Hut-to-hut itinerary help: Bernese Oberland

• Hike_n_Ski
    Participant
    5 posts
    26 December 2021 at 5:39:40 #826368

Hello!

I hope you are all having a lovely Holiday Season!

I am looking for some helping building a good itinerary for a 14-21 day visit to the Alps. My Fiancé (soon to be wife!) and I will be spending our honeymoon in Europe, starting in Grimmelwald (at the pension hotel) and we would like to transition immediately to a hut-to-hut hiking trip. Our trip will span Europe over 8 weeks, and the first 2-3 weeks will be in Switzerland. I only mention this so you understand we are not picking about traveling an extra day to reach something spectacular!

Here is where you come in! I feel like i have enough information from reading this forum to build a reasonable itinerary and then book accommodations at the correct huts/villages. However, I have not been able to figure out what sections of which trails would be best to attempt. Please critique my sample itinerary below and let me know if you think there is a better idea for our trek. i am especially interested if you think we should hop on a train and do a completely different trail!

Our Background

• Live in Los Angeles, CA.
    • Extensive hiking, backpacking, and planning experience.
    • 4-5 day self-planned, self-supported trips in the Alaskan wilderness (summer/fall) including glacier travel, snow field descents, & river crossings.
    • Many standard single-night or multi-night backpacking trips through the mountains of california and arizona.
    • Extensive international travel, very used to hostel accommodations and being flexible with unexpected happenings.

What we are looking for:

• Spending majority of time in the mountains, minimal travel into towns with cars/tourists.
    • Hiking 8-16km per day or 5-6hrs. Prefer to spend more time enjoying the scenery than marching! However, we are fit and prepared to hike much further on some days if it’s necessary for any reason.
    • carry almost nothing! Want to stay in huts and purchase breakfast and dinner (and bag lunch if possible).
    • ideally our route would depart on foot from Grimmelwald since we are already there, but we are not opposed to traveling farther away to start a better route.

Fixed itinerary

• Jul 10 Fly to Zurich (land jul 11)
    • Jul 11 Travel to Interlaken
    • Jul 12 Travel to Grimmelwald
    • Jul 12-20 Stay in Grimmelwald, explore area with day hikes.
    • Jul 20-Aug 03 Hut-to-Hut trip (end date flexible, but want to see more of europe!

Sample itinerary 1, Green Trail, Sections 11-14 Grimmelwald => Lenk (~45km)

• benefits: beautiful part of the bernese oberland (according to your recommendations!), walking start from grimmelwald
    • not as good: only 3-6 days of hiking

Sample itinerary 2, Green trail, sections 11-1, grimmelwald ==> ??

• benefits: walking start from grimmelwald, as many days of hiking as we want!
    • not as good: perhaps not as beautiful as the other direction? This is where i need your help!
  • The thread ‘Hut-to-hut itinerary help: Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.