Swiss Half Fare Card & a regional pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 14:14:40 #814672

My wife and I are spending 2 weeks in Switzerland this coming August. Our Itinerary is arrive Zurich – train to Zermatt and stay 6 nights – train to Murren and stay 6 nights – train to Zurich for 1 night before flight home. We’ve been to Switzerland before and prefer the mountains over cities. We’re avid hikers and enjoy basing in one spot for several days rather than moving frequently. We’re planning on buying a Swiss Half Pass and wonder if we should also consider a Jungfrau Regional pass while we are in Murren. Our plans are to do some hiking in Wengen and Grindelwald as well as Murren. The tourist rides like the Jongfraujoch is not on our list. We’re not sure if there is a regional pass for Zermatt??

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 16:54:46 #878165

We are too old for hiking but I thought that since we are part of this forum I would extend a comment from my son’s travels to Switzerland.

Kenz and I walked from Adelboden to Kandersteg, then Kandersteg to Griesalp, then then Griesalp to Murren.

I can recommend the Parkhotel Bellevue in Adelboden. Really nice spot on the mountainside with great views from the pool area and the restaurant. The photos on google are accurate. I don’t think there’s a bad table in the restaurant, which had very unique and good food. The breakfast buffet was ridiculous with all sorts of authentic swiss stuff. I will go back there again some day.

Kandersteg was ho hum. Nice, but really a tourist town with a large boy scout/young adult camp. The kids were great, no problem, but it’s just really busy with tourists.

Griesalp was pretty neat too. We stayed at the Griesalp Hotelzentrum. The restaurant was quite authentic, waiter spoke very little/no English (which was unusual) and the food was good (not great) and what I would have expected to get in 1960. Their little spa has wood fired hot tubs with a nice view of the valley. The hotel is the town, so it is pretty remote and basically no tourists except for folks staying there.

Not sure if you’re going to be by car or not, but if not, Kenz and I had a service take our bags from hotel to hotel. We literally left them in the hotel lobby, they picked them up, and they showed up by around 5-6pm at the next hotel lobby. Really nice. The swiss train system has a similar service. You check your bag like at the airport and it shows up at the train station of your destination. We did this so we didn’t have to lug bags around on the trains, etc.

I hope this helps you with your travels.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2018 at 22:14:15 #878166

Hello Tnuhr,

I wonder if you have any details on the hotel to hotel luggage service your son used?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 7:00:12 #878167

Hi DVDoc,

It can be a good idea to combine with Swiss Half Fare Card with a Jungfrau Travel Pass – you even get a purchase discount on the JTP with it.

To know for sure which pass or passes are best for your specific itinerary, you’ll need to plan out all your excursions, find prices and do the math to compare. Our spreadsheet on How to choose the best rail pass will help you with that!

There is no regional card that includes Zermatt unfortunately.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 13:12:49 #878168

See the below

Luggage transport services within Switzerland | Switzerland Tourism

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/within-switzerland.html

Express luggage door-to-door. The service option “express door-to-door luggage” offers maximum convenience. The luggage may be handed over at the hotel in the morning and is waiting for the guest at the destination hotel in the evening the very same day. This service is provided at more than 30 Swisstourism hotspots.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 13:15:04 #878169

Thanks Lucas, I plan to buy the Half Pass before leaving the US. Can I buy the Jungfrau Travel Pass when I arrive in Murren? I think we’ll have a better idea of what transportation we will use.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 15:52:25 #878170

Yes, you can certainly wait until you arrive. You may want to grab the pass at Interlaken as discounts will be better from there on.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 March 2018 at 20:30:08 #878171

OK thanks. Thought it might have been something different to the SBB service which is outside my price range.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card & a regional pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.