16 day trip Switzerland with 11 days in Jungfrau

• mrsylky
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 June 2016 at 0:28:52 #809459

Originally we had planned 20 days in Switzerland with 5 days Grindelwald and 6 Days Murren. Travel was from Basel to Grindelwald by train, 5 days in Grindelwald with lots of hiking, followed by 6 days Murren, also lots of hiking, a trip to the Jungfrau and Schilthorn. Last 9 days was a flexible itineary and possible car hire.

Because were weren’t sure about our exact plans, it was very hard to work out which was the best pass to get. Info from this website and forums replies suggested the Half fare Card or flexi combo tickets. I initially thought the 15 day Swiss Pass, but we had 20 days travel so wasn’t sure about that. We decided to get the half fare card. The verdict !

The actual trip: Train from Basel to Grindelwald. 11 days in Jungfrau area with multile bus, train, and cable car trips. Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. Train to Lausanne, train trips between Lausanne and Montreux. Train to Geneva. Also a CGN Cruise on Lake Leman. Decided to forget about hiring a car because Swiss trains are just so easy and fantastic to use. Ended up only stayed 16 days.

Full price on all transport totalled $1995. With the half fare card we paid a total of $1363. I calculated what we would have spent for the same travel using various other options.

2 x 15 Day 2nd class Swiss passes totalled $1437

2 x (6 day and 5 Day) Jungfrau pass with full fare for rest of trip $1603

2 x (6 day and 3 day) Jungfrau pass (no pass for arrival day and departure day from Jungfrau) totalled $1354

Same as above but combined with 1/2 Fare cards totalled $1274

Bernese Oberland Pass x 2 with Full fare for the rest totalled $1341

From what I can work out, most of the discount travel options provided us with a similar discount. The Half fare cards are a very good option if your travel plans are varied. The cheapest option was actually getting half fare cards and the buying Jungfrau travel passes for the full days that we had in Grindelwald and Murren.

Overall a fantastic trip, definitely have to return for more hiking.

My only negative comment would be the lack of photo etiquitte shown by some travellers. The Jungfrau is a beautiful part of the world and very photogenic, but when taking photos you also need to consider other people. If you’re taking photos of friends with some of the beautiful vistas as a backdrop, take 2 or 3 photos and then let other people take photos, you really don’t need 30 photos of your friends standing in different poses with the same backdrop. Think, why do I make “V” sings with my fingers when I am having my photo taken, it does look silly, especially so when standing on one leg and tilting at the same time. People on trains don’t like having camera’s stuck beside their heads and countless photo’s taken.

From what I saw, too many people are so engrossed with taking an absurd amount of photos, that they don’t actually sit back, look and actually see the beautiful sights that surround them.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    17 June 2016 at 6:17:22 #853184

Hi mrsylky,

Thanks for getting back to us! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in Switzerland. Like many other travelers you’ve been able to experience the excellent public transportation network, and I fully understand you didn’t feel the need for a car.

Which pass to choose can be quite challenging indeed, as in many cases not all plans are fully set in advance. It’s good to know that, in retrospect, your choice for the Swiss Half Fare Card turned out well. In the end it all depends on the details of one’s schedule. In your case the price difference with other options wasn’t that big, so slight alterations in your journeys might have changed the outcome. This also shows that for your itinerary, as for many others, several passes may work well, with only slight (price) differences. In such cases other preferences, such as nation-wide versus regional coverage and ticketless traveling versus buying additional discounted tickets, may also be of importance. In any case, thanks for sharing your calculations here. That’s for sure helpful for other travelers.

Yes, I understand your point about photo etiquette, especially in crowded places. Catching memories is very important to many tourists, but it’s wise to pay attention to your fellow travelers too, who of course wish to do the same.

• The thread ‘16 day trip Switzerland with 11 days in Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.