Lucerne for 3 nights in September – best plans?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 10:27:19 #813059

Hello,

I am visiting Lucerne on September 20 for 3nights with my mom and dad (age 64 and 68).

What all things can i plan for these 3 days.

Is there possibility to see snow over the mountains during that period. I saw the current view of Titlis the live web-cam, sadly there is no snow for now due to summer.

Please advise.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 11:48:30 #868859

HI kuldeepbh and welcome back on to the forum!

Yes, certainly there can be snow on Mt. Titlis really at any time of the year. I would your chances are 50/50 in mid to late September. Maybe actually better than that!

For a list of ideas of what to do in and around Luzern have a look at our Luzern activity page here.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 12:23:15 #868860

Thanks Lucas,

I’ll plan something around the city on the arrival day and then Mt Pilatus and Mt Titlis on 2nd and 3rd day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 9:56:49 #868861

Hello Lucas,

One query more 🙂

I will plan one day for Titlis and one day for Jungfrau top of EU peak.

If i get the Swiss travel pass for all three of us, will the journey for all these two days (Titlis and Jungfrau top of Europe) be covered with the pass and I do not need to get any extra tickets ?

I am little confused with this pass purchase.

Thanks for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 13:23:39 #868862

The Swiss Travel Pass doesn’t fully cover either trip unfortunately.

The trip to Mt. Titlis is 50% off (from Engelberg, getting to Engelberg would be fully covered). The trip to Jungfraujoch is fully covered until you get to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald (depending on the route you take) and then you must buy a ticket for the rest of the trip up (at 25% off).

You can read our page on where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid (fully or partially) here we list the main attractions there as well as a PDF map for train routes etc.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 14:44:37 #868863

Thanks Lucas, the map was helpful.

Have a good day 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 19:10:44 #868864

I was in Lucerne for 5 days till last week. Thanks to this wonderful forum for providing tips, which made it memorable.

Be aware that Jungfrau is a long way off from Lucerne, you should plan for at least a 4 hour trip one way (excluding spending time at the top). I had bought a 5 day Tell Pass, which covered each & every attraction in Central Lucerne (Titlis, Pilatus, Rigi among other things). If you are planning to be in Lucerne, worth taking a look at the Tell Pass (myswissalps.com/tellpa ss), think it is 210 per person for a 3 day pass. You can do the math for the individual ticket prices as well & choose the best option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 6:50:24 #868865

Thanks Lucas and Riyer,

I have planned things in the following way –

Day1 – Arriving at Lucerne (monuments around)

Day2 – Lucerne – Engelberg – Titlis and back (depart at morning 9am)

Day 3 – Lucerne – Jungfrau (depart 8am) and back (depart 5pm)

Day 4 – Lucerne City and then back home

I did some math with the tellpass and the swiss half fare card for three people:

With the tell pass, Day 2 will be free but it have to pay at full for the the Jungfrau visit (till Interlaken is free) which is 211~ per person (for three it will be 633~). So Day 1 and Day 2 with the tell pass will cost me 540 (tellpass) and 633 (jungfrau) = 1173

With the Swiss HF card (120*3 = 360), Day 2 will be 196 for Titlis and Day 3 for Jungfrau 415 which totals around 972.

I think the Swiss HF card will be a good option.

I am choosing Jungfrau because the route from Lucerne to Interlaken seems scenic and going the top or Europe spot is worth a shot. While coming back I would also take the Golden Pass route and relax in the train.

Please let me know if i have some wrong assumptions with the ticket. I checked them on http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 9:10:23 #868866

Hi KuldeepB,

I just have a quick comment on Day 3:

You aren’t giving yourself much time at the top of the Jungfraujoch. If you leave around 8am from Luzern you won’t arrive until 12 noon and then have to leave at 1pm. That is if you take direct routes – you can use the timetable here.

If you were to take the full Golden Pass route you end the day in Montreux and then you still have to get back to Luzern. The trip between Luzern and Interlaken is part of the Golden Pass route though so maybe just leave it at that, Montreux is quite out of the way that day.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 9:32:00 #868867

Hello Lucas,

Day 3, I will plan to leave early before 8am, thanks for your suggestion.

I will try to spend around 4 hours over the top and then depart from there around 17.

For the Golden Pass route, i am planning to take the train which is at dep. 20:04

So the plan for Day 3:

Lucerne dep. 07:05 (golden pass seat booking Lucerne to Interlanken OST)

Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch reaching at 11.05

Spend time at Jungfraujoch

Jungfraujoch dep 17.43 – Kleine Scheidegg – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken Ost

Interlaken Ost dep 20:04 to Lucerne reaching at 21.55 (golden pass seat booking from Interlaken OST to Lucerne)

Please let me know if this looks ok, i will proceed with the booking today itself.

There is one more doubt i have, while booking on http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying I can select the half-fare card but it does not ask me any details about it. Do i have to show it during my travel only?

Does the booking site give printout of tickets and are they valid to travel with or I have to exchange them for physical ones.

Thanks again for your help 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 August 2017 at 10:00:22 #868868

Hi KuldeepP,

You are not required to buy tickets in advance, but if you do buy them online you will get the actual ticket to print, not a voucher. They won’t ask for details indeed. It is up to you to show both the ticket and the Swiss Half Fare Card on request.

The Swiss Half Fare Card itself can be printed at home too: go to the SBB tourist pass webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and click to the card. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the card within 1-3 business days, but often within hours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 10:07:33 #868869

Thank you Arno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 10:51:36 #868870

Ah ok, you don’t mean the entire Golden Pass route to Montreux – just between Luzern and Interlaken which won’t be a problem.

If the schedule/timing works for you then by all means go for it. As Arno mentioned I wouldn’t worry about buying the tickets in advance, but of course you can with his link.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 10:53:01 #868871

Perfect, Thanks all of you 🙂

• The thread ‘Lucerne for 3 nights in September – best plans?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.