Many questions about Switzerland trip -late April

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 11:58:12 #878065

Really appreciate all your suggestions. I’m sure they would help me plan a good trip.

One of the main objectives of coming to Switzerland is enjoying its nature and scenery.

So which pnaromic trains and glacier expresses and other trains we must take to get to see the most pretty views

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    10 March 2018 at 15:18:02 #878066

That’s great. We can meet, if possible.

On 1st May, we might also skip Titlis. I have kept two options. One is to go to Zermatt or to take Gothard Express from Lucerne. Zermatt from Lucerne will be longer day though.

Gstaad, Zweisimmen and Saanen are also good options to watch if you want to see DDLJ shooting locations, if interested

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 15:48:32 #878067

I would use Interlaken as a base if you are traveling to Jungfraujoch and Zermatt yes. It is a bit simpler. Always use the timetable to compare travel times between cities to see what works for you.

Any of the express trains will give you great views of Switzerland. For you trip I might try to work in the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Andermatt or Chur if time allows or the Golden Pass from Lucerne to Montreux.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 0:52:24 #878068

Lausanne is interesting city on many levels. It’s the only city I know where two main city centre roads cross each other with one 100 metres above the other on a viaduct!:

http://www.lcvb.ch/content/im ages/dia_m2_lausanne_w ww_diapo_ch.jpg

Gstaad is not worth a visit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 6:43:28 #878069

Hey!! Thanks a lot!! How would I have Planned this trip without your help!!

So this is what’s decided:

27th April: We will be arriving early in the morning and would head to Luzern directly and spend 3 nights there. I’m working on where all we will going from here. Thereafter 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen (as I am not too excited about staying in Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen’s location also suits all the excursions) and finally the last night in Zurich.

Now working out on the exact itinerary and which all places we would be covering. Would come back for a review once I’m ready with it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 13:19:10 #878070

Hi Aditigupta,

Mt Titlis is not too far from Lucerne and Lucerne is such a lovely place to stay by the lake. Ah! don’t skip Titlis if you have kids. They would love the ice flyer!.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 3:01:46 #878071

Hi Alpenrose

wishing you a speedy recovery! You may not be keeping up with Rockoyster but you have left me miles behind!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 5:32:36 #878072

>> wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thanks Maggie!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 17:08:10 #878073

Hey again!!

We got our visa and tickets done and I’m so happy that this trip is finally happening.

I have made the first draft of the itinerary, I know it’s a little immature right now And would need your guidance to make a good trip.

The aim is to cover mountain peaks, enjoy the scenery and to experience the Panaromic trains.

We are arriving on 27th April 2018 at Zurich and would head directly to Lucerne

27/4- city tour, chapel bridge, dying lion. Would like to enjoy the night life so please suggest some nice club

Night at Lucerne

28/4- visiting mt. Titlis ( as the cogwheel rail at mt Pilatus will not be operational so we have chosen mt Titlis over it) although would have loved to do the toboggan ride there

So would spend some time at mt Titlis and enjoy all the sports available

Night at Lucerne

29/4- visiting mt. Rigi

Night at Lucerne

30/4- head to Lauterbrunnen

Drop the luggage and head to the golden pass train to cover the French side towards Montreux and Lausanne. Would come back and sleep in Lauterbrunnen

1/5- go to Zermatt

Enjoy the views of Matterhorn and then take the glacier express al the way to st. Moritz and come back and sleep again in Lauterbrunnen ( is this doable?? or shall I divide it in two days and skip going to mt. Rigi from Lucerne?? Basically I will have to reduce one day from Lucerne if you suggest so)

2/5- visiting Jungfraujoch and then Mürren for some wine tasting.

Sleep in Lauterbrunnen

3/5- visiting nearby places like Wengen and then heading to Zurich. After check in, enjoy the walk around the city and explore night life.

Sleep in Zurich

4/5- Rhine falls. And in the evening I will have to fly back

We have not made any reservations yet so everything is changeable as of now.

Eagerly waiting for your precious inputs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 4:19:00 #878074

Hi Aditigupta,

Thanks for sharing your itinerary. Looks pretty good and your question is about whether your plan for May 5th. is doable. It isn’t. You can use the Swiss timetable to calculate your travel time.

I would rather cover everything you would like to do in the Jungfrau region during your stay in Lauterbrunnen and go from St. Moritz directly to Zurich.

April 30st. will be a long day too. You could also consider doing this at the end of your stay in Lauterbrunnen, spend the night in Montreux and go from there to Zermatt.

Feel free to share an updated itinery with us.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 6:58:53 #878075

So basically you mean there is no point for me to keep staying in Lauterbrunnen

I should rather keep moving with all the luggage

also is it permitted to travel in the glacier express with all the luggage??

i would definately post the revised itinerary for your suggestions

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 14:59:31 #878076

Well, I guess it doesn’t really matter whether you’re traveling to Zermatt from Lauterbrunnen or Montreux.

I don’t know if you’ve looked at the timetable already but on the 30st. you will spend about 9 hours on the train (Lucerne – Lauterbrunnen: 2h19, Lauterbrunnen – Montreux: 4h, Montreux – Lausanne – Lauterbrunnen 3h8).

Yes, you can bring your luggage with you on the Glacier Express. If you want to travel more comfortably, you can use a luggage service. Read more here under ‘More on other websites’.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 23:07:00 #878077

IMHO your latest itinerary doesn’t work very well. I fear you are trying to squeeze too much in to too little time.

You certainly cannot go Lauterbrunnen – Zermatt – St Moritz – Lauterbrunnen in one day. Trying to do any of the Glacier Express will waste too much time.

If you try and see too many things you will not have time to enjoy each place in a relaxing way. What looks achievable on paper doesn’t always work in reality.

If you are set on doing Jungfraujoch, Titlis and Rigi, them do them all from Luzern. Although Jungfraujoch and Titlis are similar in that they are high altitude ’Glacier spectacular’ location . Personally I would drop Jungfraujoch. It takes quite a lot of ‘getting there’ and the ride itself in inside the mountain quite a lot of the way.

Incidentally Titlis and Rigi can be done from Luzern in one day, although you wouldn’t have time to do all the activities (not many activities on Rigi itself other than walking BTW)

Then, personally I would recommend:

Luzern (Titlis, Rigi)

Lauterbrunnen (Mürren – and view the Jungfrau from Murren)

Travel from Lauterbrunnen to Brig, via Interlaken, Spiez , Lötschberg mountain route (very scenic)

Hotel in Brig

Without luggage, days visits to Zermatt and Montreux/Chateau de Chillon

Travel Brig – Zurich direct by fast train (or via Bern to see the bears)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 5:27:14 #878078

Hey thanks a lot.

These were my after thoughts as well. So u mean I can totally skip the glacier express.

Please suggest where all I should be staying the nights to get the best feel of Switzerland.

I have a total of 7 nights in hand.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 11:23:48 #878079

I think your itinerary is fine. You just need to use the timetable to decide where you can/want to go each day. What is ok for you is not ok for someone else. The Glacier Express will make for a long day. You may want to skip it or you may want to keep it. Up to you. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 15:45:02 #878080

ARe the views on the glacier express really exclusive or can that be skipped??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 18:07:49 #878081

Well, they are very unique yes. If you have the time I would try to go (if this is your only planned panoramic train trip). You don’t have to take the Glacier Express train itself – regional and faster trains run the same route (and you can just do part of the trip – whatever fits your schedule).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 March 2018 at 20:29:13 #878082

You won’t actually see any glaciers, despite the name of the train. Given your limited don’t bother with the Glacier Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 17:46:50 #878083

Doubt if the bears in Bern will be up and about in April!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 8:07:42 #878084

This is the revised itinerary. Please suggest what changes can be made

Day 1(26th April)- arrive at Zurich airport at 1:30 pm

Head to Luzern and check in

Then head to mt Titlis for iceflyer (is it operational at that time?)

Sleep in Luzern

Day 2(27th April)

Enjoy the walk around the city and explore.

Go to mt. Pilatus only if tobb ride is operating

Else mt. Rigi- go by boat to Weggis, then cable car to Rigi kaltbad. Then train upto top ( Rigi kulm), then down by train to Vitznau, get back on a boat to Flüelen. Come back to Lucerne by boat or train

This route I have copied from some post. Is it a good way to explore and is it covered by STP??

Sleep in Lucerne

Day 3 (28th April)

Take the golden pass route via zweisimmen and reach Montreux.

Check in a hotel and enjoy the day exploring places around the Geneva region

Sleep in Montreux

Day 4 (29th april)

Day trip to Lausanne, lake Neufchâtel or gstaad.

Sleep in Montreux

Day5 (30th April)

Head to Zermatt early morning and explore it after leaving the luggage at the train station’s locker room

We are not interested in hiking but want good views of the place and Matterhorn so what do u suggest.. going to Matterhorn or some other mountain like for better views and general sports ??

Head to Lauterbrunnen in the night

Sleep in Lauterbrunnen

Day 6 (1st may)

Head to Mürren for Jungfrau views and some wine tasting

Trip to Schilthorn if time permits

Sleep in Lauterbrunnen

Day 7 (2nd may)

Explore Berner oberland and Lake Thun

Train to brig via Interlaken, Spiez, lotschberg mountain route

Sleep in Lauterbrunnen

Day 8 ( 3rd may)

Head to Zurich early in the morning and leave luggage at the train station

Visit Rhine falls or st. Gallen

(What will be a better choice??)

Fly back at 22:00 from Zurich airport

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • The thread ‘Many questions about Switzerland trip -late April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.