First time travel by car itinerary advice

First time travel by car itinerary advice

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
BenedictCCN
BenedictCCN
14 posts
Apr 12, 2017 - 4:13 AM

I will have my first time travelling by car in Switzerland from 28 Apr to 5 May 2017. I will follow mostly the routing recommended by myswitzerland.com - Grandtour of Switzerland. Following is my brief itinerary:

Day 1: Zurich - Appenzell

Day 2: Appenzell - Maienfeld - St. Moritz - Bellinzona

Day 3: Bellinzona - Andermatt - Montreux

Day 4: Montreux - Geneva

Day 5: Geneva - Lausanne - Fribourg - Bern

day 6: Bern - Interlaken - Jungfraujoch - Interlaken

Day 7: Interlaken - Luzern

Day 8: Luzern - Zurich - Hong Kong

Do we need to get on the car train on part of our trip ? Any "must see" attractions on my planned route? Any advice on driving in Switzerland?

Many Thanks.

Regards,

Benedict

Lucas
Lucas
3376 posts
expert &
Apr 12, 2017 - 10:41 AM in reply to BenedictCCN

I think MySwitzerland has detailed highlights of what will be on your route that you can check out here.

You can read through our detailed pages on most of the towns you will be visiting here - it will show you a list of recommended activities in each area.

You won't have a lot of time to see the areas you drive though as you stay only one night per town. The big attractions that stick out in my mind are: Rochers-de-Naye and the cheese and chocolate factoriesnear Montreux and Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Titlis near Luzern.

Be sure to read through our page on traveling by car in Switzerland as well.

Best regards,
Lucas

Last modified on Apr 12, 2017 - 5:36 PM by Lucas
BenedictCCN
BenedictCCN
14 posts
Apr 12, 2017 - 2:59 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks for your reply, Lucas!

BenedictCCN
BenedictCCN
14 posts
Apr 23, 2017 - 8:26 AM in reply to Lucas

Dear Lucas,

I would like to know if We can drive from Maienfeld to St. Moritz through Davos and Zernez. Google map claimed that this route may be closed on some period. Thank you.

Lucas
Lucas
3376 posts
expert &
Apr 23, 2017 - 9:33 AM in reply to BenedictCCN

Yes, it is possible to be closed in early May. You can use a car transporter (on a train) to get under the mountains as another option: https://www.rhb.ch/en/ car-transporter

Have a look here for traffic information, car-trains, and mountain pass information.

Lucas

BenedictCCN
BenedictCCN
14 posts
Apr 25, 2017 - 4:30 AM in reply to Lucas

Dear Lucas,

Would you suggest me to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card for my trip? Can I get a 50% discount buying train tickets to Jungfraujoch or Titlis? Can I get 50% discount on car transporter? Can I buy the Swiss Half Fare Card directly in the airport upon arrival or reserve it on web site and get it in the airport? Thanks for your reply!

Lucas
Lucas
3376 posts
expert &
Apr 25, 2017 - 7:55 AM in reply to BenedictCCN

Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card is a very good option for tourists traveling by car.
You get 50% off all trains - see here for details.

You can buy it online and emailed to you for printing (easiest option). Or you can go to an office to buy the ticket when you are in Switzerland.

Lucas

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017