Swiss Travel Pass and Jungfrau Pass in September

• Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    31 May 2022 at 17:56:38 #827368

We will be staying 3 days and 3 nights in the Jungfrau region in September , sleeping in Wengen. We plan to visit all of the attractions such as Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheeidegg , Schilthorn and many more. I have seen many threads about the Swiss Travel Pass (STP) and the Jungfrau Travel Pas (JTP). We have a 15 day STP and we considered buying the JTP also but to the best of my research of this JTP pass, you still have to pay a discounted fee (50%) to go up and down, for example, Jungfraujoch , maybe even Schilthorn, even though we have both passes. It is a bit confusing on the validity maps also. I have a few questions:

From my understanding, with a STP, we get 25% off Jungfraujoch travel from Eigergletscher., yet with the JTP you get 50% off? Is that correct?

There is also some confusion in the purchase documents about purchasing a JTP. which costs 188 CHF. The document states under Discount, “A 25% discount applies to the purchase of the JTP if you have a valid Swiss Travel Pass”. It then goes on the next sentence, ” This discount only applies to Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Which one is it? Do I get 25% off the 188 CHF” if I purchase with a STP?

You will also benefit from a 50% discount on the connecting ticket from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujach. What is a connecting ticket?

Do many travelers with the same time fram and plans in Jungfrau Region purchase both passes?

Once I travel this region, maybe this will all make sense.

Joejax

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    31 May 2022 at 20:15:12 #942648

Hi Joejax,

With all the different railpasses it is easy to get confused, because sometimes I get confused too 🙂 Now let’s address your questions one by one.

1. Firstly, there are various options to travel to Jungfraujoch. You can find the details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere
    If you choose to travel by train only, your Swiss Travel Pass will let you travel for free up to Grindelwald or Wengen. Then you need to get a ticket (discounted 25%) for the remaining journey to Kleine Scheidegg, Eigergletscher and Jungfraujoch. You can also travel by cable car from Grindelwald Terminal to Eigergletscher then to Jungfraujoch with a discounted ticket. With the Jungfrau Travel Pass, you pay a fixed return ticket (CHF75) from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch (doesn’t matter if you take the train or cable car).

2. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, you can purchase the Jungfrau Travel Pass at a reduced rate. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass Flex, you will only get the reduced rate if your travel dates on the STP Flex match those on the JTP.

3. The connecting ticket refers to the trip from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch, which is not covered by the STP or the JTP.

If you’re planning a lot of mountain excursions in the Jungfrau region, I think the JTP is worth the consideration especially if you want to avoid buying tickets for each trip.

Let us know if you need more info.

regards,

Anna

Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    1 June 2022 at 1:14:51 #942649

Anna,

Thanks for the quick and detailed response. I think we will also get the JTP.

Joejax

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2022 at 6:46:33 #942650

Hi Joejax,

You can buy the Jungfrau Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/price.

Let us know if you have further questions,

Ildiko

Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    1 June 2022 at 11:38:58 #942651

Anna,

Thank you. If I have a SBB Swiss Travel Pass. Is it best to get a SBB Jungfrau Travel Pass? Is this even possible? I searched through the link you sent and it appeared as the Happy Rail is the only option. If the two companies is the only way to do it, I am OK with that.

Joejax

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2022 at 11:53:46 #942652

Hi Joejax

it does not matter where you buy the Jungfrau Travel Pass, it will be the same pass. For example there is no difference between SBB Swiss Travel Pass or STC (=SBB tourist web shop) Swiss Travel Pass or Happyrail Swiss Travel Pass etc. They are just the resellers. But the passes are the same.

In the case of the Jungfrau Travel Pass, you cannot buy it via the SBB mobile app.

Here you can learn more about how to use the Jungfrau Travel Pass after you’ve bought the e-ticket: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/howtouse

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    1 June 2022 at 12:52:49 #942653

Ildiko,

Thank you to you and Anna for the clarification. I understand it now.

Joejax.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass and Jungfrau Pass in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.