Rail pass advice for Zurich + 4 nights Grindelwald

• Suddenspiral
    Participant
    7 posts
    26 June 2022 at 12:08:42 #827603

Hi all,

Apologies for what I’m sure is the latest in 1,000 threads of this type. I’ve done a bit of research and I’m still unsure as to the best rail pass option for my family (2 adults and 2 children aged between 18 and 24). There are just so many options, all of which seem pretty expensive!

We’re visiting in early September and have the following itinerary:

1. Zurich for 2 days

2. Train from Zurich to Grindelwald

3. In Grindelwald for 4 nights doing various hikes around the Jungfrau region

4. Train from Grindelwald back to Zurich airport

I was initially thinking to just pay for the return train from Zurich to Grindelwald and get a 3-day travel pass for each of us while we’re staying in Grindelwald, but I’m not sure that’s the best/most cost-effective option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 June 2022 at 15:08:07 #943611

Hi Suddenspiral, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

No worries. Picking the right rail pass can be a challenge indeed, and every traveler’s situation is unique!

I think your idea makes sense. Some thoughts:

Below are easier options:

Unfortunately there’s only one way to know for sure which option is most economical: making a detailed list of your plans and calculating as explained at https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. If that’s too complex or if your plans aren’t set in stone, you can pick what’s easiest. You’ll save money for sure with any of the options listed above compared to buying full-fare tickets. So you can’t really go wrong.

I hope this gets you started. Let us know if you need more help.

Suddenspiral
    Participant
    7 posts
    26 June 2022 at 21:47:50 #943612

Thanks for the detailed response, Arno. Much appreciated. That information is very clear and easy to understand. I’ll check out the links and make a final decision.

Cheers.

Suddenspiral
    Participant
    7 posts
    27 June 2022 at 22:50:02 #943613

Sorry, just a follow up question to anyone who may see this. I assume the answer is ‘yes’ but just wanted to check. Does the Jungfrau travel pass cover the bus from Bussalp back to Grindelwald? Just planning out my hikes and First > Bachalpsee > Faulhorn is definitely on the list, so just wanted to confirm my transport options for that one.

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 June 2022 at 8:15:06 #943614

Hi Suddenspiral,

Unfortunately, the mountain bus lines in Grindelwald are not covered in the Jungfrau Travel Pass. I suggest taking the cable car from Grindelwald First.

Regards,

Anna

Suddenspiral
    Participant
    7 posts
    28 June 2022 at 8:52:37 #943615

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the quick response. That’s a shame, but better to know now so I can plan accordingly!

Cheers.

• The thread ‘Rail pass advice for Zurich + 4 nights Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.