Solo traveler 1 week in Switzerland trip report

• wanderdiva
    Participant
    38 posts
    19 September 2018 at 11:59:43 #818435

HI,

I am just back from a week in the beautiful Switzerland. I was quite anxious before the trip as this was my first time travelling alone. There is absolutely no need to fret as everything is precise in Switzerland.

First of all, I would like to thank this website/ forum and all contributors (especially the seniors for all the time they put in to guide the newbies) and a big thanks to Ms. Kim for her elaborate document. Some points (many others have also posted similar updates) :

1. I took a Swiss Half fare card. There were never long lines at the ticket counters and buying tickets for each trip was not a hassle for me. There are machines at all stations, which is quite convenient to buy tickets too.

2. The time to change trains was sometimes as low as 4 mins. However, this time is more than enough to catch the next train (as directions are clearly marked at the stations) with a couple of minutes to spare.

3. The numerous walking/hiking trails are marked perfectly, giving the time to hike plus the level of difficulty (yellow/red etc).

4. Coop supermarket is quite convenient to buy sandwiches or cakes etc. to eat during the walks.

My travel report for the 5 days in Bernese Oberland area (I stayed at Wengen):

1. On day 1, I took the cable car up to Mannlichen and then walked upto Kleine Scheidegg. Went to Harder Kulm post lunch.

2. On day 2, I first went to Schilthorn (as rain was predicted in the afternoon) and then walked from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen. It was quite sunny the whole day.

3. I went to Lake Brienz cruise (heavy rain was predicted today). Drizzled a bit in the evening.

4. I did the walk from Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil. It rained a bit when i started the walk. Did not go to Schynige Platte as it was cloudy.

5. I did the walk from Grustchalp to Murren and went to Allmendhubel later.

I loved all these walks with beautiful scenery around me, with beautiful weather daily. Would definitely plan a visit again soon :-).

Cheers!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2018 at 14:15:28 #896527

Hi wanderdiva,

Thanks for the trip report – sounds like a nice trip! Weather can indeed be tricky in the mountain regions – rain often isn’t as bad as the weather report indicates sometimes!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 22:58:35 #896528

Hi wanderdiva,

Thank you for reporting back on your trip and so glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully it will encourage other single travellers to overcome nervousness about travelling solo.

Maggie

wanderdiva
    Participant
    38 posts
    25 September 2018 at 8:19:46 #896529

Thanks Lucas and maggiehorswell. It indeed was an amazing trip. Can’t wait to go back and try other walks as well.

• The thread ‘Solo traveler 1 week in Switzerland trip report’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.