Is a Swiss Travel Pass best for my itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 7:16:08 #814074

Hi everyone,

Need some advice here. Planning my honeymoon trip to Switzerland and not sure if the Swiss Travel Pass is right for my itinerary:

Day 1- Depart from Zurich Airport to Lucerne, explore Lucerne

Day 2 – Explore Lucerne

Day 3 – Day Trip to Mt Rigi from Lucerne

Day 4 – Day trip to Mt Titlis from Lucerne

Day 5 – Depart from Lucerne to Zurich, explore Zurich

Day 6 – Day trip to Litchensein from Zurich

Day 7 – Day trip to Stein am Rhein/ Rhine Falls from Zurich

Day 8 – Shopping in Zurich, depart for Zurich Airport

1. If I only want to buy a 4-day continuous Swiss Travel Pass, is it worth it to use for Day 3 to Day 6? 2. Should i buy a Zurich Day Pass for Day 7?

3.Or should i plan more places to go during the 4 day Swiss Pass travels?

4. Is it too tiring to climb two mountains on consecutive days?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2018 at 16:35:16 #874588

Hi bibianni and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, it looks like days 3,4,5 & 6 would be the most expensive and best use of the Swiss Travel Pass.
    You could also look at the Swiss Half Fare Card which gets you 50% off all trips. You can compare ticket prices to different rail passes on our web page here: How to choose the best rail pass.

Are you actually planning on climbing both mountains? It isn’t tiring to take the train or cable car up the mountains. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 5:27:03 #874589

Hi Lucas

Thanks for the response! Slight changes to my itinerary:

Day 1- Depart from Zurich Airport to Lucerne, explore Lucerne

Day 2 – Day Trip to Mt Rigi from Lucerne

Day 3 – Day trip to Mt Titlis from Lucerne

Day 4 – Day trip to Interlaken/ Jungfraujoch from Lucerne

Day 5 – Depart from Lucerne to Zurich, explore Zurich + half day trip to Litchensien

Day 6 – Day trip to Stein am Rhein/ Rhine Falls from Zurich

Day 7 – Explore Zurich

Day 8 – Shopping in Zurich, depart for Zurich Airport

I just read about Swiss Tell Pass. I am travelling in mid-April and would like to ask:

Does a 5 Day Swiss Tell Pass work better for Day 1 to 5 or Day 2 to 6 (compared to a 4 Day Swiss Travel Pass)?

Does the Swiss Tell Pass cover return trips down the mountains? Since we need to observe the weather conditions, does it mean we can just travel to the mountains on the actual day without reserving seats for the trains/cable cars?

Is it better to travel to Interlaken/Jungfraujoch via Lucerne or Zurich?

Will a Zurich Day Pass be cheaper for travelling for Day 7 and 8 (and to airport) compared to buying individual train/train/bus tickets?

Sorry for so many questions!

By the way, I wont be “climbing” up the mountains, haha – should have used the term “visit”. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 6:46:27 #874590

Hi bibianni,

Well the Swiss Tell Pass won’t cover day 6 at all so the best use of it would be Days 1-5 (though it won’t cover the first 1/2 of the trip on Day 1). See a coverage map of the Tell Pass here.

The Swiss Travel Pass will cover everything on your trip (if you were to get the 8 day pass). Except between the towns of either Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch (you get 25% off the ticket price). It will get you to Liechtenstein as well (train to Buchs and then a bus to Vaduz).

You don’t need to make reservations for any of your planned trips no.
    It takes about the same time to Jungfraujoch from Zurich or Luzern – use the timetable to make your plans.

The Zurich day pass could be cheaper but it depends on how much you use the transport system there. With all rail passes, the more you use them the more cost effective they become.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 January 2018 at 6:55:25 #874591

Hi Lucas,

. . . and Titlis not fully covered (50% off Cable Car) by STP.

Just as a matter of interest bibianni, what’s the attraction of Liechtenstein? I’m just curious.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 7:02:08 #874592

Oh yes, thanks!

bibianni be sure to read through the “where its valid” page on the Swiss Travel Pass here to see everything that is covered or partially covered!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 8:12:40 #874593

Hi Lucas

So glad to hear from you!

In summary, correct me if I am wrong, I can effectively plan my travel costs as

Day 1 to 5 – Buy train ticket (Zurich Airport to Lucerne) + Swiss Tell Pass

Just to confirm, the Swiss Tell Pass covers the journey to Interlaken AND Jungfraujoch completely (including cable ride up and down the mountain)

Day 6 to 8 – To consider 3 Day Swiss travel pass, Swiss Half Fare Card or Zurich Day Pass (depends on my how much I use the transport system) – alternative is to buy individual tickets for train/tram/bus/boat?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 8:13:21 #874594

Hi Rockoyster

To answer your question on Liechtenstein – well, we decided on it by browsing blogs and seeing the pretty photos…we may change our mind still, haha.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 January 2018 at 8:41:37 #874595

Hi bibianni,

When you say Swiss Tell Pass do you mean Tell Pass or Swiss Travel Pass?

Tell Pass does not cover Jungfraujoch at all. It does not cover beyond Interlaken. With Tell Pass you only need Ticket Zurich Airport to Zug.

Swiss Travel Pass gets you to Wengen for free and 25% off Jungfraujoch from there as Lucas explained.

Zurich to Vaduz is. 3 hour round trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 18:30:02 #874596

So Day 1 you need a ticket to get you to Zug. From there a Tell Pass covers the rest of the trip to Luzern.

The Tell Pass will cover you from Luzern to Interlaken. Then you would need to buy a full price ticket to Jungfraujoch and regular tickets for for all further trips.

My thought is to get an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass only. It covers all trips you plan to make (except Mt. Titlis (50% off) and that last bit of the train between Wengen/Grindelwald and Jungfraujoch (25% off).

• The thread ‘Is a Swiss Travel Pass best for my itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.