2 night Interlaken, 2 nights Zurich in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2019 at 7:23:17 #822314

Hi,

Firstly, I would like to thank this Forum for helping me review my trip, providing guidance and advice and answering my all my queries. I had been to a very short visit to Switzerland from May 24th-28th. I had availed the 4 Days Swiss Travel Pass. I stayed in Interlaken for 2 nights and Zurich for 2 nights.

May 24th – I was in Paris and took the 10:23 am TGV Lyria till Basel on 24th May morning and arrived in Basel around 13:30. I used the Swiss Travel Pass to travel from Basel to Interlaken West. We had booked the Bed & Bar No.8 private room for 6 people. It was a 5-7 min walking distance from the Interlaken West Station. It was clean, convenient and location was amazing. We explored the Interlaken West area and markets rest of the evening.

May 25th – We had planned for Mt. Schilthorn, which was entirely free with the Swiss Travel Pass. We took the early train to Lauterbrunnen. From Lauterbrunnen we took the Cable Car to Grütschalp. Then a train from Grütschalp to Murren. Then walk to the Schilthornbahn, from where there is a Cable Car to Mount Schilthorn with a stop at Birg. We went directly to Mount Schilthorn first and did Birg Cliff Walk on the way back. The return trip was Schilthornbahn to Gimmelwald to Stechelberg. From Stechelberg, we took a bus to Lauterbrunnen Station getting down on the way to visit the Staubbachfalls. The returned to Interlaken. On return, we also checked in 2 of our big bags in Interlaken West Station to be sent to Zurich Station as we planned for Glacier Express the next day and did not want to carry them with us. It was 12 CHF per bag which I thought was quite decent.

May 26th – We took a train from Interlaken West to Brig Station, from where we caught the 10:12am Glacier Express till Chur. The journey was amazing, with beautiful scenery and after Andermatt everything turned white. It was totally worth it, though it was a very long route. Reached Chur at 14:15 and then took a train to Zurich. We stayed at Casa Heinrich which was 1 tram station away from Zurich Station. Thanks to Swiss Pass, we could make multiple trips without worrying about tickets, taking our bags one by one. We explored nearby area rest of the day.

May 27th – We planned for Mt. Titlis. We took a train to Engelberg. There was a huge crowd but the queue moved fast and we were finally on top. The weather was not so favorable as it was cloudy but it was fun. You get down at the Mount Titlis station and can visit the Ice Cave first. Then you can venture out and walk towards the Ice Flyer and Cliff walk. The whole trip from going up/exploring/coming down would take around 3-4 hours. We planned to do Stanserhorn on the way back but it was already late so had to skip. We returned back to Zurich and shopped for chocolates and souvenirs.

May 28th – We had our train to Nuremberg from Zurich Station and we collected our bags from Zurich Station, which we sent from Interlaken, on this day before boarding the train. So we did not have to carry it with us in Zurich.

The trip was amazing and I would surely like to spend more time and do justice to Switzerland next time.

Regards

Vivek

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2019 at 11:59:07 #915393

Hello Vivek,

Thanks a million for sharing this detailed trip report with the forum members and of course also for the beautiful pictures.

I know the feeling of getting in touch with a destination and wanting to explore more deeply the next time..there can always be a next time!

Thanks again and take care.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2019 at 17:05:03 #915394

Hello Vivek,

Thanks for sharing this detailed info.

Please can you provde some more details on the baggage transport you used for Interlaken to Zurick. Is this service available from a pvt. operater or SBB? Also is there a similar service from Zurich to Luzern or Zurich to Interlaken?

How many days do they take to transport and did u face any issues getting your bags?

Also how easy is it to carry baggage on the trains? Glacier express or local zurich to luzern/ interlaken?

Thanks,

Uma

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2019 at 17:58:04 #915395

Hi Uma,

For your luggage queries, kindly refer the link http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age/luggage.html

It has all the info on luggage transport and I guess it is available on most important stations like zurich, luzern, interlaken.

Luggage can be collected 2 days later at destination station. I did not face any issues during luggage transport. I found the Swiss Transportation most efficient and officials at the Station were friendly enough to answer all your queries.

You can carry you baggage on Glacier Express or any inter-city trains easily. They usually have luggage racks at both ends of the compartment where you can store it. Its better you have a baggage tag with Name on yours bags for identification.

Hope I answered all your queries. Let me know if you need any additional details.

Thanks and Regards

Vivek

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2019 at 8:11:05 #915396

Thanks Vivek

Annika
    7121 posts
    15 September 2019 at 10:00:44 #915397

Hi Uma! In addition to Vivek’s answer, this page might be useful too: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2019 at 17:28:16 #915398

Thanks !!!

Samir_dutta
    Participant
    58 posts
    11 December 2019 at 17:26:58 #915399

Dear Vivek

This is Samir from India.

We are also going during mid may 2020. Initially I thought of this plan but I have noticed that from Interlaken west to Brig, will reach at 10.11 am and glacier express will leave at 10.12 am, hence I thought that it would be difficult to catch since we have 3 kids with luggage but after reading your blog, am now mulling over this option. It would be great if you could guide me. Do I need to change the platform with lot of walk? Is this a connected train?

Regards, Samir

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2019 at 19:15:02 #915400

Hi Samir,

I think 10.11am train would be too tight with 3 children. We were staying pretty near to the Interlaken West Station and caught the 8.05 am train from Interlaken which reached Brig at 9.11am. We did see the earlier Glacier Express train, which left at 9.12 am but still its too tight. The platform is kind of outside the station, middle of the street. Better to reach early and wait. May be have breakfast while you wait for the train.

Regards

Vivek

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2019 at 19:47:49 #915401

Hi Samir,

have you checked the route from Interlaken to St Moritz via Brig in the timetable? The timetable only suggests doable connections. The connecting train may even wait for delayed arriving trains. Learn more at http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable under “Tight connection times”.

According to the timetable I can see a train leaving Interlaken West at 9:11, arriving in Brig via Spiez at 10:11. Glacier Express leaves Brig at 10:18. This seems doable for me.

See also:

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 December 2019 at 20:02:07 #915402

Hello Samir,

Consider Interlaken West to Brig via Kandersteg. You will then travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route Spiez to Brig via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B6tschberg_railway_line.

You would need to depart either 7:33 or 8:35am to make the 10:18 or 11:18 GEX.

I recommend using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables, finding fares* and buying tickets on-line if required. In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B).

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections. You can also easily filter modes of transport (eg bus or ship).

The app will always show the fastest, most direct routes unless you tell it you want to go a longer way round by including other stations to go VIA. For example, if you wanted to follow the Golden Pass route you would need to search the SBB app looking for Luzern to Montreux via Interlaken and Zweisimmen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2019 at 20:02:36 #915403

Ah Yes.

Ildiko is right. The train arrives at Brig at 10.12 am but leaves at 10.18 am. In that case, its doable.

Regards

Vivek

• The thread ‘2 night Interlaken, 2 nights Zurich in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.