First time travel by car itinerary advice

• BenedictCCN
    Participant
    14 posts
    12 April 2017 at 4:13:10 #811375

I will have my first time travelling by car in Switzerland from 28 Apr to 5 May 2017. I will follow mostly the routing recommended by myswitzerland.com – Grandtour of Switzerland. Following is my brief itinerary:

Day 1: Zurich – Appenzell

Day 2: Appenzell – Maienfeld – St. Moritz – Bellinzona

Day 3: Bellinzona – Andermatt – Montreux

Day 4: Montreux – Geneva

Day 5: Geneva – Lausanne – Fribourg – Bern

day 6: Bern – Interlaken – Jungfraujoch – Interlaken

Day 7: Interlaken – Luzern

Day 8: Luzern – Zurich – Hong Kong

Do we need to get on the car train on part of our trip ? Any “must see” attractions on my planned route? Any advice on driving in Switzerland?

Many Thanks.

Regards,

Benedict

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2017 at 10:41:42 #861400

I think MySwitzerland has detailed highlights of what will be on your route that you can check out here.

You can read through our detailed pages on most of the towns you will be visiting here – it will show you a list of recommended activities in each area.

You won’t have a lot of time to see the areas you drive though as you stay only one night per town. The big attractions that stick out in my mind are: Rochers-de-Naye and the cheese and chocolate factories near Montreux and Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Titlis near Luzern.

Be sure to read through our page on traveling by car in Switzerland as well.

Best regards,
    Lucas

BenedictCCN
    Participant
    14 posts
    12 April 2017 at 14:59:42 #861401

Thanks for your reply, Lucas!

BenedictCCN
    Participant
    14 posts
    23 April 2017 at 8:26:00 #861402

Dear Lucas,

I would like to know if We can drive from Maienfeld to St. Moritz through Davos and Zernez. Google map claimed that this route may be closed on some period. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 9:33:42 #861403

Yes, it is possible to be closed in early May. You can use a car transporter (on a train) to get under the mountains as another option: https://www.rhb.ch/en/ car-transporter

Have a look here for traffic information, car-trains, and mountain pass information.

Lucas

BenedictCCN
    Participant
    14 posts
    25 April 2017 at 4:30:00 #861404

Dear Lucas,

Would you suggest me to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card for my trip? Can I get a 50% discount buying train tickets to Jungfraujoch or Titlis? Can I get 50% discount on car transporter? Can I buy the Swiss Half Fare Card directly in the airport upon arrival or reserve it on web site and get it in the airport? Thanks for your reply!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 7:55:49 #861405

Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card is a very good option for tourists traveling by car.
    You get 50% off all trains – see here for details.

You can buy it online and emailed to you for printing (easiest option). Or you can go to an office to buy the ticket when you are in Switzerland.

Lucas

• The thread ‘First time travel by car itinerary advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.