10-day itinerary from Zurich to Geneva in May

• Madhurkjain
    Participant
    21 posts
    26 August 2022 at 8:25:35 #828185

Hi,

After 2 years lost due to COVID 19 pandemic, there is an urge to finally visit Switzerland in May 2023. Have drafted a revised itinerary as follows:

Day 1: Arrival in Zurich (2 pm) stay with friends

Day 2- Zurich

Day 3 – Zurich

Day 4 – Day trip to Lucerne (1 hour by train) (Mount Pilatus / Titlis) – Onward transfer to Interlaken

Day 5 – Jungfrau (Aletsch Glacier, Ice Palace, Alpine Sensation) via Grindenwald and return via Lauterbrunnen (Trummelbach and Staubbach falls)

Day 6- Explore Murren and Schilthorn OR Lake Thun

Day 7- Zermatt (Gornergrat / Matterhorn / Glacier Paradise)

Day 8- Transfer from Interlaken to Geneva (Golden pass, evening cruise in Lake Geneva)

Day 9- Geneva (Day trip to Vevey, Gruyeres )

Day 10 – Geneva to Zurich via Bern

Day 11- Fly out

Would love your suggestions on changing , finetuning the above based on your experience

Thanks and Regards

Madhur

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    26 August 2022 at 21:17:30 #946066

Hi Madhur,

Your current itinerary is well-planned and definitely doable. I’ve included destination links on your post in case you need further details.

You might want to think about getting a railpass such as the Swiss Travel Pass: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass.

regards,

Anna

Madhurkjain
    Participant
    21 posts
    27 August 2022 at 3:03:50 #946067

Dear Ana

Thanks for your response. A few more queries as follows:

1. Which Swiss rail pass is suitable for my itinerary?

2. I am going to arrive in Zurich from Italy. Any rail pass which covers both the countries?

3. What are affordable places to stay for a family of 4 adults in Interlaken / Lauterbrunnen and Geneva?

4. Is the day 10 (Geneva to Zurich with Bern tour) doable?

Regards

Madhur

Anna
    6362 posts
    27 August 2022 at 7:41:44 #946068

Hi Madhur,

1. Based on your plans in Switzerland, I think the Swiss Travel Pass is a good option. You can find further details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass

2. If you’re coming from Italy, you can find information on tickets and travel here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy. Not sure if you’re also planning to explore Italy. You might want to consider getting a multiple-country railpass such as the Eurail Global Pass instead.

3. There are various accommodation types in the Interlaken region. Apartments or rentals with self-catering facilities are quite popular with group travellers who want to save cost. Perhaps you can start your search here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lauterbrunnen/rentals

4. Day 10 – Yes, Geneva to Zurich with a pit stop in Bern is certainly doable. Be sure to use the timetable to check train schedules.

Regards,

Anna

Madhurkjain
    Participant
    21 posts
    27 August 2022 at 11:17:50 #946069

Thanks Anna

Yes, we shall be reaching Zurich after exploring Italy. I was looking at a 7 day Eurorail pass which will cover my travel from Rome to Florence to Venice to Zurich and then within Switzrland. However, I was surprised to see that despite pass, on some of the faster train connections in Italy you have to pay an additional charge. Am I correct in my interpretation

Regards

Anna
    6362 posts
    27 August 2022 at 12:27:03 #946070

Hi Madhur,

From my experience, yes, you do need to book your seats in advance for train trips in Italy. If you have the Eurail Global Pass, you can usually book these seats online through their main website.

You can find a link to the website here: http://www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass/price

Regards,

Anna

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    28 August 2022 at 3:31:34 #946071

Hi Madhurkjain,

I recently was comparing notes on the validty of the Europe pass as versus the Swiss Travel Pass. It doesn’t seem to cover a lot in Switzerland in so far as boats/trains/mountain excursions, compared to the to the discounts one has with the Swiss Travel Pass. The STP covers pretty much all public transportation, and usually 50% discounts on most mountain excursions (Jungfrau being one of the exceptions-25% off). Just something to be aware of.

As far as hotels/chalets, attached is a website for chalets in the village of Wengen. You can also look on the link provided by Anna, as well as booking.com (or hotels.com, trip advisor, etc) or even look on Google maps. There’s a ton of info on there as well.

I hope you have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

http://www.wengenapartments.com/

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    28 August 2022 at 4:05:14 #946072

Hi Madhur

I will always go for Swiss Travel Pass or Half fare card. I have not used Eurail pass but above passes are winner hands down. In case of Italy trenitalia also has pass but I found to be expensive. If you book tickets in advance they are cheaper. Only drawback is your travel dates and time become fixed. Even otherwise spot train tickets in Italy were cheaper than pass when I was evaluating.

One more suggestion will be whether you want to do so many mountain top excursion. There are few options like day trip to Lugano / Swiss transport museum/ easy hiking in lauterbrunnen valley / thermal spa in leukerabad cheers

• The thread ‘10-day itinerary from Zurich to Geneva in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.