Two weeks in Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 2:19:04 #814698

staying in Zurich 3 nights then Wengen three nights then montreaux two nights Zermatt two nights st Moritz 3 nights train to Budapest

could I pls have some travel pass advice – biggest problem I can see is the consecutive day thing

thank you

cassa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 March 2018 at 3:21:22 #878351

Hello Cassa,

For what it’s worth I’d say Lucerne is a much nicer place to spend 3 nights than Zurich.

By “the consecutive day thing” do you mean the fact that the Swiss Travel Pass runs for consecutive days? Perhaps the available passes don’t precisely match the length of your Swiss visit? Perhaps there are days when you don’t expect to travel?

Could you elaborate on why you see it as your biggest problem.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 8:00:11 #878352

Hi Rockoyster

Sorry but please allow for older age person . Zurich is a must do as we have friends there and that part is already booked.

i did mean that the Swiss 8 day pass for instance says consecutive days – so yes does that mean it becomes null and void if we have a rest from travel on a day or two in between

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 8:09:47 #878353

Hi Cassa,

Yes, if you buy the Swiss Travel Pass (consecutive) for 8 days, starting say on June 1 it will expire at 05:00 on June 9 whether you use it or not.

You could by the Swiss Travel Pass Flex for 8 days, which lets you pick the dates you use it on. But it comes at a high premium on $. If my math is correct you are here for 13 days?

I would highly suggest buying the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass (consecutive). If is hardly any more money than an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex – and then you are covered for your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 9:58:01 #878354

Oh Thankyou Lucas – yes I can see now – sorry to be a bother – .

another question though please – the train from St Moritz to Budapest is not covered I’m guessing.

with that train there appears to be two options – straight to Budapest or via Vienna – I’m presuming you don’t actually get off the train – in which case I am wondering why you would take that one – am I missing something there?

thank you for being patient.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 15:35:30 #878355

Not a bother at all Cassa.

The Swiss Travel Pass will cover the portion of the trip within Switzerland. So you would buy a ticket from Buchs to Budapest. It covers you from St. Moritz to Buchs at the Swiss/Austrian border.

What train schedule website are you using? All trains from Switzerland o Budapest travel via Vienna but no you wouldn’t get off the train there. The best connection I can find (on a random date) is:

St. Moritz –> Chur –> Sargans –> Budapest (so you change trains in Chur and Sargans).

I use the Swiss railways timetable to find train options within or starting in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 19:54:33 #878356

Thank you once again Lucas – I will check out the timetable.

i believe there are discounts around now for Swiss travel pass – where would you suggest is the best site to book? I am in Australia.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 20:12:52 #878357

Happy to help – let us know if you need more help!

You can check out the Rail Europe promotion going on now on our promotions page for the Swiss Travel Pass. Just enter Australia under ‘country of residence’ and hit search.

We also have a list of trusted retailers here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 March 2018 at 2:29:04 #878358

The “discounts” from Rail Europe Australia don’t kick in unless you spend at least A$950. There regular price for an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass, for example, is more expensive than you can buy from the official Swiss Railway shop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/node/66.

If you are getting a consecutive pass rather than a flex pass you can order on-line and print at home which is very convenient. If you are getting a flex pass Happy Rails offer free shipping but it takes a few weeks to arrive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 6:07:24 #878359

Thankyou and Hi again.

i now have a new dilemma -plan was to go from Zermatt on glacier express to St Moritz and then train to Budapest. St Moritz seems to be outrageously expensive and there is nothinthing in particular I wanted to do there -so I need advice pls. We would still like to experience the Glacier Express -where would you suggest would be the best next place to go bearing in mind we want to get the train to Budapest from somewhere.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 March 2018 at 6:21:42 #878360

Hello Cassa,

The Glacier Express passes through Chur. You can stop overnight there rather than going all the way to St Moritz. That will give you one less train change you’ll need on your way to Budapest as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 6:53:05 #878361

Thanks but I have three nights to cover before train to Budapest – any thoughts?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 7:04:15 #878362

Hi Cassa,

You could disembark at Chur and then head to Davos if you want to be in the mountains still and is a little less expensive. Another option could be the Appenzell region, St. Gallen is a nice town with mountains nearby like Ebenalp and Säntis.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 7:17:17 #878363

Thank you once again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 March 2018 at 7:23:55 #878364

Hello Cassa,

What Lucas said. Or get off the Glacier Express at Andermatt and head up to Lucerne for 3 nights. Lucerne is a great city and lots of attractions close at hand.

Just as a matter of interest what time of year are you travelling? I can’t see any mention of that above.

It may be radical but if you are travelling in summer I’d be tempted to say scrub the Glacier Express and go from Zermatt to Lugano (via the Centovalli Express) for a few nights then take the Bernina Express bus and train to Chur and on from there to Budapest.

The Bernina Express knocks the socks off the Glacier Express for scenery IMHO and Lugano is a wonderful taste of Italy in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 5:00:43 #878365

Thanks all

we arrive in Zurich 28th April Nd train to Budapest on 11th May

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 March 2018 at 5:32:09 #878366

Well it’s not summer so just be aware of http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gondolarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018 while in Wengen.

• The thread ‘Two weeks in Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.