Jungfrau Travel Pass for a family

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 23:28:44 #816151

Hi there,

My family (two adults and two kids ages 13 and 15) will be traveling in Switzerland in August by car. We plan to stay 3 nights in Wengen. I thought I could a Jungfrau Travel pass for two adults and the kids would travel for 30 CHF each, but when I punch it into the Viator website, it charges me adult prices for all. Am I doing something wrong? Also, we are arriving late to Wengen on Tuesday and leaving early on Friday. It is less than 72 hours total. Would we still need a four day pass?

Thanks so much for your help!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 9:09:22 #885987

Hi Familyof Four and welcome to MySwissAlps!

That is a glitch I think with Viator. You can purchase the Jungfrau Travel Passes for your kids once you are there (Lauterbrunnen station where you’ll need to leave the car before training to Wengen).

All rail passes are based on calendar days. I’d buy a point to point ticket for Tuesday (Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is under 10chf) and have the Jungfrau Travel Passes valid for Wed, Thurs, Fri.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 2:10:26 #885988

Lucas, thank you so much for this information. I thought I had made a mistake. Do you think we can purchase the tickets at the Lauterbrunnen station or do they sell out? Are there automated machines or do are there people working in the evenings who can help? We will most likely be arriving around 6 or 7 pm.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 May 2018 at 2:30:48 #885989

The ticket shop at Lauterbrunnen Station is open 06:00 to 19:30.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 6:34:36 #885990

Tickets don’t sell out no. If you get to Lauterbrunnen late then you can buy it earlier in Interlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 15:44:48 #885991

Great info, thanks so much. I’m assuming parking will also be easy in Launterbrunnen?

Since we will be driving from Milan to Lugano to Faido to Launterbrunnen and later to Zurich (then to Germany and France, many of the roads appear to have tolls. Is there a pass that would make this less expensive? Do you have any words of advice when driving in Switzerland, other than don’t do it ? We’ve heard that a lot, 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 16:12:01 #885992

There is a big parking lot at Lauterbrunnen next to the train station.

We have driving tips for Switzerland here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/car

If you rent a car in Switzerland then it will have a motorway vignette already and you don’t have to worry about tolls. If your car is from another country you’ll need to buy the motorway vignette before or as soon as you cross the border: https://www.myswissalp s.com/motorwayvignette

I don’t have any information on tolls/toll roads in other countries though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 16:21:42 #885993

Thank you so much for your response. We are renting in Italy, so is it possible to purchase the vignette online or must we do it at the border? Also, I see a half fare pass is recommended. I had not intended to purchase one since we are only looking at purchasing the 3 day pass for Jungfrau that you recommended above. Does it make sense to also purchase to the half pass? Does this give us a discount on both the vignette and the Jungfrau 3 day pass?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 17:33:38 #885994

Sometimes the Swiss Half Fare Card is recommended for people traveling by car and who also want to do some mountain excursions. I can’t imagine it would be of any help on top of the Jungfrau Travel Pass in your case (already using a car for most trips)

It depends on your actual itinerary though. If you want to read more about choosing the best raill pass (Jungfrau Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card or none at all) for your trip read here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

A Swiss Half Fare Card does only gives discounts on public transit – nothing to do with cars.

You can buy the Vignette at the border or online. Purchase details are on the vignette link I gave on my last post.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau Travel Pass for a family’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.