Help to review 3 day itinerary for Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 19:19:29 #814403

Hi,

I am planning 3 days trip on May 11th to May 13th. Is this good time for below plan?

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich by 10:00 AM, Spend time in City and maybe Boat trip till 2:00 pm. Checkin Hotel at 2:00 pm. Then Visit Rhine Falls and return to Zurich (Hotel) by night 9:00 pm.

Day2: Leave Zurich early morning (6:00 AM) to Interlaken Ost for one day trip to Jungfrau region. I planned as per (Jungfrau region in one day post in myswissalps) and return to Luzern for the stay.

Day 3: on this day I am thinking to visit Titlis in the morning and Rigi (boat trip to Vitznau and cogwheel train to Rigi & return via Arth-Goldau to Luzern) in the noon. So I will miss The Pilatus. Do you suggest to skip Pilatus or Rigi? ( any two can be done in a day?

Thanks for suggestions ..

RK.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 9:18:44 #876558

Hi RK and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. This seems ok, but I don’t think you’ll have time to see much of the city before/after a Zurich lake cruise within those 4 hours from the airport.
    2. Long day but very doable. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan all your trips within Switzerland.
    3. Yes, in one full day any 2 mountains can be done. Hard to pick one mountain to drop. Will you have a Swiss Travel Pass for the 3 days? In that case Mt. Rigi is free whereas Mt. Pilatus is only 50% discounted.
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 February 2018 at 9:22:13 #876559

Hi RK,

Are you flying out of Switzerland from Zurich? What time?

If it was me, for such a short trip, I would just establish a base in Lucerne, buy a Tell Pass and go from there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 13:08:08 #876560

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes, I will buy Swiss pass for 3 days and it looks cheaper. my Flyback from Zurich Airport is 14th May (4th day ) morning at 10 AM. Yes, I will be traveling from Lucerne directly to the airport. I could fly back same night but the flight is cheaper next day even after extra hotel expense. (for two people).

I will check if late night check-in is possible then I will choose to stay for the 1st day too in Lucerne.

Really great info by MySwissAlps! Much appreciated. !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 18:32:08 #876561

Hi,

on Day 2nd, will it be too difficult if I add Jungfraujoch too? I guess it will be an additional cost even with Swiss travel pass. I am more concerned about the time it takes. Thanks!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 February 2018 at 19:53:28 #876562

Yes Jungfraujoch is possible if the weather co-operates and you don’t mind a long day. Use the timetable link Lucas provided. You will get 25% discount from Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch.

Schilthorn is a free alternative. If you are at Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

Just be aware of some mountain closures http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gondolarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 9:24:21 #876563

Thanks a lot!! I have few more queries..

1. Do I need to buy Swiss travel pass now or can I wait until the beginning of May? any cost impact?

2. Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch tickets, prior booking is required or same day I can buy?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 11:58:51 #876564

Hi rkkare,

1. If you are buying the Swiss Travel Pass online, you can wait until a week before travel as it will be emailed to you to print at home (they say to give yourself 3 days for the order but it is usually instantaneous). It doesn’t have any impact on cost.
    2. You can purchase them on the day of your trip which I would recommend to do anyway. Imagine the weather being poor and there is no visibility.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2018 at 18:14:22 #876565

Hi,

Thanks. My Euro currency bank card will work there or should I have some cash converted to CHF?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 7:20:05 #876566

While in Switzerland I would definitely carry Swiss Francs. Though your bank card will work in most situations, some smaller stores in smaller towns still don’t accept cards at all.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 20:41:42 #876567

Thank you Lucas.

• The thread ‘Help to review 3 day itinerary for Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11100 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.