Planning a trip to Switzerland. Need advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2012 at 15:24:07 #805226

Hi,

My family (my husband, my daugther aged 3 and me) are planning for a trip to Switzerland in the month of June’12. We are in Germany right now and have booked the rail tickets to Basel on 15.06 (will reach Basel by 3:30 p.m. ). (Return date is 18.06 from Basel railways station at 11:00 p.m.).

We want to see the below places
    1. Mount Pilatus
    2. Mount Titlis
    3. Lucerne
    4. Interlaken
    Also planning to take a trip in Golden Panorma train.

1. Can you please advise us how to plan an efficient and cost effective trip so that all the above are covered in 4 days i.e. ?
    2. Also we have booked an hotel in Lucerne for our stay (the cost is 93 Euros per day without kitchen facility). But later we came to know that penthouse/studio appartments are available at a much cheaper rate in Engelberg (Central Switzerland- about 65 Euros per day with kitchen facility if stay duration is minimum 3 nights ) . But did not find any reviews of the stays there in the internet. Will it make sense to stay in penthouse rather than in hotel?

Thx

Regards,
    Radhika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    10 May 2012 at 5:46:44 #835971

Hello Radhika, and welcome to the forum. Pilatus and Titlis can easily be reached from Lucerne. A Golden Pass train is available between Lucerne and Interlaken. You can travel this route by regular trains, which don’t need seat reservations, or by a Golden Pass Panoramic train that does require seat reservation. Please use the timetable and the seat reservation page to plan and prepare for your trips. Browsing this forum and visiting the Bernese Oberland day trip overview will provide you with further tips.

If you’ll be traveling by train, you should definitely consider buying a rail pass to save on traveling costs. You could look into the 4 day Swiss Pass (if you prefer free traveling), the Swiss Flexi Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Whether a hotel or an apartment is better, really depends on your preferences. Apartments can be cheaper indeed and they’re a fine solution if you don’t mind cooking your own meals. Do note though that Engelberg isn’t located centrally. It’s close to the Titlis, but traveling to other towns and viewing points would require quite some traveling time each day. Moreover, your hotel may charge you for cancelling your booking. You may want to take a look at our apartment overview and hotels in Lucerne and Interlaken in order to make a good decision.

• The thread ‘Planning a trip to Switzerland. Need advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.