From Lucerne to Zurich by panoramic train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 December 2017 at 18:44:52 #813870

Hello,

I will be soon visiting Switzerland and will be having base at Lucerne. From Lucerne my next base will be at Zurich and from Zurich I will be catching train for back to Germany. I would like to know that from Lucerne to Zurich which panaromic train I can take.

Thank You.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 December 2017 at 21:05:54 #873211

Lucerne is only about 1 hour by regular train from Zurich. If you want to take a Panoramic train you could go from Lucerne to Andermatt and pick up the Glacier Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) to Chur and then regular train to Zurich. But that will take you 6h 35m. See attached route.

A shorter, just under 4 hour scenic route is to go via Interlaken and Bern. No Panoramic trains on this route though. See second attachment.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 December 2017 at 0:07:58 #873212

Looking back at your earlier thread, travelworld, I see that you may have already done the Lucerne to Interlaken leg of the Golden Pass Line so my second alternative above may be doubling up on where you have already been.

Reservations are mandatory on the Glacier Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 December 2017 at 0:29:18 #873213

As rockoyster has mentioned, none of the classic panoramic routes are found between Luzern and Zürich.

Here is a map that will show you where the panoramic routes are. The Wilhelm Tell Express is now called the Gotthard Panorama Express.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/de/pdf/bahnhof-services/am-bahnhof/infra_services -uebersicht-karten-uebersicht-sts-panorama-de.pdf

If you have the time, I would highly recommend the Glacier Express route mentioned by rockoyster. I have attached a map showing that route.

Should you not have enough time to do that, my favourite route would be via Arth-Goldau. The highlight of that trip for me is the stretch along the Zugersee (Lake Zug). The train travels high along a hillside on the eastern side of the Zugersee, and you have scenic views down to to the lake, lakeside villages, and the mountains (including the Rigi) on the other side of the lake. Sit on the left. I have attached a map of this route too, which takes less than an hour-and-a-half. To get this route in the timetable, use “Via Arth-Goldau” in your timetable search.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘From Lucerne to Zurich by panoramic train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.