d just play everything by ear and also how the weather behaves too, when you are here.  That could sway what is doable or not doable too. Definitely for your visit to Schilthorn, check the weather forecast before heading up.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Cora
    Participant
    18 posts
    26 April 2024 at 12:53:22 #1462387

Hi Yolanda,

Thank you. I agree and I’m flexible with my itinerary.

Best,

Cora

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11170 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.