Lyon to Lucerne and more – which rail pass

• Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    11 February 2018 at 23:16:47 #814336

Hi we are travelling on the 19th May from Lyon to Lucerne. We will also be doing a return day trip to Lauterbrunnen.

The next day we will be taking the ferry to Fruelen then taking the normal train from Fruelen to Chur.

With these trips, would we be better off getting off in Geneva and then buying a Swiss Travel Pass or as we are only doing a couple of trips, taking the train directly from Lyon to Lucerne on the one price.

It can become a bit overwhelming so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! Denise

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 February 2018 at 3:38:38 #876165

Hi Denise,

You would have to do the sums but I would think a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass would work out for you. Buy it on line before you travel then you would only need a ticket from Lyon to the Swiss border. The Swiss Travel Pass would kick in there. On you day trip to Lauterbrunnen you are bound to get up into the mountains and the pass will cover much of that. From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

If you travel to Lucerne via Montreux and Zweisimmen then you will cover the very scenic Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) route as far as Spiez. The SBB timetable will take you the faster route from Lausanne up to Bern via Fribourg.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 February 2018 at 4:49:47 #876166

Of course I don’t know what other rail plans you have in other parts of Europe. If extensive in France and Italy a Eurail Select Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass) may fit the bill better.

It won’t cover you in the Jungfrau mountains as well but it will certainly cover all your major rail trips in Switzerland and 50% off Lake Lucerne to Flüelen boat ride.

Deni61
    Participant
    35 posts
    12 February 2018 at 5:43:16 #876167

Hi Rockoyster, thanks for all your suggestions. I have actually found an international rail company here in Australia who will work out the best deal for all my travel arrangements. If I go with them they charge $40.00 to do all the bookings which will be great. With all the information I have obtained, I will know if they are steering me in the right track regarding price, etc. and as they do this every day it will be so much easier. It will be interesting to see what they come back with. Thank you 🙂 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 February 2018 at 5:45:09 #876168

Enjoy! 😎

• The thread ‘Lyon to Lucerne and more – which rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.