Summer Tell-Pass & Jungfrau Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 3:35:06 #817182

Hi all,

I will be traveling to Switzerland in 2 weeks and am looking for some advance regarding the Summer Tell-Pass & the Jungfrau Travel Pass. I will be staying in Eschenbach, Lucerne and taking day trips from there for 8 days.

1. Zurich airport to Lucerne to Eschenbach
    2. 1 day Lucerne
    3. 1 day Schwyz
    4. 1 day Interlaken
    5. 2 days Grindelwald
    6. 1 day Lauterbrunnen
    7. 1 day Zurich
    8. Eschenbach to Lucerne & back to Zurich airport

My first question is given the amount of train travel I will be doing from Eschenbach to Lucerne and then on to all of the above stops I’m assuming it will be cheaper for me to buy both the Tell-Pass & Jungfrau pass instead of other daily or weekly passes correct?

Next, both the Tell-Pass & Jungfrau pass cover the areas that I need and even some of the activities I’m planning. However, Tell-Pass covers transportation to the Pilatus hike while the other covers Schynige Platte transportation. Unfortunately I’m planning on doing both on the same day. So I can either do Tell-Pass for Days 1-4 above and then Jungfrau for 5-8 or Tell-Pass for days 1-3 above and Jungfrau for 4-8. The price difference is about CHF 8. So my question is would it better for the Pilatus transportation to be free or the Schynige Platte to be free?

Thanks in advance!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 11:45:09 #890948

Hi Phips,

The Jungfrau Travel Pass won’t cover the whole trip to Schynige Platte if you are leaving that morning from Eschenbach. You’ll still need to buy a ticket to Interlaken.

Buying a rail pass will almost certainly be cheaper than point to point tickets yes (and much simpler).

Have you had a chance to do that math and compare costs of point to point tickets and rail passes? https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass That will help you figure out which rail pass, or passes (https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses) is best economically for your specific itinerary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 13:23:39 #890949

thanks. i assumed the rail passes would be better than point to point but wanted to check since they seem very expensive (in general).

i did briefly look at that “how to choose….” article. i am all set on the passes that i need but im just trying to determine if i should do a 3day TP/4day JTP or 4day TP/3 day JTP but given that you said the JTP won’t cover the whole trip to Schynige Platte I think I should use the TP for that day in order to cover the Pilatus trip & the train from Eschenbach to Interlaken (that is, if im reading this http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass/validity correctly). then I will just have to pay for the Schynige Platte ticket(s) separately. that seems like the cheaper way to do it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 5:59:52 #890950

The timetable will give you prices for you to compare.

Interlaken to Schynige Platte is about the same cost as Eschenbach to Pilatus maybe a few dollars cheaper. So I’d use the Tell Pass on that day. As it covers Pilatus and to Interlaken at least.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 13:24:33 #890951

hopefully last question: I know i can buy both passes online in advance and pick them up when i arrive at the Zurich airport but I can also stipulate which days each pass is for (not the duration but the actually date range), correct? meaning that if i pick up a JTP when i arrive at the airport I can wait to use it until after my TP expires, right?

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 July 2018 at 13:48:36 #890952

Hi Phips,

You can find the purchase options here:

To be more specific: the Tell-Pass can be purchased online via https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com/#/e n/overview/regionalPas ses and collected from Zurich airport. Free delivery to your home is available via https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/regional-pass-tell-pass, but since you’ll be traveling fairly quickly you should perhaps not risk that.

The Jungfrau Travel Pass can be ordered via https://www.viator.com /tours/Interlaken/3-6-Day-Jungfrau-Travel-Pass/d5011-6456VIP_PASS. You’ll get a printable voucher to exchange for the actual pass at a local train station.

In both cases you can select the start date of the pass during the purchase.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 0:53:02 #890953

yeah, thanks, im good on where & how to buy them.

i just wanted to ensure that i didnt have to start using the pass the day that i picked it up, which per your response it sounds like i dont.

Thanks for the help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2018 at 21:30:11 #890954

hi again,

i just want to make sure im understanding the Golden Pass line correctly. since I’ll be going from Luzern to Interlaken at least 3 times and that journey via Golden Pass is free with my Summer Tell-Pass that is the method of transportation that I’m going to use. should I buy tickets ahead of time or will buying each ticket at the station on each day suffice? im not sure i want to lock into a specific departure time so far in advance.

also, is the reverse trip (Interlaken to Luzern) also free? I’m guessing that it is but Luzern to Interlaken is specifically listed and Interlaken to Luzern isn’t. I just want to make sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 0:54:12 #890955

Hi Phips,

>> I’ll be going from Luzern to Interlaken at least 3 times and that journey via Golden Pass is free with my Summer Tell-Pass … should I buy tickets ahead of time or will buying each ticket at the station on each day suffice?

As your Tell-Pass is valid on the train between Luzern and Interlaken Ost, you don’t need any tickets. Your Tell-Pass is your ticket.

>> is the reverse trip (Interlaken to Luzern) also free?

Yes. Any route that is covered is covered in both directions.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 13:15:35 #890956

nice. cheers!

• The thread ‘Summer Tell-Pass & Jungfrau Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.