Swiss Travel Pass vs Jungfrau Travel Pass vs car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 14:47:13 #814353

Hello,

I would be grateful if someone could help me!

I have travelled quite a lot around the world but finding Switzerland the most difficult to get my head around. I want to work out which option is the best for the best value for a first trip.

4 adults in Switzerland in March. Flying in and out of Geneva.

We have booked 3 nights in Interlaken and need to decide our last two nights.

We are happy to drive as did this in Iceland and many other places but understand the train system is so advanced so happy to go with it as long as we can get a reasonable deal.

We would like to go to Top of Europe and also Schilthorn looks good. I can’t work out if Schilthorn is part of the Jungfrau region or not? Looking into the 3 day pass for Jungfrau Region and thought whilst in Interlaken that would be an option but on viator the start date is May so wondering how else i can look at this.

Also the Swiss Pass mentions Murran and free cable cars for Schilthorn but does that mean we would get right to the top of Schilthhorn for no additional charge?

I understand we will always have the top up to pay for the Top of Europe, also does the top up for Top of Europe include the Ice cave etc?.

Thanks in advance

Gilian

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 17:02:24 #876255

Hi Gillian, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I know how you’re feeling. It takes a bit of reading to fully understand how it works. We have a lot of information on our website, so I hope that we can be of any help.

I personally would recommend the train. Read here why. In the end it’s of course a personal choice.

Schilthorn is part of the Jungfrau Region. The cable car from Mürren to Schilthorn is closed for maintenance between 23-27 April 2018. Read this thread to understand what else is closed for maintenance in the Jungfrau Region.

The Jungfrau Travel Pass gives you 25% discount on Schilthorn and 50% on the Jungfraujoch. With the Swiss Travel Pass the Schilthorn is free and you get 25% discount on the Jungfraujoch. If you decide to travel by car you may want to look at the Swiss Half Fare Card. If you click on the links make sure to check out the validity tab as well.

I would suggest to look at how to choose the best rail pass. You’ll need to decide where you will be traveling to during your trip and do the math to compare different rail passes (vs car). I would look at the passes earlier mentioned. There is a spreadsheet on that page that will help you with the calculations.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 February 2018 at 21:40:21 #876256

Hi Gillian,

Let’s assume you use the trains. So as well as your Interlaken stay you need to get to and from Geneva.

Before you can know for sure which pass suits your travel plans you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

By the way Viator is right; if you are there in March the relevant Jungfrau Pass is this one http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauhikingsledgingpa ss/validity. A 3-day H&S Pass gets you 50% off Schilthorn from Mürren and Jungfraujoch from Eigergletscher.

Between Geneva and Interlaken at least in one direction follow the very scenic Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 12:56:36 #876257

Thank you so much for your help, very useful.

One other question, for the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging pass does it include Sledging? Or are they any additional fee’s?

Thanks in advance

Gillian

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 12:57:06 #876258

Brilliant, thank you so much for your help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 15:42:04 #876259

Hi Gillian,

There would be additional fees for renting the sledges yes. The Pass itself should get you everywhere you need to go to sledge though – have a look at Rockoyster’s link on validity to see a PDF coverage map.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass vs Jungfrau Travel Pass vs car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.