Swiss Travel Pass – Lugano to Interlaken & Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 16:49:17 #812627

Me and my husband are visiting Switzerland in mid September 2017.I wish to know if swiss travel pass allows travel from 1) zurich airport to Lugano as my husband has to attend a conference in Lugano, is it a direct train?

Otrher places to visit that I have in my mind are Rhine falls,Lucern,Bern,Zurich,Mount Titlis,Jungfraujoch.

I think going to Interlaken from Lugano after the conference will allow me to visit these places to be visited with less travel.Or will Zurich be more convenient central place to visit all other above mentioned places?

I want to know if swiss travvel pass allows travel from-

1)Lugano to Interlaken. 2)Interlaken to Jungfrau 3)Interlaken to Rhine falls 4)Interlaken to Lucern and Bern and to mount Titlis.

I would also like to know if it is possible to travel on Bernina express,golden line and Panorama express with the swiss travel pass.Not sure about the routes of these trains.Any suggestions about any other places that I can visit will be helpful.I have 4-5 days at hand.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 19:32:58 #866868

Hi Pooja64 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can reach those towns and mountains from Interlaken – but to Zurich and the RheinFall it is a long trip! Even to Lucerne and Mt. Titlis it is a few hours. Use the timetable to find out exactly (link below)

Our web page on the Swiss Travel Pass can answer all your questions.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to find out how long it will take to get to all of your destinations (and how may, if any, train changes are required).

You can travel for free in any Panoramic train but reservations are an extra cost and mandatory for the Glacier Express, the Bernina Express and the Gotthard Panorama Express trains.

This map will allow you to see the routes of the various panoramic trains in Switzerland. The most convenient for you would be the Golden Passline from Interlaken to Montreux or the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lugano to Luzern.

I wouldn’t worry about Zurich and the Rheinfall on this trip – but instead on Lugano, Luzern and Interlaken – there are a lot to do near these towns!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2017 at 15:16:34 #866869

Thanks Lucas.Thats a great help indeed.I have many questions though.

I am going to take Gotthard panorama express from Lugano to Luzern.I wish to know-

1.Travelling from Lugano to Goschenen I can see trains are for different directions-Zurich,Erstfeld,Luzern which one should I take?Or is it immaterial?Gotthard panorama express can be booked at SBB or any other website?

2.Travelling from Goschenen to Fluelen which direction train should I take..Erstfeld or Fluelen Gruonbach?

3.Fluelen to Luzern how to book the boat ride?

4.How much approximate time will it take for me for above journey?Do I need to reserve seats beforehand for this journey and how do I reserve?

My second question is –

About trip to Mt.Titlis from Luzern what I understand that I can take train from Luzern to Engelberg but after that whats the mode of transport to mount Titlis?How can I book that journey from Engelberg to mount Titlis nd then back to Engelberg?

3rd question-If I wish to take and could extend my journey,is it easier to take either of bernina express or glacier express to enjoy that travel from some point where I can go from Lugano or Luzern easily?I really want to experience these trains.

I have more queries,will ask in further posts.

Thanks a lot again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2017 at 19:06:19 #866870

Hi pooja64,

1. If you search for your routes on the timetable link on my above post it will tell you the direction of the train that you are going to take.
    2. You want to go in the direction of Erstfeld. The train you ultimately take make not show that direction (it could be Zurich or Basel etc). So follow the timetable’s information for your specific train
    3. You can’t reserve a seat on any lake cruises. If you are coming in on the Gotthard Panorama Express train from Lugano you will have time to get to the boat dock before it leaves (it doesn’t sell-out)
    4. You can find the timetable for the Gotthard Panorama Express here. The entire trip (Lugano to Luzern) is about 6 hours. Reservations are mandatory for this train – you can make them here.

I hope that helps!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 16:51:48 #866871

Thanks again Lucas.The link above you sent for reservations,for some unknown reasons doesn’t allow to book,the option of adding to the cart is not working.Any other way to reserve?How much in advance you think the seats should be booked?When you travel by the scenic trains if I do not wish to stay say for example in Montreux or in Chur just the train journey in itself is worth the experience?and i can come back from station itself and take regular train?Is it advisable to take scenic train one way and return back by regular train to save the time or the view while returning is different?

Does each panoramic train have only one time schedule or there are multiple timings to choose from?

Golden pass train does not need reservation?

Is it possible to take rigi rail route and mount titlis both to be done in one day?

Too many questions I have…:(

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 7:46:18 #866872

Hi Pooja64,

The link is working for me at the moment – what is the error? Make sure you are selecting 1st class or 2nd class before trying to click pay.

I think I would make reservations as soon as you are sure on the date you want/must take the train. The sooner the better.

Yes, I think the panoramic trains are worth the trip even if you aren’t staying too long at the end destination – it is all about the trip on those trains. 🙂

Regular trains travel on all the same routes as the panoramic trains so you can take those on your return trip (a little faster and no reservations needed).

During the summer there are multiple departures every day for the panoramic trains (except the Gotthard Express noted on the timetable link I sent you on the previous post).

You can find the trains on the Swiss railways timetable here. The Bernina Express is noted as BEX, the Glacier Express is GEX and the Golden pass trains (search between Zweisimmen and Montreux is MOB).

Reservations are suggested but not required on the Golden Pass (usually just between Zweisimmen and Montreux is it needed).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – Lugano to Interlaken & Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.