From Lucerne to Zurich by panoramic train

From Lucerne to Zurich by panoramic train

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
travelworld
travelworld
4 posts
Dec 25, 2017 - 6:44 PM

Hello,

I will be soon visiting Switzerland and will be having base at Lucerne. From Lucerne my next base will be at Zurich and from Zurich I will be catching train for back to Germany. I would like to know that from Lucerne to Zurich which panaromic train I can take.

Thank You.

rockoyster
rockoyster
1280 posts
top member
Dec 25, 2017 - 9:05 PM in reply to travelworld

Lucerne is only about 1 hour by regular train from Zurich. If you want to take a Panoramic train you could go from Lucerne to Andermatt and pick up the Glacier Express (www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) to Chur and then regular train to Zurich. But that will take you 6h 35m. See attached route.

A shorter, just under 4 hour scenic route is to go via Interlaken and Bern. No Panoramic trains on this route though. See second attachment.

Please login to see the attached documents
rockoyster
rockoyster
1280 posts
top member
Dec 26, 2017 - 12:07 AM in reply to travelworld

Looking back at your earlier thread, travelworld, I see that you may have already done the Lucerne to Interlaken leg of the Golden Pass Line so my second alternative above may be doubling up on where you have already been.

Reservations are mandatory on the Glacier Express.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1378 posts
top member
Dec 26, 2017 - 12:29 AM in reply to travelworld

As rockoyster has mentioned, none of the classic panoramic routes are found between Luzern and Zürich.

Here is a map that will show you where the panoramic routes are. The Wilhelm Tell Express is now called the Gotthard Panorama Express.

www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/de/pdf/bahnhof-services/am-bahnhof/infra_services -uebersicht-karten-uebersicht-sts-panorama-de.pdf

If you have the time, I would highly recommend the Glacier Express route mentioned by rockoyster. I have attached a map showing that route.

Should you not have enough time to do that, my favourite route would be via Arth-Goldau. The highlight of that trip for me is the stretch along the Zugersee (Lake Zug). The train travels high along a hillside on the eastern side of the Zugersee, and you have scenic views down to to the lake, lakeside villages, and the mountains (including the Rigi) on the other side of the lake. Sit on the left. I have attached a map of this route too, which takes less than an hour-and-a-half. To get this route in the timetable, use "Via Arth-Goldau" in your timetable search.

Alpenrose

Please login to see the attached documents

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018