Pass option for Grindelwald, Zermatt, Jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 5:05:52 #816155

On September 9th 2018 we will be traveling from Milan to Interlaken by train, then staying in Interlaken for the next 6 days. During this stage we would like to do day trips to jungfraujoch , Zermatt and the Matterhorn, Grindelwald, Gimmelwald and anywhere else recommended. We will let the weather dictate which one we see and in what order. (We will probably not do any of the long tourist train rides.) Then we will travel to Lucerne on the 20th of September for 2 days. and spend a full day at Mt Pilatus before heading to Munich by train on the morning of the 22nd of September. My questions are

1. what Travel Pass is recommended ? I was thinking Swiss travel pass or half fare pass ?

2. on the way in do I just get a train ticket to the border and the pass will cover the rest on the trip to Interlaken ?

3. depending on what pass I get, will it cover my day trip activities?

4. do I just get a train ticket from the border on the way to Munich?

many thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 8:49:30 #885999

Hi Mark and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. I would look at the Swiss Travel Pass – it will cover most of your trips around the country
    2. Yes. You just buy a ticket from Milan to the Swiss border (Domodossola or Chiasso depending on your route).
    3. You can see what the Swiss Travel Pass covers here. You’ll get free or discounted travel up into the mountains (depending on the mountain).
    4. Correct. You can buy your ticket from the Swiss border to Munich (if you train it will be via Lindau or Basel usually). You can also bus from Zurich.
    Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    22 May 2018 at 18:45:30 #886000

Have a look at the Bernese Oberland pass.

I used one for a similar trip based at Interlaken but your planned trip to Zermatt and Gornergrat may decide the issue.

Happy travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 12:30:47 #886001

Hi Lucas,

Sorry about the delayed reply. Thank you very much for your advice, it has been very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 12:33:09 #886002

Thanks Gunzel,

I did as suggested, but I think the STP is best for me.

Cheers

• The thread ‘Pass option for Grindelwald, Zermatt, Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.