Transport options Luzern & Jungfrau late November

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2017 at 9:53:11 #813542

Hi Everyone,

I am really confused about how to move around during winter in Lucerne and Jungfrau Region with all the different operation hours. I have got so many different information from everywhere hence really appreciate someone’s help on the following:

During the period of 21st to 27th November

1) How to get to Pilatus Kulm and Mount Rigi from Lucerne and back during the above dates (open dates depending on weather)? I would like to experience the cogwheel train and boat ride along Lake Lucerne if it’s possible. Are the different mode of transportations free with the use of my Swiss Travel Pass Flex? Do I need to make any reservation?

2) Where can I find the available boat ride routes to cruise along Lake Lucerne? Is the round-trip free with the use of my Swiss Travel Pass Flex?

3) Is it true that the City Bus and Local Train in Lucerne are covered free with the use of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex?

During the period of 27th November to 4th December

4) How to get to Wilderswil from Lucerne? Is the Golden Pass Train (Interlaken Ost-Luzern and Interlaken Ost-Zweisimmen-Montreux) or Lucerne-Interlaken Express operating, and what is the difference? Is this free with the use of my Swiss Travel Pass Flex? Do I need to make any reservation?

5) What are the different mode of transportations operating to move around Jungfrau Region during the above dates – mainly Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald? These are also free with the use of my Swiss Travel Pass Flex, am I right?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards,

Stephenie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2017 at 12:35:57 #871160

Hi Stephy,

1. Travel to Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus will be free (whichever way you go). At that time, the only option for Mt. Pilatus is the cable car from Kriens (the cogwheel is scheduled to close for the winter on Nov.20.
      There are two options to get to Mt. Rigi (Classic round-trip and Majestic round-trip) both are explained here. Reservations are not needed.
    2. Yes, all boat trips on Lake Luzern are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. You can either use the Swiss railways timetable to plan a trip or you can find the specific timetable for Lake Luzern here (under the heading “more on other websites”).
    3. Yes (but with the Swiss Travel Pass Flex this counts as one of your travel dates).
    4. You can take a train from Luzern to Wilderswil (with a change at Interlaken Ost). The Luzern- Interlaken Express is the train you take between Luzern & Interlaken. That section is one part of the Golden Pass route (Luzern to Interlaken to Zweisimmen to Montreux). Reservations are not needed. You can pick any train on the timetable that you want – travel is free with the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.
    5. It will either be a cable car, bus or train. Use the Swiss railways timetable and enter the towns you are going between. The timetable will tell you what type of transport you will be on – bus, train or cable car. Have you seen the PDF map for the Swiss Travel Pass Flex? It can help you see what is fully or partially included on the pass. Red links are trains, yellow are buses, black are cable cars. Dotted lines indicate 50% off and dotted lines with a circle around the #1 are 25% off.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2017 at 1:45:59 #871161

>> During the period of 27th November to 4th December … What are the different mode of transportations operating to move around Jungfrau Region during the above dates – mainly Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald?

Unfortunately your stay in the Jungfrau Region corresponds with the closure of many mountain transport services. Some are closed for maintenance, others for the whole winter.

The following will be operating during your stay in the Jungfrau Region between 27 November and 4 December 2017:

• Gondola Grindelwald-First
    • Cable car and train Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp-Mürren

These will not be operating during that time:

• Gondola Männlichen-Grindelwald (except for the weekend 2-3 December, if there happens to be good snow conditions)
    • Cable car Männlichen-Wengen (except for the weekend 2-3 December, if there happens to be good snow conditions)
    • Cable car Mürren-Schilthorn
    • Funicular Mürren-Allmendhubel
    • Train Wilderswil-Schynige Platte
    • Funicular Interlaken–Harder Kulm
    • Boats on the Brienzersee (Lake Brienz)

The Trümmelbach Glacier Waterfalls will also be closed.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2017 at 13:00:14 #871162

Thank you so much, Lucas and Alpenrose! You guys are so helpful and great!

Just a few more questions, if you don’t mind:

1. Is the Glacier Gorge in Grindelwald BGF open during the period of 27 November to 4 December? Do they allow dogs?

2. I would be based in Wilderswil although for 7 days, I was wondering whether I should and can cover the following in one day. Is it feasible to stop along the way for an hour walk on our way up to Jungfraujoch? For instance:

From Wilderswil cogwheel train to Lauterbrunnen Valley (1 hour walk)

Continue cogwheel train to Wengen (1 hour walk)

Continue easy trail hiking to Murren and back to Wengen (1+ hour walk)

Continue cogwheel train to Kleine Scheidegg (1 hour walk)

Then finally cogwheel train to Jungfraujoch (Alphine Sensation, Ice Palace, etc – 2 to 3 hours)

3. What else can I do in Interlaken or Jungfrau Region, I seem to be able to cover everything in 4 days or less and have remaining 3 days?

4. Would you recommend I do day-trips to Montreux, Lausanne and Zermatt from Interlaken Ost or Saas-Fee? Taking into consideration the time and convenience.

5. What is the best route covered by Swiss Travel Pass Flex to get to Saas-Fee from Interlaken Ost/Wilderswil? I understand that I have to get to Visp or Brig first to hop on a PostBus.

6. I understand that I can rent a free bike in Zurich with an ID and CHF 20 deposit. Is this valid for tourists and what form of ID or can I present my passport?

Once again, thank you very much.

Best,

Stephy

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 October 2017 at 13:40:35 #871163

Hi Stephy,

1. No, it’s only accessible in summer unfortunately.

2. That’s a bit optimistic I’m afraid. Note that there’s only daylight from about 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM, so your activities need to fit in that time frame. Jungfraujoch takes a few hours to fully enjoy, excluding the trip up there (1h10 one way from Wengen). There is no easy hiking trail from Wengen to Mürren as the Lauterbrunnen valley is in between both towns. I’d recommend to go to Jungfraujoch first (unless the weather is better after lunch time), and use the remaining time for a walk.

3. The Jungfrau region page offers lot of suggestions. Do note that high altitude trails are only accessible in summer, but you can still walk in the Lauterbrunnen valley or from Grütschalp to Mürren for example.

4. Those places are far away from both towns. Saas-Fee is pretty isolated and people typically enjoy local activities there. A day trip to Zermatt would be doable, but still 2 hours one way. The timetable Lucas mentioned allows to plan things. And do take daylight hours into account!

5. Please see the timetable. All routes are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass Flex (see here). The one you mentioned is indeed the quickest option.

6. You’ll find details on http://www.zuerich.com/en/vis it/sport/zurich-on-wheels. A passport will certainly work.

Note that with lots of day trips and moving around the Swiss Travel Pass is often a much easier and cheaper option than the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Please see here for details:

• The thread ‘Transport options Luzern & Jungfrau late November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.