Lucerne in Mid November 2021 – itinerary advice

• Europetrip21
    Participant
    4 posts
    18 October 2021 at 6:36:36 #826191

Good day

My friend and I will be visiting Lucern from 16 to 20 November (4 nights/ 3 full days). We are planning to visit one or two of the nearby mountains (Pilatus, Rigi, Titlis or Stanserhorn) on the days when the weather permits.

1- can you please advise if we can reach these mountains during our stay (I’m a bit confused with the closure timetable as there are different route options to reach them)

2- other options if the weather was nice: – catch the train from Lucerne to Interlaken and go to Lauterbrunnen or Murren (as we really wanted to visit that area but changed our plans as we were advised it’s not a good time to visit)

– Or go to Bürgenstock hotel for a spa day and spend time in their infinity pool.

2- Tell pass seems to be the best plan for these mountains, can you please advise if we need to purchase this card before travelling to Switzerland or we can get it from the tourism office or train station upon arrival? Plus does it cover all these return trips?

3- I have applied to convert my foreign Swiss certificate on the canton of lucern website, can you please advise if the issued certificate will be valid in all these areas?

Thank you very much for your advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 October 2021 at 8:58:03 #936931

Hi Europetrip21,

1. You can visit Pilatus, Rigi and Titlis all year round but not all routes are operational all season.

• Titlis – cable car from Titlis base station in Engelberg is accessible all year
    • Rigi – cogwheel train from Arth-Goldau is operational all year
    • Pilatus – cogwheel train from Alpnachstad operates until 14 Nov. After this, access to the top is via the cable car and gondola from Kriens
    • Stanserhorn – open until Nov 14

2. Any time is a good time to visit the Jungfrau region, but especially when the weather is nice. Lauterbrunnen and Mürren are both lovely Swiss destinations offering various sightseeing options in different seasons. But yes, Bürgenstock has wonderful spa facilities and is probably a closer alternative from Lucerne.

3. Based on your plans, the Tell Pass Winter probably works best for you. This is a regional pass for Central Switzerland. You can download the validity map here. The pass covers all the destinations you mentioned including journey to Interlaken, but not Lauterbrunnen and Murren. You will have to pay extra for train tickets to Lauterbrunnen and Murren. In this case, you have the options of combining the Tell Pass with the Saver Day Pass or Supersaver tickets, which are basically discounted point-to-point tickets available only online when you book in advance. More details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

4. The Swiss Covid certificate issued by each canton is valid nationwide.

Feel free to post again if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Lucerne in Mid November 2021 – itinerary advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.