Jan 9, 2015 - 3:32 AM
I had previously posted with our initial itinerary and appreciate the help. I am looking for your suggestions with the revised itinerary below and the questions following that:
Day 1: From Paris, we will be arriving via train to Interlaken. Stroll around interlaken. Maybe visit Lake Thun
Day 2: Visit Schilthorn
Day 3: Go to Lucerne via golden pass, visit transportation museum and Mt. Rigi,
Day 4: Go to Berne
Day 5: Visit Thun or hike in the valley or visit a castle
Day 6: Leave early in the morning to Brig to catch the direct train to Venice
We are 2 adults and 2 kids (7yrs & 2 yrs) traveling in the first week of April. Our kids have not experienced snow at all. We are hoping to see one or two museums, take a kid friendly short hike in the valley and visit a castle. We want to modify the itinerary further based on your suggestions/advice for the following Qs. Also this is our first trip to Europe.
1. Is Interlaken a good base for our above itinerary.? We looked online and found hotel Rosseli with availability which is in Interlaken west. Not sure if that is a good choice. We are open to suggestions. We are looking for triple or quadruple rooms.
2. We want to visit a castle. Can you please suggest one in the Oberland area. If not, should we go on Day 5 to Montreux and visit Chillon castle and take the direct train to Venice from Montreux the next day.
3. Can you suggest a scenic kid friendly hiking spot in the interlaken area which is probably not covered totally in snow. Is there any waterfall in the area which might be open during the first week of April?
4. Can you suggest one or two museums preferably covered by our swiss travel pass suitable for kids?
5. What is the best way to reach Rigi without overwhelming the children.?
6. Regarding swiss flex travel pass, will it make sense to buy for 4 days to cover from day 2-5 and buy tickets directly for the other two days.or should we buy swiss travel card ? Also is there a site which has e-ticket options (printable at home)
7. On sbb.ch, while looking for tickets, I noticed there is an option to select reduction/discounts. What should we choose if we have swiss flexi travel pass? GA? I didn't see swiss travel pass there.. Can we buy tgv tickets from paris and the train to Venice on sbb.ch or is there a better option.
8. Can we use euros or should we get swiss francs? We are thinking of using the ATM in paris to withdraw some euros.I guess we can do the same in Interlaken area too?
9. One major concern we have is that we will be there during good friday and easter. Will establishments (for sightseeing or eating) be open?
I apologize for a lot of Qs. I appreciate your help!