Swiss Travel Pass is the way to go

• Alongor
    Participant
    6 posts
    22 September 2017 at 9:34:03 #813325

Hello all.

While planning our trip, I struggled as to whether the Swiss Travel Pass was really a good deal. Well, we just got back, and the Swiss Travel Pass was the best way to travel. I bought it online and printed it out at home. It doesn’t get traded in for a plastic card. What I printed out was the ticket.

We just got on the train, boat, or bus and showed it to the conductor when they came around. You do have to be careful not to get it wet or wrinkle it up because it has to be scanned. If I wasn’t sure if transportation or activity was covered by the pass, I just allowed a few minutes ahead to ask at the train station or tourist information. Everyone spoke English so there was no problem there.

The Swiss Travel Pass fully covered us on the Bernina Express to Chur (but you must make a seat reservation for a small fee), travel to Lucerne, Wengen, Mount Pilatus, Schynige Platte, Interlaken Ost, Geneva, Montreux, and Chillon Castle. Traveling by train is incredibly easy…just be sure to note that there are 2 classes on the train – 1st and 2nd, depending on the Swiss Travel Pass you bought. We bought 2nd class tickets and were very happy.

We can’t wait to go back!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 13:32:31 #870058

I fully agree with Alongor that the STP is the best way to go if you are exploring much of Switzerland and constantly moving daily. However, if you are based at a certain location for a long period, it might not be the best. The half fare pass would probably be the better option.

I had the 15 days STP and traveled from Geneva to Lausanne, Montreux, Golden Pass line, Thun, Spiez, Adelboden, Kandersteg, Brig, Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Gimmelwald, Grindelwald, Schynige Platte, Interlaken, Brienz, Lucerne, Zurich, Bellinzona, Locarno and Lugano.

I cruised on Lake Geneva (Montreux – Chillon return & Cully to Vevey), Lake Thun (Thun – Oberhofen – Spiez), Lake Brienz (Brienz – Geissbach See – Iseltwald) and Lake Lucerne (To Vitznau and back from Weggis). Could have done a cruise on Lake Zurich too but since December 16, they have introduced a surcharge of CHF5 per passenger. I know its only CHF 5, and worth paying for, but i was getting off on the next stop, so didn’t take the cruise.

Entrance to Chillon, Oberhofen, Spiez and Bellinzona castles were all included in the STP. Covered Mt Pilatus and Mt Rigi as well. FIFA museum in Zurich was included.

The best advantage is that you don’t need to worry about buying any ticket, just check the train times and the platform and hop on and show the STP to the conductor. As mentioned by Alongor, you have to keep the ticket safe/dry/wrinkle free as sometimes, they would scan to check for authenticity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 13:36:39 #870059

Hi

We are greatly relieved to learn the utility of the Swiss Travel Pass from an actual user.

We are going next week and have purchase the pass from India offering 1 free day through Rail Europe. We will be staying at an odd place Chamoussin for 5 days and then leave for Italy .

Any valuable tips. We are 6+ couple.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 September 2017 at 6:52:50 #870060

Thanks for sharing this Alongor! I hope to see you back here on MySwissAlps when you’re preparing for your next trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 September 2017 at 17:25:21 #870061

Yes. STP is best. To not to worry about getting it wet, i had cut the needed half of the A4 paper and laminated it. It was helpful. Also we got compliments from many ticket checkers :). They really liked the way did it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2017 at 6:45:44 #870062

Interesting option for those who have access to a laminator! 🙂

If you buy the Swiss Travel Pass online it can be emailed to you for printing – that way if you lose it or it gets damaged somehow you can always print another copy (for those of us without laminating machines)!

pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    29 September 2017 at 15:24:00 #870063

In the US, just go to Staples for laminating.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2017 at 7:32:04 #870064

Yes that can work!

but I don’t want forum members to think it is needed. This is the first time I’ve heard of anyone doing that. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2017 at 18:16:28 #870065

We bought it online at RailEurope and we had a 2 day free offer. They said because of the offer we cannot get it emailed, but they sent the paper ticket in a booklet type case so it was pretty safe from getting damaged if kept properly in a bag.

Email option is the best if available !

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass is the way to go’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.