Full tickets or a pass for 3 days in Lauterbrunnen

• TMtravel
    Participant
    7 posts
    17 July 2019 at 5:15:43 #822901

I posted 6/19 requesting guidance on travel passes and received advice to download the spreadsheet and figure out the best investment. SINCE THEN, we had a sad, unexpected death in my family. My time has understandably been devoted elsewhere, with no free time to trip plan or study best fares.

After much discussion, we (2 adults) have decided to continue with our long-awaited travel plans, and will depart in a few weeks. Fortunately, I’d pre-arranged some things. I need help with the best transportation purchase for our 3-days in BO region. We will not be traveling anywhere else in Switzerland. Here are the details:

Arrive in Interlaken from Paris (those train tickets are purchased). We’re lodging in Lauterbrunnen, so once we arrive at Interlaken station, I’ll buy a 1-way train ticket from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen. That will be only other travel needed on arrival day (Wed), so 1-way ticket seems best.

We have 3 full days in BO region to hike and explore (Thurs thru Sat). Depending on weather, we’ll need multiple trains, cable cars, funiculars, PostBus, etc. to access hiking trails in the area. Possible needs include Schilthorn cable car, Grütschalp cable car, Mürren train, Allmendhubel funicular, Wengen train, Männlichen lift, lift at Gimmelwald to Schilthornbahn station near Stechelberg, PostBus to Trümmelbach Falls, Grindelwald area, etc. We will NOT be traveling to Junfraujoch.

What is the best travel pass to purchase for these 3-days of travel??

Is it best to pay individual transport fees as needed, since weather will affect our hiking?

The BO Regional pass covers all but Schilthorn (Schilthorn at 50%) and would be convenient, but it seems pricey – (420CHF for 2 adults for 3 days)

Some have suggested purchasing Swiss Half Fare card and then pay balance, but fares are not really “half”, so that seems questionable.

(Our departure is Sunday. One-way ticket Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost again seems best choice, as Interlaken to Paris ticket is purchased.)

My apologies for reposting, but I have MANY family commitments before our departure and could use help. Your guidance regarding the best travel pass purchase for our 3 days around Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Wengen would alleviate an added stress. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 July 2019 at 8:04:56 #918049

Hi TMtravel,

My condolences for your loss. Hopefully the trip will be a cheerful event after sad times. Regarding the pass question: it’s possible that buying tickets as you go will be the cheapest option for 3 days only, if you will only visit one mountain peak and do very short trips otherwise. If you buy the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland you’d better use its full potential. If you’re not sure yet, the Swiss Half Fare Card is not a bad bet, especially if you are going to explore the Bernese Oberland region, so trips beyond Interlaken as well. You listed only trips in the Jungfrau region though, which is a small part of it. You will need to spend CHF 240 on full tickets to save with the CHF 120 Swiss Half Fare Card. If it’s likely to be less, then don’t buy it.

You can compare here:

I would buy the Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen ticket online, especially if you have a tight connection in Interlaken. That way you don’t have to wait for half an hour after missing the first train. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland /price or http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare/price (if you will have a Swiss Half Fare Card).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2019 at 14:33:18 #918050

Did you look into the Jungfrau Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass) combined with a Swiss half (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard) card? This combination calculated to work for using Wengen as our base.

TMtravel
    Participant
    7 posts
    18 July 2019 at 21:22:37 #918051

Thank you, Arno & Craig E for your thoughts. I will look into the Jungfrau Pass and will go ahead and book Int – Lauterbrunnen tickets per your advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2019 at 22:27:17 #918052

TMtravel

I was in Lauterbrunnen few days back and had visited all the places you have mentioned. Before buying rail passes, I had compared the total cost of all these trips with SHC vs BO pass. So here’s my calculations which may help u decide which pass is best for u

With Swiss half card, all the places mentioned in your post will cost you appx 75F plus Lauterbrummes-Schilthorn is 57F for a round trip. As you have mentioned Männlichen lift, I assume you may return from Klein Scheidegg to lauterbrunnen whose 15F is included in my estimate. Abt 6-7 short bus rides in L’brunnen valley and a trip to Interlaken (abt 8F return fare) is also included in this estimate. Add to this SHC card cost to get an idea of total amount you will pay.

3 day BO pass will cost u 210 + 41F from Murren to Schilthorn ( Till Murren it’s free). All the other places u want to visit including bus rides, mountain trips-all are free with BO pass

Addotionally, if you decide to change or add any other place in this region due to weather or extra time on hand, it will cost u additional money with SHC but most will be free with BO pass ( few examples are : lake Thun/ Brienz boat ride, Harder Kulm in Interlaken, Schynige Platte, Brienzer Rothorn etc) A day trip to Berm or Lucerne can also be done free with BO pass.

So I suggest you do your cost calculations n compare both the passes. If difference is not much, it’s better to buy BO pass as it gives lot more flexibility and saves you from the hassle of buying tix before each trip

I also strongly suggest you to download SBB app. It helped me a lot to plan my trips

sorry for a long post, but since your places of interest are similar to what I visited recently, I thought to share my experience. Hope this helps you

TMtravel
    Participant
    7 posts
    19 July 2019 at 23:20:51 #918053

Thank you so much. Really appreciate your input!

• The thread ‘Full tickets or a pass for 3 days in Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.