Lyon to Lucerne and more - which rail pass

Lyon to Lucerne and more - which rail pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Deni61
Deni61
35 posts
Feb 11, 2018 - 11:16 PM

Hi we are travelling on the 19th May from Lyon to Lucerne. We will also be doing a return day trip to Lauterbrunnen.

The next day we will be taking the ferry to Fruelen then taking the normal train from Fruelen to Chur.

With these trips, would we be better off getting off in Geneva and then buying a Swiss Travel Pass or as we are only doing a couple of trips, taking the train directly from Lyon to Lucerne on the one price.

It can become a bit overwhelming so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! Denise

rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Feb 12, 2018 - 3:38 AM in reply to Deni61

Hi Denise,

You would have to do the sums but I would think a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass would work out for you. Buy it on line before you travel then you would only need a ticket from Lyon to the Swiss border. The Swiss Travel Pass would kick in there. On you day trip to Lauterbrunnen you are bound to get up into the mountains and the pass will cover much of that. From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

If you travel to Lucerne via Montreux and Zweisimmen then you will cover the very scenic Golden Pass Line (www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) route as far as Spiez. The SBB timetable will take you the faster route from Lausanne up to Bern via Fribourg.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Feb 12, 2018 - 4:49 AM in reply to Deni61

Of course I don't know what other rail plans you have in other parts of Europe. If extensive in France and Italy a Eurail Select Pass (www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass) may fit the bill better.

It won't cover you in the Jungfrau mountains as well but it will certainly cover all your major rail trips in Switzerland and 50% off Lake Lucerne to Flüelen boat ride.

Last modified on Feb 12, 2018 - 4:50 AM by rockoyster
Deni61
Deni61
35 posts
Feb 12, 2018 - 5:43 AM

Hi Rockoyster, thanks for all your suggestions. I have actually found an international rail company here in Australia who will work out the best deal for all my travel arrangements. If I go with them they charge $40.00 to do all the bookings which will be great. With all the information I have obtained, I will know if they are steering me in the right track regarding price, etc. and as they do this every day it will be so much easier. It will be interesting to see what they come back with. Thank you :) :)

rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Feb 12, 2018 - 5:45 AM in reply to Deni61

Enjoy! 😎

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018