About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Rail pass advice for Zurich + 4 nights Grindelwald
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Rail pass advice for Zurich + 4 nights Grindelwald

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Suddenspiral
Suddenspiral
7 posts
Jun 26, 2022 - 12:08 PM

Hi all,

Apologies for what I'm sure is the latest in 1,000 threads of this type. I've done a bit of research and I'm still unsure as to the best rail pass option for my family (2 adults and 2 children aged between 18 and 24). There are just so many options, all of which seem pretty expensive!

We're visiting in early September and have the following itinerary:

1. Zurich for 2 days

2. Train from Zurich to Grindelwald

3. In Grindelwald for 4 nights doing various hikes around the Jungfrau region

4. Train from Grindelwald back to Zurich airport

I was initially thinking to just pay for the return train from Zurich to Grindelwald and get a 3-day travel pass for each of us while we're staying in Grindelwald, but I'm not sure that's the best/most cost-effective option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Arno
Arno
15583 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2022 - 3:08 PM in reply to Suddenspiral

Hi Suddenspiral, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

No worries. Picking the right rail pass can be a challenge indeed, and every traveler's situation is unique!

I think your idea makes sense. Some thoughts:

Below are easier options:

Unfortunately there's only one way to know for sure which option is most economical: making a detailed list of your plans and calculating as explained at https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. If that's too complex or if your plans aren't set in stone, you can pick what's easiest. You'll save money for sure with any of the options listed above compared to buying full-fare tickets. So you can't really go wrong.

I hope this gets you started. Let us know if you need more help.

Last modified on Jun 26, 2022 - 3:16 PM by Arno
Suddenspiral
Suddenspiral
7 posts
Jun 26, 2022 - 9:47 PM

Thanks for the detailed response, Arno. Much appreciated. That information is very clear and easy to understand. I'll check out the links and make a final decision.

Cheers.

Suddenspiral
Suddenspiral
7 posts
Jun 27, 2022 - 10:50 PM

Sorry, just a follow up question to anyone who may see this. I assume the answer is 'yes' but just wanted to check. Does the Jungfrau travel pass cover the bus from Bussalp back to Grindelwald? Just planning out my hikes and First > Bachalpsee > Faulhorn is definitely on the list, so just wanted to confirm my transport options for that one.

Anna
Anna
3729 posts
expert &
Jun 28, 2022 - 8:15 AM in reply to Suddenspiral

Hi Suddenspiral,

Unfortunately, the mountain bus lines in Grindelwald are not covered in the Jungfrau Travel Pass. I suggest taking the cable car from Grindelwald First.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Jun 28, 2022 - 8:15 AM by Anna
Suddenspiral
Suddenspiral
7 posts
Jun 28, 2022 - 8:52 AM in reply to Anna

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the quick response. That's a shame, but better to know now so I can plan accordingly!

Cheers.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 30% discount
Available until 31 October 2022. Book 6 months ahead.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/swisstravelpass

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022